Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Fulham

Comments

• Like Cabbles the alarm bells started to ring when Igor couldn't beat Burns in a sprint for the ball from a level start. would love to chat to one of the backroom medical staff and find out what's going on ? he has lost a yard or two of pace since the first half of the season.

After the last 2 games maybe we have under rated Yoni Buyens because not to win any of the six games he has missed shows his influence. Just like when we couldn't win a game when Henderson was missing.

Why did we give Parker so much space again ?

In the 1st half i thought Scott must have terrible BO because no one got anywhere near him ?

Roger Johnson had a crazy time with some comical defending, yet our results have improved since he came in, but it's quite clear that the best CB pairing will be Joe Gomez and Johnson/TBH/ Bikey or Lennon for next season as long as Solly is fit.

Why don't we give Lennon minutes on the field now we're safe as well as
    Aherne-Grant instead of Church.

No championship match should every be meaning less, even if we you give youngsters a chance to gain some experience.

Stephen Henderson was the reason we didn't lose last night and has been fantastic all season. For his and for CAFC fans sake let's hope he stays fit to show what a good Championship keeper he is.

Johnson was also responsible on several occasions for dropping back off the back four line and playing Fulham onside.
    It's frustrating because he has a lot of good qualites - somehow need to get him to focus for the full 90.
  • Cousins could do worse than watch a video of Parker's performance yesterday and from it perhaps learn about finding space and making a pass.

I agree but they're different players. If Cousins is going to play that deeper role then he'll need someone a bit more creative ahead of him, a number ten type player. That is not Diarra or Buyens and we do not have a player like that at the moment.
    Think back to the Cardiff game, when Gudmundsson moved in to the middle in the second half. That was the best performance by a Charlton midfielder this season IMO.

Gudmundsson is perfect for the middle if we can get decent replacements on the wing.
  • Believe me mate - it was a crap game.

It wasn't! Not the best game of the season, but enough action at both ends
  • Couldn't work out what was wrong with Watt & Vetokele up front.
    Both seemed either demotivated, knackered or injured and a couple of times they showed frustration over a misplaced pass or a playing-in pass that didn't come that should have or a run that should have happened by their oppo but didn't (realise that is probably normal for a front two pairing but to a lesser degree).
    It didn't seem like the communication was at all good between them.
    They weren't working for each other as I would have expected.

If there is a problem there with Igor & Tony then Luzon needs to sort it out for next season as they are vital for us.

At one point I was wondering if Watt had a slight niggle with his hamstring or quad when he simply stopped running for a through ball into the channels that he might well have got had he kept going. Rather out of character for him, anyway.

We should have had the game won in the first half but by the end we were only really good for a draw.

Not sure why Bulot went off as I thought he was playing well.

Fulham closed us down well in midfield, gave us little time on the ball and, in particular, did well to surround JBG in numbers whenever he looked to cut inside.

I thought we were lacking in our link & support play to the front two from midfield and not whipping the ball in quickly enough from the flanks - especially low drives into the 6 yard zone which caused Fulham big problems rather than high balls which they were picking off with ease.

Fulham used the channels better and that last minute shot which went wide would probably have broken our net had it gone in.

Still thought we could and should have won it.
  • The issue with Watt and Igor could very well be nothing more than tiredness. Watt had a pretty long period without a lot of game time, Igor's had an injury to deal with, playing two games in five days after a bit of a scrappy season might well be getting to them. Not to mention both have quite a lot of running to do, it could just be catching up.
  • Could not agree more with AKFA not the player that left us but still the most influencial on the pitch yesterday.
  • Anyone who says Parker was crap really hasn't a scooby what they were talking about. Yes he hasn't got the engine that he had 15 years ago, but that is kind of irrelevent because Fulham play with a very central three. As a result, it was no surprise they bossed the middle and had more room.

Parker's role is essentially to keep them ticking and stop us playing. He made 109 passes last night with an 88% pass completion, wheras Diarra made 64 passes with a 77% completion, and Cousins made 70 passes with a 73% completion.

Fulham also had 58% possession and 13 chances to our 6. Boss it we did not.

Yes, Parker was everywhere, doing the simple stuff very effectively, a bit like Carrick does for Man U
  • edited April 2015
    Firstly, not sure anybody could claim the game was anything other than poor. But I do think the sharpness and energy from the front two was a bit missing and we need that to look good. I think Watt tried a few runs, but they weren't really in the right places, giving him a bit much to do. Igor looked a little short of pace. Maybe the Fulham defence were just more comfortable against them than other defences are. Also, what we can sometimes do, is play in front of opponents. So we pass, pass, pass and it is slow balls, not quick incisive balls. When we did get an early whipped in cross we scored, but too often we took too long to get the ball in the dangerous areas. It was a bit too deliberate. A good comparison was the Reading game. We played like yesterday in the first half in that game, then upped the tempo and intensity in the second, Yesterday, we kept playing the same way.

Fulham sensed with 20 mins to go that they could get three points, but they were not that good up front and neither keeper had to make anything above standard saves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could not agree more with AKFA not the player that left us but still the most influencial on the pitch yesterday.

Which is probably why our link & support play from midfield to the front two was not functioning as we would have liked?

