Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Treacy RIP

Comments

• So sad he was in the team for my first game against Bristol City Aug70 and like many have said he was the first player I really identified with.
    RIP Ray.
  • Such a shame, great memories, one of my favourites RIP
  • Along with Alan Campbell was the star of my first Charlton team
  • Richard J said:

As he played more for us than any other English club it would be nice to see something from the club on the OS.

West Brom have put this up and he played less than 30 games for them in 2 spells.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/west-bromwich-albion-ray-treacy-2392836.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Treacy

The put this on Twitter earlier. I guess they are all busy but I am sure a proper tribute will come.

• Kap10 said:

Along with Alan Campbell was the star of my first Charlton team

Such a great team, terrific memories
  • That goal against Derby will never be forgotten. RIP Ray. Legend.
  • RIP what a great player he was for us. Yes a legend
  • My favourite Charlton player of all time. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    Shocked and saddened. Like so many here, he was my first Charlton hero. I can still remember taking my first Charlton shirt to Romford market to get a number 8 ironed on the back. It was between 2 (Bobby Curtis) and 8, but Ray won because he was scoring some spectacular goals at that time. He was our Georgie Best, he played with such flamboyance and energy. RIP Ray (Treacle) and thanks for such wonderful memories.
  • seth plum said:

Absolutely shocked.

A great Charlton footballer, as has been said his partnership with Matt Tees was simply a wonder to behold. Loads of great memories, including more than a couple of screamers, a reason to go to the Valley in those early days when we had a fantastic team full of attacking intent, Keith Peacock, Alan Campbell supplementing the play.
    RIP Ray, and thanks for the memories.

I completely agree @sethplum.....I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. RIP Sir, you were my first goal scoring hero, so many memories watching him from the old East Terrace. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
  • edited April 2015
    Curb_It said:

Richard J said:

As he played more for us than any other English club it would be nice to see something from the club on the OS.

West Brom have put this up and he played less than 30 games for them in 2 spells.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/west-bromwich-albion-ray-treacy-2392836.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Treacy

The put this on Twitter earlier. I guess they are all busy but I am sure a proper tribute will come.

Pleased to see it is up on the OS now.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/ray-treacy-charlton-2393103.aspx

• Terrible news - I can only echo what others have said. Still remember that goal at a Palace to win 2-0. RIP.
  • edited April 2015
    Oggy Red said:

Remember him making his debut for Charlton in February 1968, at home versus top of the table QPR (starring the Morgan twins on either wing and the mercurial Rodney Marsh).

We had an 18 year old keeper making his debut, replacing Charlie Wright; a 17 year old midfielder making his debut in midfield replacing skipper and Wales international Graham Moore; and I believe reserve centre half Johnny Kiers replacing Peter Reeves.

And this young Irish lad signed the day before from WBA for £20,000 that nobody had ever heard of.

Anyway, after 30 minutes we were losing 2-0; the ambulance with flashing blue light drove up to the stand to take the kid keeper to hospital;
    and I think teenaged fullback Bobby Curtis pulled a goal back, before himself limping off. Inevitably QPR soon made it 3-1 against our10 men.

With 5 minutes remaining the referee wrongly awarded a corner to Charlton, and muscle mountain centre half Paul Went pulled a goal back. With the referee checking his watch and The Valley crowd roaring the team on, Keithy Peacock burst through from the centre circle and fired passed the keeper for the equaliser, 3-3.

It was the last kick of the game.

With all the mayhem and exhilarating finale, Ray Treacy must have wondered what he'd let himself in for.
    He didn't score that day, but impressed the crowd with his willingness to get involved and fight for the cause.

From that team, we first lost Johnny Kiers, then Bob Curtis - and now Ray Treacy.

I'm too young to remember anything about him (though I do know he played in the first match I ever saw). Great to be able to read about this - thanks Oggy. Just a pity about the circumstances.
  • Such shocking news. Ray Treacy was a legend & I am so sad to hear of his premature death. RIP mate.
  • Deeply saddened. Like many on here, Ray was one of my first Charlton heroes. I too remember the goal against Derby but more so the belter against Palace at Selhurst.
    Great memories of the season we nearly got promoted to the First Division and went to Highbury with such great expectations in the FA Cup. Tees and Treacy up front - we were bound to cause an upset. (Neither got to see much of the ball and we lost 2-0).
    Thanks Ray for some of the better memories of being a Charlton supporter.

Also surprised at the number of people on this thread who remember Ray. Didn't know there were so many silver surfers on CL!!
  • One of my heroes from my youth. RIP Ray
  • Sad sad news RIP Ray, will never ever forget that goal at Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad news. A real hero of mine when I first started watching the Addicks in 1970. RIP Ray, a Charlton legend.
  • edited April 2015
    RIP Ray
    My idol when I first started supporting Charlton.
    My first Charlton shirt, plain red with the "8" on the back and I was fortunate enough to see him quite a few times in a social environment where he would always smile and say hello to the young lad he knew idolised Charlton.
    2-0 away at Palace in the cup will always be the highlight for me of the little Irish legend.
    I would from time to time see his travel agent premises in Dublin and wonder if I should walk in to see him but never thought that appropriate, but it would always have me thinking back to those wonderful days between 68-70
  • Thats sad RIP Ray
    He scored in the first Charlton match I ever saw against cardiff 1970
  • RIP Ray
  • Really really sad at hearing this. Like a lot in here, he was a mainstay of the first charlton team I watched. I remember that Cardiff 4-1 match, but funnily enough I thought was a night time game, which shows how memories get altered over time!
    Anyway great great striker for us, thanks for the memories Mr Treacy.
  • Sad news but on the positive side he has brought a load of great footballing memories. One of my all time favourites was away at Filbert St when a fantastic header by Ray was met with an equally great save from Peter Shilton. Football at its best. RIP and thank you.
  • seth plum said:

dickplumb said:

He was one of my favourite players in my favourite Charlton team.

Wright
    Curtis, Went, Reeves, Kinsey
    Gregory, Campbell, Moore, Peacock
    Tees, Treacy

RIP Ray you made this teenager very happy.

Thanks for posting the whole team.
    That season in '68 when we finished third was one of the very best ever.
    I remember a good Friday morning 4-1 win against Cardiff in a packed Valley which was almost as good as it gets.
    Younger lifers will obviously not remember those days, but take it from an old timer they were absolutely brilliant.
    This is an awfully sad morning, and the game this afternoon pales into some insignificance by comparison.
    On a little side note, every match programme in those days comtained a magazine called the Football League Review, and (sexist I know) there was a regular section, voted on by the ladies, about the best looking footballers which always had George Best at the top, but Ray was always one of the players in the list even though he was a second division player and lesser known.

The 4-1 was my first ever Charlton game and despite living in West London made me an Addick. As Les says not the tallest but superb leap and touch. Brilliant side as posted above.
  • Deeply upset by this news
    RIP.
  • Just loved watching Ray play at the Valley. Without doubt one of my favourites, really good to see he is remembered with affection on here.
  • I think I missed this earlier as I didn't see the RIP bit attached to the thread skimming thru the front page.

Not my era at all but have only heard my old man speak so well of him. RIP Ray, I'm confident many of a generation on here have lost a childhood hero