Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2015

Comments

• 5-0 to the Aussies.
  • 5-0 to the Aussies.

11.5 on betfair, if it wasn't for the ropey weather we have I would lump on.
  • Went 5-0,4-1 and 3-1 to the Convicts and a pointless 2-1 to us for the series...
  • Australia were run through not by a Tredwell-type accuracy-merchant but a big-spinning leggie (who also bowled quite accurately) - England don't have a bowler of this type. Rashid isn't that big a spinner of the ball - he does have good variations, but he bowls a lot of tripe. Borthwick has hardly bowled this season. If Ali finds more consistency he really is the best option as he gets turn and bounce. (Those saying Root is better ignore the fact that Root only ever really gets wickets when batsmen play for turn that isn't there, having faced turning offspin beforehand.) I've started to lose faith in Ali a little and he needs to get it back together pronto, but those suggesting Tredwell are being ridiculous - he'd put as much fear up Australia as a knitted doll. Playing a spinner because they're so unthreatening the opposition might get themselves out trying to hit them for six is not the way to go here - you need someone who can be a wicket threat in defensive circumstances.
  • Pedro45 said:

We have to pick a spinner, and Rashid is the best we have currently it seems. Riley is not firing yet, and Moeen and Root cannot be expected to bowl tightly. Tredders is too old and a very backward step. None of the left armers seem to be shouting for a place this year, so it's Rashid for me. He can bat too, possibly as well as Moeen? We will pick four seamers (inc Stokes), and it's a call between Wood, Jordan, Finn and maybe Footitt to back up Jimmy and Broad. Cook, Lyth and Root are shoe ins, but if/when Ballance and Bell fail once more, the clamour will be on to replace them. Can't see KP being resurrected (much as I'd like it) so it looks like Taylor, Hales, Hildreth, and the like will be battling the incumbents close to August...

Oh, and like The President, I'm not worthy of Ashes tickets despite always going to see other test teams every year!

What about Monty ??!!
    Not sure what Monty's doing at the moment but it's certainly not playing cricket. Not played a game or tweeted since April.

Which is presumably why Essex brought in Adeel Malik (brother of Shoaib and I believe English qualified) who, for the last two seasons, has been playing for Bexley in the Kent Premier Division.
  • Pedro45 said:

We have to pick a spinner, and Rashid is the best we have currently it seems. Riley is not firing yet, and Moeen and Root cannot be expected to bowl tightly. Tredders is too old and a very backward step. None of the left armers seem to be shouting for a place this year, so it's Rashid for me. He can bat too, possibly as well as Moeen? We will pick four seamers (inc Stokes), and it's a call between Wood, Jordan, Finn and maybe Footitt to back up Jimmy and Broad. Cook, Lyth and Root are shoe ins, but if/when Ballance and Bell fail once more, the clamour will be on to replace them. Can't see KP being resurrected (much as I'd like it) so it looks like Taylor, Hales, Hildreth, and the like will be battling the incumbents close to August...

Oh, and like The President, I'm not worthy of Ashes tickets despite always going to see other test teams every year!

What about Monty ??!!
    Not sure what Monty's doing at the moment but it's certainly not playing cricket. Not played a game or tweeted since April.

Which is presumably why Essex brought in Adeel Malik (brother of Shoaib and I believe English qualified) who, for the last two seasons, has been playing for Bexley in the Kent Premier Division.
    Got man of match in T20 last night for Ravi Boparas benefit. Played for Essex all stars against er Essex. Took 4-16-4
  • MrOneLung said:

Pedro45 said:

What about Monty ??!!

Got man of match in T20 last night for Ravi Boparas benefit. Played for Essex all stars against er Essex. Took 4-16-4
    He's found his level then - Benefit games. Expect to see him playing for Lashings soon with John Lever and John Emburey who, despite being both into their 60s, are probably still better fielders than he'll ever be!
  • Jos Buttler and Joe Root both outshone their Oz counterparts in the Roses match last night including a 32 ball unbeaten and match-winning (off last ball when Maxwell missed an easy run-out) 71 for Buttler coming in at no 4 for Lancs. Done on a day when sadly, the person he moved counties for, Craig Kieswetter, announced his retirement due to an eye injury sustained whilst batting last season.
  • Matt Fisher at 17 years old bowled penultimate over for Yorkies, ok, got tonked for a couple of sixes by Buttler, but very mature for a 17 year old - and in high 80's. One for the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Matt Fisher at 17 years old bowled penultimate over for Yorkies, ok, got tonked for a couple of sixes by Buttler, but very mature for a 17 year old - and in high 80's. One for the future.

