Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA arrests- bribery allegations (ed Blatter to resign)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015

Not fair to choose Coventry as an example. That was flattened by WWII bombing. Although many European cities have been lovingly reconstructed after similar devastation.

That was really my point SHG - laced with my usual hint of sarcasm ;-) I chose Coventry as an example for that very reason.

France got off pretty lightly from systematic bombing during WW2 - hence the reason why Paris for example looks the way it does.

I personally think London is looking better than ever - still with bucket loads of history but some of the recent new builds are stunning. The City for example has some amazing new architecture. Some change is good.

I do agree though that most (not all) town centres are soulless.
  • Options
    Agreed again. London is superb. My point remains. Many cities in Central Europe were totally destroyed yet today you wouldn't know they were not original. Berlin, Warsaw to name two. As far as I am aware the same degree of pride has not been shown in rebuilding bomb damage in the UK.

Add to that the town planning disasters and we are left with very few great cities or towns. There are exceptions I know.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Thanks for the reminder on Andrew Jennings books, from I think NLA and others: although maybe Jack Warner's trying to peddle it on Amazon for 200 quid. I'll have to read some of his books along. impressed that he says Warner was the most corrupt person he'd ever met even after hs previous investigation of Colombian cartels and corruption at Scotland Yard and other areaas of that business.

As for the corruption, people forget the endemic corruption via the FA when we were all growing up. Stan Flashman in multiple anecdotal accounts seems to have earnt much money from FA cup final tickets that were illegally obtained via players and FA affiliates; it was accepted players could do this for an extra bonus. Most probably Ted Croker had no active involvement but little was done until the 90's when people such as Jim Melrose was pursued with vigour. There is a world of difference between Warner and this murky world, but off the books payments were everywhere in the game. I wonder if Barry Fry paid full tax on his Stan Collymore sale bonus? The point here is corruption is prevalent where there is acceptance and no attitude to confront. The glib statement on absolute power corrupts neglects that weak power and the multitude of power broking deals needed ignores any fiduciary morals, incubating corruption via every level of acquaintance. These corruptions would not have come close to the judicial courts if England or the US had succesful WC bids. Graham Kelly, Greg Dyke, David Cameron, Obama would have all walked hand in hand with Blatter after a succesful bid. Who supported a US bid? Blatte. Who supported Qatar? Platini.

Putting aside Platini beeing a brilliant football memory for me, all those who attack Blatter should question how this corruption can be replaced by a meritocracy. Northern Hemisphere interests are not met. We demand financial propriety. We do nothing when we bid for WCs.

Good post but are people really saying Blatter is corrupt.
    I think negligent would be a more fitting description.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

ColinTat said:

Thanks for the reminder on Andrew Jennings books, from I think NLA and others: although maybe Jack Warner's trying to peddle it on Amazon for 200 quid. I'll have to read some of his books along. impressed that he says Warner was the most corrupt person he'd ever met even after hs previous investigation of Colombian cartels and corruption at Scotland Yard and other areaas of that business.

As for the corruption, people forget the endemic corruption via the FA when we were all growing up. Stan Flashman in multiple anecdotal accounts seems to have earnt much money from FA cup final tickets that were illegally obtained via players and FA affiliates; it was accepted players could do this for an extra bonus. Most probably Ted Croker had no active involvement but little was done until the 90's when people such as Jim Melrose was pursued with vigour. There is a world of difference between Warner and this murky world, but off the books payments were everywhere in the game. I wonder if Barry Fry paid full tax on his Stan Collymore sale bonus? The point here is corruption is prevalent where there is acceptance and no attitude to confront. The glib statement on absolute power corrupts neglects that weak power and the multitude of power broking deals needed ignores any fiduciary morals, incubating corruption via every level of acquaintance. These corruptions would not have come close to the judicial courts if England or the US had succesful WC bids. Graham Kelly, Greg Dyke, David Cameron, Obama would have all walked hand in hand with Blatter after a succesful bid. Who supported a US bid? Blatte. Who supported Qatar? Platini.

Putting aside Platini beeing a brilliant football memory for me, all those who attack Blatter should question how this corruption can be replaced by a meritocracy. Northern Hemisphere interests are not met. We demand financial propriety. We do nothing when we bid for WCs.

