Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    C is clear (as in the whole calculation)
    CE is clear entry (so just the last figure entered)

They can be confusing though as some calculators have C and AC
    in that instance C does the opposite and clears just the final entry as AC is then the (all clear) option.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Why CAFC have the oxymoronic 'pre-match review'. 
    Why not just match preview?
    Well the former is things that have happened and the latter is about things in the future 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    IdleHans said:
    Why CAFC have the oxymoronic 'pre-match review'. 
    Why not just match preview?
    Well the former is things that have happened and the latter is about things in the future 
    Indeed. And the thing they refer to is a preview of a thing yet to happen, not a review of a thing that has happened.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    watching ITV 2 and they have the film 'Knocked up' on. yeah pretty sad but anyway...

There's a scene where they are all sitting down for breakfast.

Their breakfast consists of pancakes, cream, strawberry's and fried bacon. wtf is that about? I might write in and complain to ITV about this as its a hell of a lot more offensive than their commentary of our game last night. 
  • Options
    Why is there no apostrophe in St. Albans?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Why is there no apostrophe in St. Albans?
    St. Alban’s what? It isn’t possessive, so St. Albans is correct.
  • Options
    It is possessive. Alban was a saint who the ‘area’ was named after. Hence the ‘St’ bit.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    It is possessive. Alban was a saint who the ‘area’ was named after. Hence the ‘St’ bit.
    So it is. And now I found the real answer:

The apostrophe in St Alban's (used by Shakespeare, for example) was lost in 1877 when a parliamentary draftsman omitted it from the Bill to elevate the town to city status. No one seems to have spotted the omission, and once the Act became law the apostrophe had been abolished by statute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:
    JaShea99 said:

The apostrophe in St Alban's (used by Shakespeare, for example) was lost in 1877 when a parliamentary draftsman omitted it from the Bill to elevate the town to city status. No one seems to have spotted the omission, and once the Act became law the apostrophe had been abolished by statute.
    Typical!  Some civil service toady dropping a bollock and ruining our lives.  'Twas ever thus 😡🤬😠
  • Options
    Similar to how Rochester lost its city status.
  • Options
    watching ITV 2 and they have the film 'Knocked up' on. yeah pretty sad but anyway...

Their breakfast consists of pancakes, cream, strawberry's and fried bacon. wtf is that about? I might write in and complain to ITV about this as its a hell of a lot more offensive than their commentary of our game last night. 
    Always have pancakes a with syrup with egg and bacon on the same plate when I lived out there. Pretty standard.
  • Options
    So, what exactly is the distance between St Albans and Boreham Wood, 6 miles, 7 miles, 9 miles? There seemed to be some confusion between the commentators tonight.

• Options

Can’t explain it, but when I’m in the States I have to go to IHOP once to have this combo!
  • Options
    Almost all breakfast places will serve pancakes with the main breakfast. It is odd, but really bloody delicious.

Especially when accompanied by a vessel of maple syrup.
  • Options
    KFC advert where they are pouring gravy over a chicken burger, wtf is that all about.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Gribbo said:
    How the swampi girl, begging / busking outside the supermarket not only got hold of a raven and dalmatian (looks pedigree), but a sulphur crested cockatoo. 

I need a picture to accompany this.
    Sorry, just seen this. I used the car wash at the supermarket and time I pulled out she was walking down the road. I did try and take a photo, but just got a blur of green from the trees.

Will keep my eye out for her though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:
    JaShea99 said:

Look Ross, if you need any spelling or grammar help, dm me 🙄
  • Options
    Drivers of fully electric vehicles speeding and driving like idiots - defeating the whole point of owning a non internal combustion engined vehicle
  • Options
    Is the point of owning an electric car to be safer?
  • Options
    Drivers of fully electric vehicles speeding and driving like idiots - defeating the whole point of owning a non internal combustion engined vehicle
    That’s not the point of electric vehicles, though?
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    That’s not the point of electric vehicles, though?
    Most of them are 💩 off a shovel fast.
  • Options
    Watching the Kate Garroway documentary about her husbands fight against covid,and learning that the marvellous young man who is his carer is on minimum wage.Over 600 NHS pen pushers on 150k a year,disgusting,80k salaries offered for diversity positions.Sort this out ffs.
  • Options
    How to pronounce the word 'foray'.
    I'd emphasise the first syllable but I notice people often seem to stress the second and lengthen it a bit, including @JiMMy 85 who uses it quite a lot in those little films he puts out on a Sunday evening. Which is what has prompted me to post this.
    So FORay, or forAY? Or is either correct?

• Options
    When I was at school the USSR (ie Russia and other surrounding countries) was in the continent of Asia.

Yet all the news reports on the Ukraine business refer to war in Europe rather than Asia.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    There's a statue in Russia which identifies the dividing line between Europe and Asia. It's in the middle of nowhere. 

Bald and Bankrupt went to visit it (fantastic Youtube channel)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    When I was at school the USSR (ie Russia and other surrounding countries) was in the continent of Asia.

Yet all the news reports on the Ukraine business refer to war in Europe rather than Asia.
    What two countries share borders with Asia - Quora