He's the lad who made his Yorkshire debut and in the England U19 squad at just 15. A relative veteran now though you do worry about what the body through is going as a fast bowler when they hit the top that early.

He's the lad who made his Yorkshire debut and in the England U19 squad at just 15. A relative veteran now though you do worry about what the body through is going as a fast bowler when they hit the top that early.
    They need to send him down a coal mine for a couple of years, to toughen him up. That's how it worked in the old days, wasn't it!
  • edited June 2015
    Days 2, 3and 4 edgbaston for me.
  • Ian Bell smashed Ben Stokes all round the park last night.
  • 2nd Test between WI and OZ in Jamaica.
    Oz currently 146-3 - nice to see Warner getting out 3rd ball for 0 - a more obnoxious (aside from Haddin) git there isnt, i really hope England fans give him some shit this year.
  • Would just like to say thank you to Matt Prior for so many great memories - one of my favourite players of past decade.
  • Bumped up today. Aus play Essex today. In 2005 Alastair Cook announced himself to the world with 214 against the Aussies.
    Hopefully Topley plays.
  • Bumped up today. Aus play Essex today. In 2005 Alastair Cook announced himself to the world with 214 against the Aussies.
    Hopefully Topley plays.

I'll be there! To hell with work on the hottest day of the year. Topley isn't in the squad, but young Jamie Porter is... His uncle posts here. I'm interested in seeing him bowl, but there are a few Essex bowlers missing - topley, Napier, Masters, panesar... Looking very lightweight (apart from Jesse ryder who is of course fat. His dibbly dobblers should give Michael Clarke et al food for thought). Bopara is playing though. He's got unfinished business against the Aussies, so hopefully he plays well.
  • It's a pretty strong Aussie team apart from MJ. Shame about the bowlers, hopefully Porter has a good game
  • #PrayForEssex it'll probably go the way of the Kent game! Let's just hope a few Aussies step on rugby balls. Porter has probably been our best bowler this season. He'll be well up for this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rashid or Ali for the first test, expect both to be selected and Ali picked, lets hope he steps up at Trent Bridge, we will find out in a few hours I guess?
  • I think Rashid will be in the squad. I hope Ballance isn't he has gone back to Yorkshire and has hardly scored a run. I would drop the snail, move Root up to number three and bring Bairstow in. He is bang in form after his 200 against Durham. Plus let us see whether we can be a bit more positive against the Aussies.
  • dickplumb said:

I think Rashid will be in the squad. I hope Ballance isn't he has gone back to Yorkshire and has hardly scored a run. I would drop the snail, move Root up to number three and bring Bairstow in. He is bang in form after his 200 against Durham. Plus let us see whether we can be a bit more positive against the Aussies.

I agree, Bairstow is in the form of his life, would definitely like to see him in the squad at some point, Ballance needs a cracking first test with him breathing down his neck.
  • Expect 13 names:

Cook
    Ali
    Anderson
    Ballance
    Bell
    Broad
    Buttler
    Lyth
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Root
    Stokes
    Wood

Expect Rashid and Plunkett to be left out of the 1st test team...
  • Pedro45 said:

Expect 13 names:

Cook
    Ali
    Anderson
    Ballance
    Bell
    Broad
    Buttler
    Lyth
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Root
    Stokes
    Wood

Expect Rashid and Plunkett to be left out of the 1st test team...

I will be very surprised if this is not the case.

• Good luck Jamie - hope the Aussies dont scar you for life !!!!

Essex win toss and field.
  • 9 off the first over ........
  • Why would you field first in these conditions is beyond me.
  • It's more of a courtesy to the tourists I think.
  • It's more of a courtesy to the tourists I think.

Yeah, let's give them nice Aussies a help in hand.

We never learn do we.

Essex should have had them out in the field for 2 days, until they were all suffering from heat exhaustion.