Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• Options
    Just leave the French alone.
  • Options

ditto Italy. But we should be criticising FIFA and Blatter, not nations on this thread.

I love Italy. Surely the Italians didn't vote for Blatter as well?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    No they didn't - I think any European country association voting for him has an eye on getting an upcoming tournament. Might work against them when he is toppled though!!!
  • Options

No they didn't - I think any European country association voting for him has an eye on getting an upcoming tournament. Might work against them when he is toppled though!!!

Which is why Spain joined the French in voting for Septic!
  • Options
    Looking across twitter, a number have picked up on the Mail on Sunday report that 18 UEFA members went against Platini and voted Blatter.

UEFA have called an emergency meeting for next Saturday.

Also Swiss prosecutors WILL be speaking with Blatter. Good cop before the FBI?? Hopefully!!!
  • Options

That is sobering news about the 18 Uefa turncoats. Maybe Mickey P has got a major in-house problem - blimus, his own (French) FA turned against him. When Norman Stanley Blatter is finally sent down there could be a real power vacuum and no telling how things will pan out. This could get a lot worse before it gets better.

Oh, and btw, concerning the French - they love trams, so please cut them some slack ....
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

France has literally contributed nothing to humanity. Not sure why they are allowed to have their own country to be honest.

My wife replies that 'they gave the world Molière and Victor Hugo'!
  • Options
    40% of English vocabulary comes from French.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mange tout Rodders. Mange tout.
  • Options
    100% of the French language comes from English

A b c etc
  • Options
    I could be wrong but I believe the French still collect debt repayments from Haiti, one of the most impoverished nations on earth, from when they threatened to invade the country in 19th century and were bought off. Doubt they give much truck to natural disaster appeals for that country. Scumbags or perhaps I'm biased from contempt at my attempts to speak french in Paris in my teens.
  • Options

The French are indeed eloquent ....

"I unclog my nose at you, you cheesy lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters .... your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries .... I fart in your general direction !!"
  • Options

100% of the French language comes from English

A b c etc

In fact, they passed a law about 15 to 20 years ago to stop the invasion of English words into French - that's how paranoid they are about it. I recall a newspaper story about a Paris rap radio station that was forced to play the same one minute track in French over and over again. This new law required them to play something like 20 mins of French language music every hour and that was just about the only French language rap track they had at the time. Their listeners were not amused.
  • Options
    According to the French, everything that is great in the World is because of the French.

Their collective chips on shoulders would be enough to even keep Tavern happy.

Wonderful country, fantastic people, it's just that they need to remember that twice in the past 100 years, they owe us a phenomenal debt of gratitude. Something they've clearly forgotten about unlike their neighbours in Belgium and The Netherlands.

I hold my hands up to the French Dad's Army - just as I would expect if the Germans invaded our country.

However, we would have never, ever,, ever ever formed a Division like the 33rd Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Charlemagne (1st French).

• Options
    Stop banging on about France...

Now onto Euro 2016, where is it being held again?
  • Options
    Here's a nice little story from South Africa:

iol.co.za/sport/soccer/danny-yes-we-paid-r120m-1.1865523#.VWsiyWfDWSo

Danny: Yes, we paid R120m
    May 31 2015 at 07:01am
    By Phalane Motale

Johannesburg - Newly-elected Nelson Mandela Bay executive mayor and South African Football Association (Safa) president Danny Jordaan has confirmed that the 2010 Local Organising Committee (LOC) paid $10 million (now about R120m) after South Africa won the bid to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup.

But he has insisted this was not a bribe.

This is the first time that South Africa has confirmed to paying money to a football association then led by former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner, the man at the centre of the bribery claims that have rocked the soccer governing body.

Warner is one of the officials arrested and indicted this week by the FBI in connection with alleged corruption and bribery at Fifa.

The admission follows a week of denials from local football authorities and the government, that South Africa had paid a $10m bribe to secure the hosting of the 2010 World Cup.