Parker was getting a lot of ball, confirmed by AFKA's stats.
  • As others have said, typical end of season type game. Difference was that Fulham had something to fight for and we didn't, and that showed in the tackles and the work rate. A draw was a fair result but we couldn't have complained much if they had snatched the 3 points with that chance near the end. Fulham have a big and good quality squad and they shouldn't really be struggling in the lower reaches of our division.

I hope we can pick up a bit of our pre-internationals break spark and form or it could be a rather tedious end to what has been overall, a very interesting season.
  • Need 7 points from last games for players to get bonus KM was talking about, let us hope they try for it
  • Believe me mate - it was a crap game.

Good 1st half
    average 2nd half

More like watching CAFC when Peeters was in charge
    Too many pass backs.

• Anyone who says Parker was crap really hasn't a scooby what they were talking about. Yes he hasn't got the engine that he had 15 years ago, but that is kind of irrelevent because Fulham play with a very central three. As a result, it was no surprise they bossed the middle and had more room.

Parker's role is essentially to keep them ticking and stop us playing. He made 109 passes last night with an 88% pass completion, wheras Diarra made 64 passes with a 77% completion, and Cousins made 70 passes with a 73% completion.

Parker was absolutely central to the way they play wasn't he.
    Made me wonder what the hell they do when he's out. Lose, I suppose :-)
    Having said that he was happy most of the time to play the ball around just in front of their defence, and we seemed to be happy just to let him get on with it.
    What he doesn't do, and maybe no longer can, is make those lung bursting driving runs at the opposition that we so used to love.

• Haven't had a chance to see any tv replays yet but was our goal offside. It just didn't look quite right to me. I normally jump straight up from my seat when we score, but I was not sure it was going to be given.
  • edited April 2015
    As mentioned in an earlier post the goal scored by Gudmunson, if offside, wipes the slate clean for Graham Polls cock up when we last played Fulham in the Premier League when he gave a free kick for handball to Fulham when it clearly struck the Fulham players hand. The result was an equalizer from the free kick. This is just one of the many injustices I am ticking off ( Mick Russell owes us a few already!! ).
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015
    1StevieG said:

As mentioned in an earlier post the goal scored by Gudmunson, if offside, wipes the slate clean for Graham Polls cock up when we last played Fulham in the Premier League when he gave a free kick for handball to Fulham when it clearly struck the Fulham players hand. The result was an equalizer from the free kick. This is just one of the many injustices I am ticking off ( Mick Russell owes us a few already!! ).

Not really the same, as that result contributed to Charlton being relegated from the Premiership. The Poll decision and Zheng Zi missing at Manchester City were the key moments. Not much riding on yesterdays game.
  • Charlton need a forward playing, creative midfielder. Diarra, Cousins and Buyens are not that.
  • Sponsored links:

Evening Statto!

• Haven't had a chance to see any tv replays yet but was our goal offside. It just didn't look quite right to me. I normally jump straight up from my seat when we score, but I was not sure it was going to be given.

It was a country mile offside mate.
  • I thought Parker was easily the best player on the pitch. One horribly misplaced pass but he was in the game so much. I suspect he has kept Fulham up.
  • For the offside from what I could tell JBG was behind the ball itself when Fox crossed. Bulot tried but failed to touch the ball, it fell to the incoming JBG who finished.
    It is of course a question of whether Bulot was seeking to gain and advantage (score) or interfering with play (putting the keeper off), and the interpretation of all this has been confused by the directives and interpretations of that aspect of offside.
    JBG himself wasn't offside, but in my opinion Bulot was in the opponents half, with less than two players between him and the goal, in front of the ball, seeking to gain and advantage, and interfering with play. The only thing in Bulot's favour was he didn't touch the ball, but is was a poor interpretation of the law, but as it was in our favour I don't give a chite.
  • vff said:

Charlton need a forward playing, creative midfielder. Diarra, Cousins and Buyens are not that.

Gudmundsson

• Parker looked functional(ish)..

..for an ex England midfielder.

Go Go Cousins, Fox, Gomez, KAG et al. Tremendous to see the youngsters play so many games.

• vff said:

Charlton need a forward playing, creative midfielder. Diarra, Cousins and Buyens are not that.

Gudmundsson

But then you miss him out wide.
  • vff said:

Gudmundsson

But then you miss him out wide.
    Yes, we're extremely light on right-sided players in defense and midfield. I'm sure Phil Chapple is on the case.

• edited April 2015
    vff said:

1StevieG said:

Not really the same, as that result contributed to Charlton being relegated from the Premiership. The Poll decision and Zheng Zi missing at Manchester City were the key moments. Not much riding on yesterdays game.
    But imagine if we had defended the resulting free kick.....?
    Why is everything always someone else fault?

• I don't want to get into the whole Scotty debate again, as people seem to have some pretty entrenched views on the subject.

Suffice to say that I wouldn't boo him, but if Messrs Pardew, Hasselbaink, Traore, Faye, M.Bent, Jeffers, Diawara (and possibly others), ever made an appearance then I think that given their pitiful contribution to our demise, then they would be entitled to a less than enthusiastic reception.

Spot on mate, scotty gave 100% effort every game that I saw. Unlike that dubious bunch of expensive misfits above.