Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Fulham

Comments

• Sterile performance. No pace and urgency. We looked on the beach. I think we are very reliant on Watt. If he is not fireing, we dont fire.
  • JBG showed moments of real class. His general ball control and the volleyed long pass down the line for Igor in the second half were outstanding. His goal was an unusual one for him....more of a John Jackson type goal but encouraging to see him in those positions (including for the bad miss) and it is clear that his fitness is now 100%. It just shows that the thing that the foreign lads need is games and time....once the fitness comes, the ability can shine through on a regular basis.

Igor on the other hand looks like he is carrying an injury. It might be best to use him as a sub for the rest of the season and take an extended look at Eagles (although he does seem to go better at left wing) or even Le Point.

Diarra has done well for a man without many games in recent years and he held his own last night. Once he picks up the pace in possession (he was a bit ponderous) he'll be ok. His interceptions were good and he is very strong in the air for a midfielder. Given his age, maybe he is a centre-back in the making?

I can see the hesitation regarding Johnson. He is largely uncomfortable on the ball and not quite as dominant in the air as you would expect. But he is another one that has hardly played for a couple of seasons so it might take time for him to rediscover confidence. Looking at the age profile of our centre-backs, we probably need a younger option so I think he may be released with our thanks.

As for the game, it was ok. Both sides looked to play and Fulham deserved their draw. Like JBG, Stephen Henderson has been a most impressive signing this season.

• edited April 2015
    Double post.
  • Thai Malaysia Addick got it in one. Slightly surreal game. Nice to watch without having to get too excited about the implications and not the worst game I've seen but all slightly "meh". Pretty consistent 7 out of 10 performances by everyone except Igor who looked out of it, Johnson who looked clumsy and Eagles who looks like a total luxury to me. Hendo was an 8 but loses a point for their goal - watch the replay on telly, he's just bumbling about in the penalty spot. Our goal was so far offside it was ridiculous. I sit bang on line with the point the ball was crossed from. We had two players including the scorer somewhere between five and ten yards off. No one around me celebrated as it looked so far off. Only when the lino started running back to half way did the penny drop. Highlights of the evening for me were:

1. Finally getting to say hi to Fanny. Turns out we live about five hundred yards away from each other.

2. Fox continuing to prove that I really know nothing about football. Best I've seen him

3. The silly free kick that someone else mentioned above.

4. Nice to sit at a game in comfortable temperatures without looking like the Michelin man.

Honourable mentions for Bulot who I thought was our biggest threat and young Gomez who, whilst a bit raw, is going to be right up there with the best.

Renewed my ST after a lot of deliberation (to be honest, it wasn't that much deliberation). Bit worried about what team we will have next year. Take any two of our finest out of that team and we suddenly don't look the same. But that's for another day.

Need to try to muster some enthusiasm for the Leeds game which is now utterly meaningless.
  • A nothing game for us but some real positives for next year. Fox is really coming on as is young Gomez. Could do with a alternative style player up front. Maybe Le Point will fit that mold when he's fully fit with a preseason behind him, he has looked poor, but Luzon seems to like him, maybe there is something there? I didn't join in the abuse of Parker but it was quite funny, and did appear to upset his game a bit. I had it in my mind he was going to crack in a late winner just to rub our noses in it but thankfully it didn't happen. Henderson was great. Johnson had a couple of minutes where it looked like someone had flipped the Sunday league switch, three poorly struck, dangerous passes in straight succession. His concentration levels are worryingly poor at times. I feel we could really do with a steady centre half to sure things up back there. Cousins was excellent as always and I'm surprised he doesn't get more praise. His decision making is spot on so consistently for a young player.
  • cabbles said:

I was frustrated with all that. Roger Johnson on that evidence isn't playing for a contract. Completely devoid of any pace and just what he was doing in the 1st half playing the ball across his own box I'll never know. I like Cousins, but Parker showed him what a real midfielder is like who has played at the top level. It was only given Parker's age he isn't as affective as he used to be. I'm sorry Jordan but I'm not sure you've got what it takes to play at that level. Vetokele is doing my head in. His performances over the last 3 months have been shit IMO. Might sound harsh, but he's finally got a decent partner, and his efforts can be summed up by getting beaten to a through ball over the top by JBG by Dan Burn in the 2nd half????

