Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Treacy RIP

Comments

• RIP Ray
    You and your strike partnership Matt Tees gave me many hours of pleasure watching you both remember that wonder goal against Derby as if it was yesterday one of our all time greats
  • sad to read this. My first Charlton hero.

RIP
  • RIP RAY, one of my first hero's.
  • Sad news. RIP Ray
  • Great player never seen a better header or the ball, the way he seemed to hover and not the tallest of players thanks Ray it was a pleasure to watch you. R.I.P
  • Absolutely shocked.

A great Charlton footballer, as has been said his partnership with Matt Tees was simply a wonder to behold. Loads of great memories, including more than a couple of screamers, a reason to go to the Valley in those early days when we had a fantastic team full of attacking intent, Keith Peacock, Alan Campbell supplementing the play.
    RIP Ray, and thanks for the memories.
  • edited April 2015
    dickplumb said:

He was one of my favourite players in my favourite Charlton team.

Wright
    Curtis, Went, Reeves, Kinsey
    Gregory, Campbell, Moore, Peacock
    Tees, Treacy

RIP Ray you made this teenager very happy.

Thanks for posting the whole team.
    That season in '68 when we finished third was one of the very best ever.
    I remember a good Friday morning 4-1 win against Cardiff in a packed Valley which was almost as good as it gets.
    Younger lifers will obviously not remember those days, but take it from an old timer they were absolutely brilliant.
    This is an awfully sad morning, and the game this afternoon pales into some insignificance by comparison.
    On a little side note, every match programme in those days comtained a magazine called the Football League Review, and (sexist I know) there was a regular section, voted on by the ladies, about the best looking footballers which always had George Best at the top, but Ray was always one of the players in the list even though he was a second division player and lesser known.

• Sponsored links:

• Before my time really

RIP a charlton great loved by many my thoughts with his family god bless
  • Along with other sad to hear this news, Matt Tees and him were a great combination at that time, Looked a lot like Alan Campbell so sometimes got them confused when both on the park. Great Memories. RIP. Ray
  • He was also my first Charlton hero. Tenacious player and formed with Matt Tees, what is to me the best striking partnership that I have enjoyed at the Valley.
    Loved the way he would put his head to the ball when the opposing keeper was holding it to kick out of the area! Had an incredible leap for his height and was one of those players that seemed to be able to defy gravity and 'hang' in the air so he could jump before his opponent and get the advantage.
    Truly great Charlton player and I feel upset writing this. Sad news.
  • Good night and god bless, rest in peace Ray.
  • Such sad news and 68 is no age at all. One of the nicest guys you could meet. He looked after so many Irish fans after his playing and managerial days were over.

A Charlton and Ireland legend. My thoughts go out to his family and his many, many friends.

Ar deis Dé go raibh a anam dílis. Rest in Peace Trasser
  • edited April 2015
    Scored my favourite Charlton goal ever vs Derby at The Valley and an equally great, long-distance strike away at Palace.
    Remember him having an unusual running style.

Ironically, I said to my lad just the other day that the Gudmundsson strike in the last minute vs Cardiff at The Valley this season was the best I've seen scored by a CAFC player since the Ray Treacy super strike goal vs Derby in the late sixties.

A very sad piece of news, way too young and I hope he now gets a posthumous entry into CAFC Legends.

RIP Ray & thank you.
  • Very sad to hear this. He was at The Valley for a game a while back (probably about 10 years ago) and came back to a pub in Chislehurst with a few of us for a few pints and a good chinwag. He was really good company that evening and good fun. RIP Ray.
  • Like many on here, Ray was one of my first Charlton Heroes. That night at Selhurst Park in 1969 is still one of my fondest football memories. I also remember him scoring a hat-trick in a 5-1 drubbing of Hull City. He had a powerful shot and was very good in the air despite not being particularly tall.

RIP.
  • Last thing I expected to read after opening the thread, quite a shock. Great player - the goal v Brian Clough's Derby I'll never forget. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    Shocking news, so sad. I knew he was ill as he was due to make the trip for the reunion a couple of weeks back but never realised it was so bad.

As with others on here he was part of THAT team that still trips off the tongue to this day.

RIP Ray and thanks for the memories

• RIP

Before my time as an Addick but I knew of his legendary status .

I used to drink with his nephew for a while in the Alma in Sidcup in the mid 1980's.
  • RIP. . true charlton legend.
  • Very sad news, this is an awful year so far RIP
  • My heart sank, when I saw the thread title. I was just hoping it wasn't going to be an RIP.
    As with many others, my first Charlton hero, although I was probably only about 7 & didn't see him play an awful lot.

RIP Ray. How sad.
  • Those of us of a certain age will never forget the goal v Derby, can still see it now, 2nd half kicking into the covered end, murky winter afternoon under floodlights, ball came out to Treacy outside the penalty box the sweetest volley into the top left corner looking out from The Covered End. Wasn't the game on ITVs Big Match ? Wonder if there's film of the goal somewhere ?

RIP Ray & condolences to his family & friends
  • i thought that was "goal of the season" that year , not just us but the whole of the English football league?

I have a vague memory of a game where there was a 3 times taken pen not sure he took but i think he scored in a 2 v 2 draw.

He scored a few from near post corners.

I was well pissed off when we sold him and Paul went for next to nothing ( Walsh and Elliot---Kermo and Stevens not much changes).

My first International Charlton player along with Graeme Moore who sometimes played for Wales.

Have RT and Charlie Wrights auto graphs somewhere got em on a train back from Hull where we had lost 3 nil in 3rd round of FA Cup(little changes)---great day out with me dad.

• This is a real shock .. formed one of our best ever striking duos with Matt Tees .. I'm rather lost for words: R I P Ray Treacy

• edited April 2015
    RIP, a bit before my time (though seeing as he left Charlton in 72 I must have seen him play...just to young to remember) but mates and family always spoke highly of him.
  • edited April 2015
    As he played more for us than any other English club it would be nice to see something from the club on the OS.

West Brom have put this up and he played less than 30 games for them in 2 spells.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/west-bromwich-albion-ray-treacy-2392836.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Treacy