Jordaan, who was the 2010 LOC chief executive, said that the $10m was paid to the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) in 2008 as South Africa’s contribution towards their football development fund.

Warner was at the time president of Concacaf. This week several high ranking officials were arrested in Zurich. Warner was arrested in Trinidad.

South Africa is alleged to have promised to pay Warner $10m for his support for the 2010 bid. After South Africa won the vote‚ football officials allegedly said it was not possible to pay him out of South African government funds.

Instead‚ the money was deducted directly from a payment Fifa made to South Africa to help finance the hosting of the tournament, thereby concealing the alleged bribe.

It is alleged that Warner, in return, paid two other Fifa executives.

Of the $100m (about R1.2 billion) which Fifa had to pay Safa for hosting the 2010 World Cup, The Sunday Independent has reliably been informed that Safa only received $80m.

Fifa had deducted $20m ($10m for the building of Safa House and the other $10m was for the “Concacaf development fund”).

--- there's more; it's a long article ---
  • Options
    Jack Warner now playing his 'Get out of Jail free' Card.

• Options

I love France. Staggeringly beautiful countryside. If only the British had had the same deference to town and village planning we wouldn't now have the soulless town centres we have pretty much without exception up and down the country. It's hard to visit a town or village in France that doesn't have its architectural medieval past intact.

France and UK have about the same population sizes but France has twice the space
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015

I could be wrong but I believe the French still collect debt repayments from Haiti, one of the most impoverished nations on earth, from when they threatened to invade the country in 19th century and were bought off. Doubt they give much truck to natural disaster appeals for that country. Scumbags or perhaps I'm biased from contempt at my attempts to speak french in Paris in my teens.

I can confirm from my own experience and cost that the French hate people trying to speak their language, whilst virtually all other countries like and respect it. They, like us are far from perfect but don't deserve some of teh comments they get. Anyway let's get back to Blatter.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I love France. Staggeringly beautiful countryside. If only the British had had the same deference to town and village planning we wouldn't now have the soulless town centres we have pretty much without exception up and down the country. It's hard to visit a town or village in France that doesn't have its architectural medieval past intact.

France and UK have about the same population sizes but France has twice the space
    What's that got to do with town planning ?
  • Options

Using an article from the fake news website The Onion as evidence, former FIFA Vice President Jack Warner alleged Sunday the U.S. had pursued corruption charges against him and other executives out of spite at having lost the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ub0Dr006yE

Haha brilliant -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/31/ex-fifa-vice-president-jack-warner-swallows-onion-spoof

"In a sometimes confusing eight-minute statement Warner seems to offer a series of gifts to satirists, at one point thanking supporters for the “blank cheques” they have sent him, and also stating: “Nothing I have done within Fifa has been inconsistent with the international culture of Fifa.”"
  • Options

Of course there were appeals and charity donations after the disaster. What a load of old tosh.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder on Andrew Jennings books, from I think NLA and others: although maybe Jack Warner's trying to peddle it on Amazon for 200 quid. I'll have to read some of his books along. impressed that he says Warner was the most corrupt person he'd ever met even after hs previous investigation of Colombian cartels and corruption at Scotland Yard and other areaas of that business.

As for the corruption, people forget the endemic corruption via the FA when we were all growing up. Stan Flashman in multiple anecdotal accounts seems to have earnt much money from FA cup final tickets that were illegally obtained via players and FA affiliates; it was accepted players could do this for an extra bonus. Most probably Ted Croker had no active involvement but little was done until the 90's when people such as Jim Melrose was pursued with vigour. There is a world of difference between Warner and this murky world, but off the books payments were everywhere in the game. I wonder if Barry Fry paid full tax on his Stan Collymore sale bonus? The point here is corruption is prevalent where there is acceptance and no attitude to confront. The glib statement on absolute power corrupts neglects that weak power and the multitude of power broking deals needed ignores any fiduciary morals, incubating corruption via every level of acquaintance. These corruptions would not have come close to the judicial courts if England or the US had succesful WC bids. Graham Kelly, Greg Dyke, David Cameron, Obama would have all walked hand in hand with Blatter after a succesful bid. Who supported a US bid? Blatte. Who supported Qatar? Platini.