Maybe it's the end of season malaise but I was pretty underwhelmed all round. I thought Fox played well as did Henderson. As for the rest.......

It seemed to me that Parker was allowed a lot more space than Cousins or Diarra last night. This was surely either tactical, Cousins and Diarra not knowing each other very well, or the Charlton players being "on the beach". And Parker hardly put in a Pirlo performance in the space he had - most balls went side ways, backwards or out of play.

Igor looked average, but tbf Burn was a beast and played very well defensively for most of the game.
  • cabbles said:

I was frustrated with all that. Roger Johnson on that evidence isn't playing for a contract. Completely devoid of any pace and just what he was doing in the 1st half playing the ball across his own box I'll never know. I like Cousins, but Parker showed him what a real midfielder is like who has played at the top level. It was only given Parker's age he isn't as affective as he used to be. I'm sorry Jordan but I'm not sure you've got what it takes to play at that level. Vetokele is doing my head in. His performances over the last 3 months have been shit IMO. Might sound harsh, but he's finally got a decent partner, and his efforts can be summed up by getting beaten to a through ball over the top by JBG by Dan Burn in the 2nd half????

Maybe it's the end of season malaise but I was pretty underwhelmed all round. I thought Fox played well as did Henderson. As for the rest.......

It seemed to me that Parker was allowed a lot more space than Cousins or Diarra last night. This was surely either tactical, Cousins and Diarra not knowing each other very well, or the Charlton players being "on the beach". And Parker hardly put in a Pirlo performance in the space he had - most balls went side ways, backwards or out of play.

Igor looked average, but tbf Burn was a beast and played very well defensively for most of the game.
    I was a bit harsh all round Edgeley but it was just frustration. I really think we've got some decent players and just wanted a bit more from last night. Just one of those games when you get a bit annoyed mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• How I long for the days when a passionate Charlton team would give their "all", in a midweek London derby.

All we are interested in, is passing back to the keeper, or playing the ball into the centre circle.

Dross.
  • edited April 2015
    Quick summary:

Bit of a nothing game really and a draw was probably a fair result. It felt like we had more of the ball, especially in the second half, but didn't do enough with it. Fulham had the better chances and will feel they could / should have won the game.

Parker, although not the player he was (I honestly believe he peaked with us), is still a class act - on the pitch at least. He controlled it for Fulham from deep and we struggled to pick him up or get near him for most of the game. I was impressed by Tunnicliffe and Hoogland for them.

We should have punished them more for pushing their full backs so high and tried to get Bulot and JBG in behind them more.

Watt only came to life in the last 20 minutes or so, Igor needs to work harder sometimes. Completely understand why Church replaced him.

Shout for Fox who was good going forward. Johnson and Diarra looked shaky at times. Henderson was quality as usual. Good finish from JBG but weirdly missed an easier chance which should have made it 2-1 to us.

We desperately need a creative player in central midfield.
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I was a bit harsh all round Edgeley but it was just frustration. I really think we've got some decent players and just wanted a bit more from last night. Just one of those games when you get a bit annoyed mate.
    I hear yer.

Thought the atmosphere was good at times last night. Some renditions of "everywhere we go" were decent.
  • TBH and Roger Johnson for some reason doesn't work. I want Gomez back at CB asap. He looked shaky at RB.

Front two weren't at it at all.

1-1 probably the right result.

Fulham should not be where they are with that squad/budget. In flashes they looked ok but at other times looked utterly two-bob.

9/10 Johan would have scored the second chance and we'd have won.

Players look like they are ready for the beach.