Good post but are people really saying Blatter is corrupt.
    I think negligent would be a more fitting description.
    I would say he is corrupt. He has a good job with good pay and fantastic perks and his corruption may be around maintaining his lifestyle rather than pocketing money. But he uses money to get support and keep power, which is corrupt and he has relied on the corruption of others in this respect. Giving Warner the World Cup TV rights (not his federation) can only have been to secure his vote. We know this has happened and we can safely assume that there will be other favours/abuses hidden with this secretive organisation that fall at his door.
  • Options
    Jack Warner says no one has brought more shame on FIFA than Sepp Blatter.

On a related point, I was recently in Potsdam, which is being completely rebuilt in line with the old city plan. All new buildings with new infrastructure etc, but built to look exactly the same as the buildings that were there before WWII and the DDR destroyed them. I found it a remarkable experience. Berlin is similar, especially the main palace which is currently being rebuilt.
  • Options
    IA said:

On a related point, I was recently in Potsdam, which is being completely rebuilt in line with the old city plan. All new buildings with new infrastructure etc, but built to look exactly the same as the buildings that were there before WWII and the DDR destroyed them. I found it a remarkable experience. Berlin is similar, especially the main palace which is currently being rebuilt.

But that's almost a theme park - although I accept politically it's important rather than the aesthetic.

There's nostalgia and there's slavishly clinging to the past.

Cities and Thrones and Powers
    Stand in Time's eye,
    Almost as long as flowers,
    Which daily die:
    But, as new buds put forth
    To glad new men,
    Out of the spent and unconsidered Earth
    The Cities rise again.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    bobmunro said:

IA said:

But that's almost a theme park - although I accept politically it's important rather than the aesthetic.

There's nostalgia and there's slavishly clinging to the past.

Cities and Thrones and Powers
    Stand in Time's eye,
    Almost as long as flowers,
    Which daily die:
    But, as new buds put forth
    To glad new men,
    Out of the spent and unconsidered Earth
    The Cities rise again.
    Love an apple pie! Nice one Bob.
  • Options
    Apparently Blatter has not been in US since 2011! I wonder why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems like FIFA is a house of cards.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    The galling thing reading that is that FIFA even have a "Code of Ethics" and an "Ethics Committee" to oversee it!! I think the word I am looking for is...brazen!
  • Options
    France and Spain voted for Blatter. What hope is there?

Reading between the lines both countries rely on large investments from Qatar and voted for Qatar to host World Cup.

Presume Qatar ordered France and Spain to vote for Blatter. If French and Spanish national interest, rather than just football interests, are being traded, how far up does the trail of corruption go?
  • Options

France and Spain voted for Blatter. What hope is there?

Reading between the lines both countries rely on large investments from Qatar and voted for Qatar to host World Cup.

Presume Qatar ordered France and Spain to vote for Blatter. If French and Spanish national interest, rather than just football interests, are being traded, how far up does the trail of corruption go?

Qatar and FIFA have both made "contributions" to "The Clinton Foundation".
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The biggest Irony will be if Blatter is only Guilty of being a megalomaniac,
    and turning a blind eye to the endemic corruption in FIFA: Which would make him guilty by association ?

UEFA shouldn't take the Moral high ground, as Platini voted for Qatar to host the World cup even thou it passed so few of the criteria to host a WC.

The USA Law enforcers will bring Football down as the Gravy train was a world wide Disgrace, weather you got a Rolex or Millions of Dollars from this football El dorado.

From the Ex Wedding Singer down, let hope heads will roll: Where's the Guillotine when you need it ?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    More excuses or is he falling on his sword?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Rumours are he going ! Please let it be true.

Press conference at 5.30
  • Options
    I reckon its the other one (Valcke?) thats going... Blatter to resign would be too good to be true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's probably going to announce that the 2026 World Cup is to be held in The Antarctic.

Will it be held in the summer?
  • Options

Rumours are he going ! Please let it be true.

Press conference at 5.30

I also want it to be true but I hope there's more for him coming up. For him to go and then not be indicted would feel like being cheated.
  • Options

He's probably going to announce that the 2026 World Cup is to be held in The Antarctic.

Will it be held in the summer?
    Yes. Our summer, their winter.
  • Options

Ridiculous, surely the Arctic as it is easier for the Russians to get to.
  • Options
    Blaster's name has been taken off the table for the conference.
  • Options
    Talking now
  • Options
    He's resigned.
  • Options
    He's going, calling for an EGM.
  • Options
    I want to cheer out loud on the platform at this news
  • Options
    Good lord.