Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ray Treacy RIP

Comments

• Really sad news. Ray Tracey was one of my heroes from the 1968 team. Formed a great partnership with Matt Tees. RIP #legend
  • a Valley favourite, very sad,
    R.I.P.
  • Blimey so sad. RIP
  • Cannot believe the sad news of Ray's passing.
    A true Charlton legend and a great favourite of mine.
    As others have said, a fantastic partnership with the incredible Matt Tees - one of the best strike forces I can remember in 52 years of following this great club.
    Surely he must be inducted into the Hall of Fame without question or delay.

RIP Ray. Never toebe forgotten by me and all other Addicks of my vintage.
  • Sad day to lose a great player for our club but more importantly for his family

A true hero when a young boy following Charlton

As said before the goal against Derby will stay in the memory forever.

Thanks Ray
  • I can still remember all his great goals - Derby, Fulham, the Palace cup goal (he got both in our 2-0 win that night) - all screamers. I got his autograph in 1968, and he was a shy, but nice man. RIP Ray.
  • Really sad news .
    May you RIP Ray, and join up with Bob Curtis , looking down on The Valley together, knowing you will both be always remembered as our heroes.
  • Tragic. He was one of my favourite players. I remember him scoring a typical 25-yarder at Fulham and a home fan said "Bet he couldn't do that again!" Wrong, about two minutes later he did the same, unfortunately this one hit the bar. Cue silence from the Cottager! RIP Ray.
  • Awful news

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Ray. Wonderful memories of the Palace cup goal. What a night that was!
  • Sad news. RIP
  • Very sad news can remember watching Ray and the excellent partnership he had with Matt Tees .68 is to young.
  • Was around the time I used to hang around for autographs,he always took the time to sign and have a chat.Not all the players stopped
  • Just about caught the end of his career.
    Though I was very young, I can remember he was revered amongst the supporters, including my Dad, who was not given to dishing out undue praise.
    RIP Ray - you will not be forgotten.
  • Those of us of a certain age will never forget the goal v Derby, can still see it now, 2nd half kicking into the covered end, murky winter afternoon under floodlights, ball came out to Treacy outside the penalty box the sweetest volley into the top left corner looking out from The Covered End. Wasn't the game on ITVs Big Match ? Wonder if there's film of the goal somewhere ?

RIP Ray & condolences to his family & friends

I agree - I’m sure it was on TV too. Brian Clough’s side were already nailed on for promotion and I remember Cloughie saying that based on the evidence he’d witnessed that day, Charlton would accompany him to the first division. I even started to believe, but sadly it wasn’t to be … character building stuff though.

I’ve scoured youtube looking for that goal but alas no joy.

• Great player was Ray Tracey, R.I.P
  • Was not my era so did not see Ray play but would be interested to know from those that had the pleasure of watching him who they would compare him to in playing style? Current forwards at the club or past.
  • Red Robin said:

Really sad news .
    May you RIP Ray, and join up with Bob Curtis , looking down on The Valley together, knowing you will both be always remembered as our heroes.

Don't forget to include centre half Johnny Keirs from that team, even though he often shared the number 12 shirt with Denis Booth.

Keirs died around 20 years ago, only in his 40s.

• i thought that was "goal of the season" that year , not just us but the whole of the English football league?

I have a vague memory of a game where there was a 3 times taken pen not sure he took but i think he scored in a 2 v 2 draw.

I was at that game, penaltys were taken towards the south stand, would love to be reminded of the game, Did Harry gregory take 1 of those pens?

• Sponsored links:

• Those of us of a certain age will never forget the goal v Derby, can still see it now, 2nd half kicking into the covered end, murky winter afternoon under floodlights, ball came out to Treacy outside the penalty box the sweetest volley into the top left corner looking out from The Covered End. Wasn't the game on ITVs Big Match ? Wonder if there's film of the goal somewhere ?

RIP Ray & condolences to his family & friends

I agree - I’m sure it was on TV too. Brian Clough’s side were already nailed on for promotion and I remember Cloughie saying that based on the evidence he’d witnessed that day, Charlton would accompany him to the first division. I even started to believe, but sadly it wasn’t to be … character building stuff though.

I’ve scoured youtube looking for that goal but alas no joy.

Correct - it was on TV and I seem to recall it won ITVs The Big Match Goal of the Season.

It was a great season except for two things:

1. We came third when the top two were promoted (and there were no play offs back then)

2. Those stripey shits from Surrey finished 2nd, ahead of us.
  • Ray Treacy was also my early Charlton hero. He scored the only goal, a typical header, in the second game I saw at the Valley - against Huddersfield, early in that special 68/69 season. A few years later, when I was at University in Hull, I watched him score a hat trick at Boothferry Park, a rare cause for celebration in a relegation season. RIP.
  • Was not my era so did not see Ray play but would be interested to know from those that had the pleasure of watching him who they would compare him to in playing style? Current forwards at the club or past.

Thats an interesting question. The first one that comes to my mind is Jim Melrose. Next one is Deon Burton (think that similarity was mentioned earlier)
  • Very sad news. I started going in the late 1960s and because of Ray, Tees, Campbell, Went and co I still go today. Up the Dubs, RIP Ray Treacy.
  • I knew i would be Charlton till i die, because of that 68/69 team.
    Ray Treacy and Matt Tees. You never forget your 1st real hero's.
    That Derby county game when Ray scored will always be in my top 5 Favourite games at the Valley.
    RIP Ray,
    Thanks for the Memories.
  • RIP Ray, my first real CAFC legend.
  • Being Irish my Dad loved Ray Treacy. I saw him play but was young at the time. RIP.
  • Only discussing the 68/69 team with CL member Pedro48 in a local bar a couple of weeks ago.

RIP Ray Treacy.

• A great athlete with wings on his boots

A wonderful scorer of spectacular goals

A decent, modest, likeable guy - a model professional

A true legend

Sadly time is up for another of our finest, but his deeds will shine immortal

RIP Ray Treacy