Putting aside Platini beeing a brilliant football memory for me, all those who attack Blatter should question how this corruption can be replaced by a meritocracy. Northern Hemisphere interests are not met. We demand financial propriety. We do nothing when we bid for WCs.
  • Options
    Great post Colin Tat, though I can't see what it's got to do with France or the French Language. Sadly, the US/UK involvement did probably stem from rejection. It does'nt really change the corruption of FIFA, simply explains a little of who's on who's side. As has been pointed out before, if Blatter and co are so clean, why did'nt they sue Jennings when his book painted them as a sort of mafia.
  • Options

I agree - it is indeed a beautiful country. If you look at most of their major cities and large towns they are filled with preserved medieval buildings and retain the old rambling street patterns. Absolutely beautiful.

The UK on the other hand - a typical city has a few preserved buildings hidden amongst crass modernity. A prime example being Coventry - absolute concrete jungle.

I've been scratching my head trying to think why that might be? Oh hang on a minute .....

And as for staggeringly beautiful countryside - the Lake District, The Cotswolds, North Wales, Cornwall, The Highlands of Scotland - all absolute shitholes!
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Thanks for the reminder on Andrew Jennings books, from I think NLA and others: although maybe Jack Warner's trying to peddle it on Amazon for 200 quid. I'll have to read some of his books along. impressed that he says Warner was the most corrupt person he'd ever met even after hs previous investigation of Colombian cartels and corruption at Scotland Yard and other areaas of that business.

As for the corruption, people forget the endemic corruption via the FA when we were all growing up. Stan Flashman in multiple anecdotal accounts seems to have earnt much money from FA cup final tickets that were illegally obtained via players and FA affiliates; it was accepted players could do this for an extra bonus. Most probably Ted Croker had no active involvement but little was done until the 90's when people such as Jim Melrose was pursued with vigour. There is a world of difference between Warner and this murky world, but off the books payments were everywhere in the game. I wonder if Barry Fry paid full tax on his Stan Collymore sale bonus? The point here is corruption is prevalent where there is acceptance and no attitude to confront. The glib statement on absolute power corrupts neglects that weak power and the multitude of power broking deals needed ignores any fiduciary morals, incubating corruption via every level of acquaintance. These corruptions would not have come close to the judicial courts if England or the US had succesful WC bids. Graham Kelly, Greg Dyke, David Cameron, Obama would have all walked hand in hand with Blatter after a succesful bid. Who supported a US bid? Blatte. Who supported Qatar? Platini.

Putting aside Platini beeing a brilliant football memory for me, all those who attack Blatter should question how this corruption can be replaced by a meritocracy. Northern Hemisphere interests are not met. We demand financial propriety. We do nothing when we bid for WCs.

Good post, interesting history and interesting speculation about the future, but the problem is now, the problem is Blatter, he must go and go now. Then the future can be mulled over and decided upon.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    bobmunro said:

I agree - it is indeed a beautiful country. If you look at most of their major cities and large towns they are filled with preserved medieval buildings and retain the old rambling street patterns. Absolutely beautiful.

The UK on the other hand - a typical city has a few preserved buildings hidden amongst crass modernity. A prime example being Coventry - absolute concrete jungle.

I've been scratching my head trying to think why that might be? Oh hang on a minute .....

And as for staggeringly beautiful countryside - the Lake District, The Cotswolds, North Wales, Cornwall, The Highlands of Scotland - all absolute shitholes!
    I agree. All those places you mention plus us multitude more in the UK are stunning. It's just a shame that our towns and villages have not been prized in the same way they have in France.

Not fair to choose Coventry as an example. That was flattened by WWII bombing. Although many European cities have been lovingly reconstructed after similar devastation.