Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    How to pronounce the word 'foray'.
    I'd emphasise the first syllable but I notice people often seem to stress the second and lengthen it a bit, including @JiMMy 85 who uses it quite a lot in those little films he puts out on a Sunday evening. Which is what has prompted me to post this.
    So FORay, or forAY? Or is either correct?

Dad used to pronounce words differently and a lot of them have stuck. I think that was one of them. I say moustache differently too (moo-stosh). I don’t realise it a lot of the time, at least until my fiancé laughs at me. 

And also Snesley Wipes. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    IdleHans said:
    How to pronounce the word 'foray'.
    I'd emphasise the first syllable but I notice people often seem to stress the second and lengthen it a bit, including @JiMMy 85 who uses it quite a lot in those little films he puts out on a Sunday evening. Which is what has prompted me to post this.
    So FORay, or forAY? Or is either correct?

Dad used to pronounce words differently and a lot of them have stuck. I think that was one of them. I say moustache differently too (moo-stosh). I don’t realise it a lot of the time, at least until my fiancé laughs at me. 

And also Snesley Wipes. 
    Haha! I like that. 
    My old man used to call Mick Fleetwood “Flick meatwood”. 
    Also, my mate and I always used to refer to Bob Willis as Will Bobbis.
    I love silly shit like that.
  • Options
    Matthew 12:40 states "for just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea monster, so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

But if Jesus died on Friday and (allegedly, obviously) rose again on a Sunday, that's two days.  And two nights.

Can Christians not count to two?
  • Options
    Whether Mason Burstow is a big time Charlie or not. 

So far, I've liked posts attacking him and defending him. 
  • Options
    if I cant hear something my wife says, its because I am not paying attention
    If she cant hear something I say, its because I am mumbling
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    if I cant hear something my wife says, its because I am not paying attention
    If she cant hear something I say, its because I am mumbling
    My Missus has hearing problems, she complains when I don’t speak loud enough and then tells me there’s no need to shout! 
  • Options
    Fashion. Fashion confuses me.

• Options
    People that support Charlton & Rangers/Celtic. Oddballs.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Why does that confuse you?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Two free £5 bets from Bob's lot to be placed on the FA cup semi finals. What on earth do I do about the palace game? Bet on them to win at 5/1 in the hope that its a losing bet, but at least I can drown my sorrows if they win? Or take short odds on chelsea and risk being doubly depressed?
    (but most likely it'll be a draw after 90 minutes, and palace will sneak it in extra time, so the worst of all possible worlds)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    LenGlover said:
    When I was at school the USSR (ie Russia and other surrounding countries) was in the continent of Asia.

Yet all the news reports on the Ukraine business refer to war in Europe rather than Asia.
    What two countries share borders with Asia - Quora

Both Russia and Turkey are Transcontinental Countries.  In Russia's case Moscow and a large part of the population are in the European side where the Asia part is vast in size.

Turkey is 90% in Asia with Ankara the capital and the European side have Istanbul as the capital with its large population.

A small country called the UK were in Europe but have since applied to be the 51st state of the USA. 

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    I just don’t get it. English blokes bitching and arguing about it online. It’s a bit embarrassing tbh.

• Options
    Rooney being treated like some sort of martyr for staying at Derby when I'm pretty sure it was only because no one else would pay him anywhere near as much, even though he deferred 'some' of his £90k a week.

• Options
    String Theory .........
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    String Theory .........
    Binge watch "Big Bang Theory" on Netflix - all will become clear.
  • Options
    Naby Sarr might be a Premier League CB next season.

And i'm loving it
  • Options
    Naby Sarr might be a Premier League CB next season.

And i'm loving it
    If Huddersfield go up, I assume they'll not offer him a new contract and will aim higher.
  • Options
    In TV's 'Bullseye', when Jim Bowen reads a spelling question, why does he have to "check with Bully" to see if the contestant's answer is correct?

Isn't the correct spelling of the word already in the question?
  • Options
    How this got commissioned:

"Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank" vibes.
  • Options
    The ice cream van bit of this advert:

https://youtu.be/vwX5lUt2qLY

She turns up, orders an ice cream that he apparently has just sitting behind the machine (he doesn't get the cone and make it), gives it one lick, hands it back and cycles off without paying, while the ice cream man grins away as if that's all completely normal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’d probably wiped his arse on it first, hence his grin, most of them do that you know, it’s all sleight of hand…
  • Options
    The new trend I've seen a few times of cheese on the top of a burger bun, like this:

Just put it inside surely?  Will add to the mix of flavours more, and mean you can pick it up, the whole point of a burger over something like a steak?
  • Options
    The new trend I've seen a few times of cheese on the top of a burger bun, like this:

Just put it inside surely?  Will add to the mix of flavours more, and mean you can pick it up, the whole point of a burger over something like a steak?
    What sort of fucking heathen does that to a cheeseburger!
  • Options
    ngl i'd like to try that
  • Options

it's the cheeseburger equivalent of spaffing on a birds tits
  • Options

it's the cheeseburger equivalent of spaffing on a birds tits
    A cheese pearl necklace burger. 
  • Options
    Not a moan, just an observation - you know how there’s often a singer leading the national anthem at sports events? When did they start making the final two notes go up in pitch instead of down? It seems like whoever sings it these days always does this, but I’d never heard it in my youth.
    Like I say, it doesn’t bother me, but I couldn’t help wondering because when the singer did it today at the Sunderland Wycombe game, I just knew she was going to do it!
  • Options
    To finish on a high note.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Honorary degrees.

I get why Unis give them out, it's a speaker at the ceremony.

But what's in it for the celebrity or whoever?  You get to go to a Uni you didn't go to and get given a doctorate that isn't really a doctorate, rhat you didnt work for, and you can't use for anything.

Do they get paid for the speech?  If so, why not just pay them and not do the weird award/photo of the non-degree bit?
  • Options
    Honorary degrees.

I get why Unis give them out, it's a speaker at the ceremony.

But what's in it for the celebrity or whoever?  You get to go to a Uni you didn't go to and get given a doctorate that isn't really a doctorate, rhat you didnt work for, and you can't use for anything.

Do they get paid for the speech?  If so, why not just pay them and not do the weird award/photo of the non-degree bit?
    I think for some people (I can't say all, because I genuinely don't know), it's opportunity to recognise the work that they have put in to understanding and developing a field without going through the normal academic route. Not sitting a standard degree doesn't mean that they haven't put a lot of effort into learning their subject and it doesn't mean that they cannot make a difference - if that's not too many double negatives. I'd like to cite our own Chris Powell as an example of someone who I think thoroughly deserves his honorary degree.