Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chelsea - Abramovich sanctioned (p9)

Comments

• Options
    Everyone interested, and especially anyone who is in any doubt about Abramovic (or anything else about Putin) needs to buy and read "Putin's People" by Catherine Belton. It was she who was sued by RA as part of a terrifying multiple legal pile-on by several oligarchs using of course  London, where the courts are libel friendly and many "top" law firms line up to take the oligarch dollar. (Roubles not accepted). Fortunately her publisher Harper Collins stood by her in the action and they saw them all off. Which frankly amazed me, I feared the worst. It also has to be recorded that Harper Collins is owned by Rupert Murdoch. All she had to do in the court judgement was amend a few sentences to make clear that a key source for the claim that Putin "ordered" RA to buy Chelsea was not backed up by others so explicitly. Everything else remains and shows clearly how RA could not continue to live as he does without being in hock to Putin.The book is meticulously researched - 30 % is footnotes detailing the sources for every assertion ( an inspiration for our Dossiers, btw) - yet rattles along like a thriller.

Ms Belton featured in last night's Panorama on Ukraine btw. A physically diminutive woman of immense courage.  I'd say its the second best donation you can make after one to Ukraine directly.
    Just downloaded it 👍🏼
  • Options
    Everyone interested, and especially anyone who is in any doubt about Abramovic (or anything else about Putin) needs to buy and read "Putin's People" by Catherine Belton. It was she who was sued by RA as part of a terrifying multiple legal pile-on by several oligarchs using of course  London, where the courts are libel friendly and many "top" law firms line up to take the oligarch dollar. (Roubles not accepted). Fortunately her publisher Harper Collins stood by her in the action and they saw them all off. Which frankly amazed me, I feared the worst. It also has to be recorded that Harper Collins is owned by Rupert Murdoch. All she had to do in the court judgement was amend a few sentences to make clear that a key source for the claim that Putin "ordered" RA to buy Chelsea was not backed up by others so explicitly. Everything else remains and shows clearly how RA could not continue to live as he does without being in hock to Putin.The book is meticulously researched - 30 % is footnotes detailing the sources for every assertion ( an inspiration for our Dossiers, btw) - yet rattles along like a thriller.

Ms Belton featured in last night's Panorama on Ukraine btw. A physically diminutive woman of immense courage.  I'd say its the second best donation you can make after one to Ukraine directly.
    Just downloaded it 👍🏼
    Same - £4.99
  • Options

Definitely an insightful read … worth getting 
  • Options
    Not sure a charity can own and run a professional football club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Definitely an insightful read … worth getting 
    Bizarrely I bought a kindle version last week when it was kicking off. Not started it yet but will do now.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Downloading it on audiobook so I can listen while I walk the dog. Cheers Prague, your insights on this, and many matters, are always appreciated.

Just in seeing the subtitle: "How the KGB Took Back Russia..." I'm reminded of something Fidel Castro said to Graham Greene in Greene's beautiful book "Getting to Know the General." I can't find my copy right now, I've had at least three down the years and all have suffered from wear and tear. But Castro says something to the effect that the KGB will one day take over Russia. They were recruited from the best schools and were often the hardliners, and Castro thought they would one day subsume the Kremlin. This would have been '77/'78, so a very prescient observation. Anyway, I digress, but I think about that passage often. And I highly recommend Getting to Know the General. 

UPDATE: Just started the book and the epigraph is from Bob Levinson of the FBI. I'm guessing it's the same one who went missing in Iran in 2007?

Update to the update: I fell down a Bob Levinson rabbit hole and it must be. 
  • Options
    I too downloaded the audiobook so Mr O & I can listen together.
    I want to understand 👍🏼
  • Options
    club up for sale. Asking £4b apparently. 
  • Options
    You can pick up the Denver Broncos in the NFL for less then that, and make far more money 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    You can pick up the Denver Broncos in the NFL for less then that, and make far more money 
    Main problem about Chelsea from a business ownership is that they have no way to rebuild the stadium. Could make Wembley hospitality prices look cheap if they could expand the stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    How are we not freezing the assets of all Russians in this country with known links to the Kremlin? It is despicable that this is not being done and giving them time to move their assets is madness. There are Russians with assets in this country who are being sanctioned in other countries, we must ask why the same isn't being done here.
    Because most of the money in London is Russian money. Been an issue for almost twenty years but no one cared about it back then.
  • Options
    If someone were to buy Chelsea is it against sanctions to send money to Abramovich?
  • Options
    How are we not freezing the assets of all Russians in this country with known links to the Kremlin? It is despicable that this is not being done and giving them time to move their assets is madness. There are Russians with assets in this country who are being sanctioned in other countries, we must ask why the same isn't being done here.
    Because most of the money in London is Russian money. Been an issue for almost twenty years but no one cared about it back then.
    All the more reason to do something now.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    might be old news .. a Chelsea fan on the LBC breakfast show this a.m. said Abramovic does not own Stamford Bridge, the ground is owned by a separate Chelsea plc which rents the Bridge to the football club ..  oh that CAFC  had the same arrangement
  • Options
    might be old news .. a Chelsea fan on the LBC breakfast show this a.m. said Abramovic does not own Stamford Bridge, the ground is owned by a separate Chelsea plc which rents the Bridge to the football club ..  oh that CAFC  had the same arrangement
     think I'm right in saying, supporters own the pitch or at least the used to. It was to stop property speculators building should they go under, back in the day of Ken Bates.