Here's one for you. Club announce in a fanfare that Alou Diarra signs a new contract. Johnson and Eagles seem to be getting nadda. They play have possibly their worst game. Why should they be that bothered tbh. They didnt need to do that. Bad management from the club
  • Parker had a great game, never gave the ball away and would still walk into our starting 11
  • Classic 'endofseasonitis' - any chance of a last surge of enthusiasm/form was sapped by Friday, now it's feet up, smoking pipes, nothing to play for time and it shows. That said... still quality evident amongst certain players when they do make a bit of an effort, Luzon will be making notes on what is needed for the summer (and who will be off), and given some of the more dire predictions and fears amongst a subset of fans in the not too distant past (and the fears of many more reasonable too) how nice is it that with a month or so to go Luzon has got us into a position where we don't fear relegation in the slightest?
    Granted it would be better if we still had an off chance of the play-offs to aim for but given how low morale was amongst fans and players and how poor Luzon's reputation was on arrival it must be said he has done exactly what RD would have expected, and better than some (dare I say most?) would have predicted. Now to see how he and the Belgian Bosses approach the transfer window and plan for next year...
  • edited April 2015
    Posting having feasted on All Bran.

Strange game; entertaining in parts, dull for the most part. It had all the guts and passion of two mid-table teams with nothing to play for but the honour of getting a top-half 12th place over bottom-half 13th. For their part, Fulham didn't look like potential relegation candidates. In the positive sense they looked better than that; they've got more skill and ability than you'd expect from a team in their position. In the negative sense, there wasn't a lot of urgency about them. If we were in their position I'd be quite worried about the lack of desire to get three points. They can play some decent football and did so in patches, but not nearly enough. I'm not having any of this Parker bossed the game nonsense though. He didn't look a shadow. As a player who knows he's on the wain, he played it very safe and simple allowing his bigger faster compatriots to take any sort of lead.

As for us, we can also play some decent football and did so in patches. But like Fulham, not nearly enough. We looked stung when the scored and for a short while used this to give us some impetus, it didn't last long though, our players getting bored with the first half just before the referee did. The second half was decidedly lacklustre. I think @sirjohnhumphrey called it pretty close when he said that no-one was "more than a 7 and nobody below a 6". On the positive side, Henderson was a rock at the back (I personally felt vindicated in my POTY vote). Whilst on the wings Gudmundsson and Bulot looked dangerous at times. On the negatives, the Johnson/Ben Haim pairing doesn't seem as effective as having either of them alongside the livelier Gomez. Diarra looked on several occasions as if he was going to play a killer pass only to over-hit it and kill the move stone dead. Vetokele looked dead-tired, whilst Watt seems dead set on dribbling his way to the end of the season. Tony, we know that you're good at holding the ball mate and when we're in the lead we really do appreciate it, but when we're chasing the game, just try having a shot.

I didn't boo or call-out Parker, personally I feel I've gotten past that stage. To those that did though, I would say the following. If you were around when Parker left and still blame his greedy antics for blowing our best ever chance of playing in Europe, I understand your pain. Go ahead and boo, if it makes you feel better. If you were in nappies when Parker left, then don't pretend to be so affronted. You'd be a lot more Charlton if you didn't try so hard to be Charlton.
  • Parker had a great game, never gave the ball away and would still walk into our starting 11

Yes he did. Two straight out for a throw and no where near a player. Linked up well and always available but like the rest of the Fulham side showed a complete lack of urgency.

His row with a supporter showed lack of concentration. I think he was telling him off for giving him a wanker sign in front of his kids. He has a point but should have been trying to get on with a match they needed to win. A good player, but I would not want him back as too old and expensive.

Quite enjoyed the game. Not too sure how a player who is clearly off side and just missed making contact a yard from the goalkeeper is not active. We did deserve a draw and I thougt Fox. Cousins and Henderson had good games. Not sure we should keep Eagles or Johnson, but they would need replacing.

