Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Treacy RIP

1235»

Comments

• before my time as an Addick but one of those names that I heard about and subconsciously noted in the Charlton encyclopaedia part of my brain

RIP Ray
  • one of my early Charlton heroes. Sad news.
    Rest in Peace
  • Sad news - RIP.
  • Dreadful news, lovely man, my Dad's favourite player. RIP.
  • Before my times, but a hero to many. RIP
  • There are specific moments in time when you remember where you were when a sad announcement came that for whatever reason has a significant impact on you. Be it Elvis, JFK, or whoever. Today I will always remember that on a mundane trip north to Sheffield I heard of the incredibly sad passing of my first proper hero.

Yes as a 4 to 5 year old kid I was in awe of the likes of Best, Charlton, Greaves et al. But from the day I was introduced to Charlton I looked for a proper footballer who I could actually watch in the flesh to be my idol.

Yes there was the likes of Keithy P, Bob Curtis and a line of other quality professionals who could have filled the role. But then came Ray Treacy. Not just a striker, but an Irish striker of some quality. Given the family background firmly entrenched in the Emerald Isle, Ray could have been an absolute donkey and I probably still would have held him on a lofty perch reserved for the blindly ignorant.

But you see he wasn't a donkey, Ray was a proper player, a goal scorer, a striker with an eye for the spectacular and an international revered by both his club fans and his countrymen alike and there he was, my first genuine football hero. Whilst others in the playgrounds and school pitches of the Dartford and Bexley area were mimicking the obvious and easily recognisable players of top clubs, I was Ray Treacy and very proud to be so, whether it was wearing a red shirt, or a green one.

He was, admittedly amongst others, the reason I fell in love with this club. But every kid needs a footballing hero, a player to mimic, to want to emulate, to want to become and Ray Treacy was mine.

Cheers for the memories Ray and there will be a Guinness or two raised in your honour from this grateful member of the Covered End Choir.

Lovely post @KillersBeard
  • RIP. 68 is too young to lose someone.
  • I echo all the sentiments on this thread.So sad that he has passed away already.
    I still recall leaping around with joy when Ray scored THAT amazing goal against Derby.His class shone through in all his play but he took it all lightly and modestly.Felt amazing to have a regular international playing for Charlton too,that hadn't happened in the time from my first watching them in 1963.
    I was hoping to see him at the pitch-side reunion a few games ago but now know why---my heartfelt condolences to his family.
  • RIP.

68 is no age at all

Ray's days were well before my time, but the sentiments expressed on this thread are enough to show anyone that he is a bona fide Charlton legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad to hear this news. He was a very fine player for us and tremendous in the air for a guy of only 5ft 9. It was all about timing and, a bit like Matt Tees, he seemed to be able to hang in the air. I was really sorry when he was sold to Swindon but I guess that was part of the price we paid for our relegation in 72.

A couple of years before that, my mate and I went down to the Valley to watch the team train (which basically seemed to involve a game of 5 a side in a fenced off area of what is now the car park). We were very young and a bit in awe of the players but he took the time to have a bit of a chat with us on his way in to get changed.

As others have said, his goals against Derby and Palace in 1969 really cemented his place in Charlton folklore. RIP
  • that's dreadful news. one of my heroes, still remember his great goal against derby in our 2-0 victory.

r I p ray :(
  • Ray Treacy was also my first ever Charlton hero. And you can only ever have one first ever.
  • Sorry to hear that. One of my favourites as a boy.
  • Very sad , my loved him he's favourite all time Charlton player RIP Ray Treacy
  • edited April 2015
    Been away for a few days and only just caught up with this.

Scored some cracking goals for us and one of our few international players (in the sixties and seventies) which was notable in itself.

Was he really only 68? He was banging them in for us at a young age then. I remember him joining from West Brom and looking a cut above. He can only have been around the age of 20 then.

RIP Ray and thanks for the memories.