I hope now we are safe a few of the kids will get a run out. Lennon and Gomez together?
  • Like Cabbles the alarm bells started to ring when Igor couldn't beat Burns in a sprint for the ball from a level start. would love to chat to one of the backroom medical staff and find out what's going on ? he has lost a yard or two of pace since the first half of the season.

After the last 2 games maybe we have under rated Yoni Buyens because not to win any of the six games he has missed shows his influence. Just like when we couldn't win a game when Henderson was missing.

Why did we give Parker so much space again ?

In the 1st half i thought Scott must have terrible BO because no one got anywhere near him ?

Roger Johnson had a crazy time with some comical defending, yet our results have improved since he came in, but it's quite clear that the best CB pairing will be Joe Gomez and Johnson/TBH/ Bikey or Lennon for next season as long as Solly is fit.

Why don't we give Lennon minutes on the field now we're safe as well as
    Aherne-Grant instead of Church.

No championship match should every be meaning less, even if we you give youngsters a chance to gain some experience.

Stephen Henderson was the reason we didn't lose last night and has been fantastic all season. For his and for CAFC fans sake let's hope he stays fit to show what a good Championship keeper he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnson started well, but has tailed off. Not sure I would sign him now. Eagles, looks like a decent squad player – so depends on his wages for me. If Vetokele is 90% fit, we are best resting him and getting him ready for next season. It felt to me that the players were not committed enough. Too much slow deliberate playing in front of opponents. We did thi sin first half against reading but upped tempo in second half. In this game we didn’t up tempo. Fortunate Fulham struggle to score really. Ridiculous free kick ref gave at the end but I knew they would shoot it over! I’d like to see Bikey back. I thought he was our best player in first part of season and with Johnson playing poorly, he deserves a run.
  • Cousins could do worse than watch a video of Parker's performance yesterday and from it perhaps learn about finding space and making a pass.
  • Cousins could do worse than watch a video of Parker's performance yesterday and from it perhaps learn about finding space and making a pass.

I agree but they're different players. If Cousins is going to play that deeper role then he'll need someone a bit more creative ahead of him, a number ten type player. That is not Diarra or Buyens and we do not have a player like that at the moment.

Not sure it was so much Parker finding space well but us standing off him. Maybe Luzon wanted to play that way after playing with 10 men for most of the game on Friday. I didn't think Cousins looked quite as energetic as usual.
  • Very late in posting due to some problems with Mum since we arrived home from the match.

So, briefly, those of you with growing kids might recognise my affinity last night with the fictional character " Flat Stanley".....The adjective described both how I felt and how I perceived our players were feeling too.

I have yet to read Guy's post match comments but would not be surprised if he was disappointed by the performance.

There seemed to be a lack of urgency on the whole, we gave the Cottagers far too much time on the ball coming forward and I felt our midfield was lightweight.

Having said that, Fulham needed the points and had done their homework on our strikers for sure.

A point apiece was probably a fair result but I sincerely hope that we finish the season with a roar, not a whimper....especially at the 3 away games to come when supporters have made the effort to travel & spent their hard earned doing so.

MOM for me was Henders.

• ...those of you with growing kids might recognise my affinity last night with the fictional character " Flat Stanley".....The adjective described both how I felt and how I perceived our players were feeling too...

Ha ha, I'd never heard of Flat Stanley before, but having looked him up he seems to be the perfect metaphor. Let's hope that Mr Luzon has a good bicycle pump.

I agree but they're different players. If Cousins is going to play that deeper role then he'll need someone a bit more creative ahead of him, a number ten type player. That is not Diarra or Buyens and we do not have a player like that at the moment.
    Think back to the Cardiff game, when Gudmundsson moved in to the middle in the second half. That was the best performance by a Charlton midfielder this season IMO.

• As someone who didn't go its funny how there are so many different stances on how the game was: Bore draw, exciting end to end game, we bossed it, they bossed it. Parker was crap, parker was class etc
  • Believe me mate - it was a crap game.