Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Fulham

Comments

• TBH and Roger Johnson for some reason doesn't work. I want Gomez back at CB asap. He looked shaky at RB.

Front two weren't at it at all.

1-1 probably the right result.

Fulham should not be where they are with that squad/budget. In flashes they looked ok but at other times looked utterly two-bob.

9/10 Johan would have scored the second chance and we'd have won.

Players look like they are ready for the beach.
  • some good bits and some dull bits, draw was a fair result. Funniest bit was when Fulham got a free kick, the player who'd been fouled was moaning at the ref. Another Fulham player took it quickly, it smashed into the fouled players leg and went off for our throw. Fulham's centre backs are both giants and there was little point in knocking it long, but we persisted. Likewise, we got loads of corners, but we never score from corners usually and certainly weren't going to outjump their giants. Parker got abuse most of the game and had a bit of a set to with someone in LN, which was daft as it soon escalated into loads of people shouting at him and the ref telling him to stop. Thought the ref was decent, kept play flowing as far as either side could cope with flowing play. And it is progress as McCormack only scored one against us. Still, it is less than £1M a goal from him now.
    There's clearly something very wrong at Fulham for them to have the talent they have and be where they are.
  • Fuckin hell, mate Eagles would sign without a second thought and Fox mom by a long way.Eagles is so comfortable on the ball, give him a proper run.
  • edited April 2015
    I thought it was a decent game, didn't join in the stick with Parker, you'd have thought he was the only player to leave us in the last 20 years, and at least we got a massive fee for him unlike some of the players who ran down their contracts.
    Don't understand Fulham, that they can leave Ruiz and Kacaniklic on the bench, it's as if they prefer to play kids instead.
    Defence was a bit unconvincing at times, a bit casual. Johnson and TBH to me don't seem to gel for some reason, maybe they both prefer to play on the same side, or something like that.

I notice Kiraly was their sub keeper, does he still wear the pyjama trousers!
  • seth plum said:

PWR

Let me get this off my chest to start with. It has been put to me that Parker shouldn't have reacted late on as he did, and he is paid enough to put up with it, but I felt the general antipathy towards him and the reaction by the fans at the front of the north lower was classless and a bit shameful.
    Parker was chopped by Fox quite clearly, and it could have been dangerous, it was a tired player, who was once one of our best ever, and hero worshipped back in the day, and also 'one of our own'. He responded to taunts and jeers and it was all so sad. I am sometimes reminded to 'move on' on matters like Luzon's appointment, or Chris Powell, but sections of our support can't do it with Parker. He left over ten years ago and we still act in such an ungracious way. Very sad, very sad. Sour taste and all that.

I'm glad someone else has said this. The best player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt and, although the way he left us wasn't great, it was over 10 years ago! And I know that debate has been done to death but the heckling of Parker along with the endless Millwall songs really got to me tonight. And why are people singing about Adam Johnson?! I remember a time when we focussed on getting behind the team rather than just being negative about everyone else regardless of whether they're even anything to do with Charlton or even the game in front of us.
    I'll definitely be moving next season-although I may still be able to hear the poison I won't be too close to the idiots singing/chanting it.

Off my soap box now....

The game was poor I thought and we allowed Fulham too much space in the gaping hole between our defence and midfield and I thought they always looked dangerous when attacking. Henderson our MOM again with Fox, Gomez and Bulot doing well. Watt was okay but not up to his usual high standards-teams have certainly done their homework on him so he'll need to keep improving and developing a Plan B as will Luzon.
    What has happened to Igor? Is his fitness that bad? The player at the start of the season was chasing lost causes for 90 minutes and tackling defenders-he looked knackered after 15 minutes tonight and should have been taken off 20 minutes earlier.
    Most disappointing is that, in the space of five days I've gone from genuinely enjoying this season to now looking forward to the end of it.
  • Could have won the game, missed a couple of sitters, but Henderson again made some good saves, to keep the score down.

I'm not convinced 100% that Roger Johnson looks good enough to have earned a contract for next season, but the soft side in me tells me to cut the guy some slack, as he's got a broken rib, do people think he should have another season at Charlton?
  • Sponsored links:

• A fair result. We gave away a sloppy goal but then looked very dangerous at times in the first half, with some good attacking combinations. A great cross from Morgan Fox for the goal. The second half became disjointed and Fulham's dominance of possession and midfield started to give them the edge, so I was happy with a point in the end.

We looked shaky at the back in the first half (especially Roger Johnson) and I didn't think the Diarra and Cousins combination functioned too well in central midfield, albeit they were up against Parker and found themselves outnumbered at times. After a decent start, Igor went on to have another poor game and our threat gradually fizzled out. Offensively, JBG and Watt had some good, if sporadic, moments of quality and I feel that if we'd had as much good possession in their half as they did in ours, we'd have gone on to win the game.

Fulham certainly didn't look like a side hovering above the trapdoor, although they were very uneven and do look like outstandingly bad value, given the size of their wage bill and budget. I can't see Kit Symons being there long term.
  • Very sad all this booing of one of our greatest ever players, especially as you can bet your bollocks that half of those booing never even saw him play in a red shirt.

Not every old player that comes back should get an SCP style reception, but equally there are very few that deserved to get booed, and I can think of plenty that would be in that line in front of Scotty.

Really? Who should be in front of him then, because he's honestly the only player I boo.
  • Worth saying that Fox had a good game. Some people around me where I sit pick up on his every mistake but today they couldn't say anything as he didn't put a foot wrong. Great cross for the (offside?) goal.
  • LenGlover said:

Typical end of season fare. A draw probably fair overall although I felt they were more threatening than us in the second half. Once Bulot went off we seemed to lose a lot of our "ooomph."

Not sure about the Parker stuff, particularly his altercation with the fans. I know people pay their money but so do I and I cannot understand why 10 years on we would abuse one of our best ever players as we do. Yes the way he left was, to put it euphemistically, unfortunate but in my view the good he did for us outweighs the bad. That scouse git Murphy on the other hand....

Anyway back to the match. I was impressed with Bulot, Fox and Cousins in particular and JBG when he flitted into the game. Igor and Watt, Watt, Watt worked hard off the ball but did not have too many clear cut chances although Watt shot narrowly wide. Ultimately though the Fulham goalkeeper had a far easier evening Than Stephen Henderson, Henderson who made one magnificent finger tip diving save.

In a moment of madness I signed away another £500 plus on season tickets as I arrived relatively early. Here's hoping I don't regret it!

COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too coughed up my readies tonight for (yet) another season as well, only £475 though!
  • Never felt there was too much between Fox and Wiggins on the defensive side, even thou Fox is a better header of the ball. Morgan is now getting forward and his crossing has improved so much. Rhoys still has twinkle toes going forward but really can't afford to take so many sickie next season.

Felt tonight game was decent in first half but we lacked tempo in second and it seemed more like a Bob Peeters type game. That's why it ended 1-1 i guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never felt there was too much between Fox and Wiggins on the defensive side, even thou Fox is a better header of the ball. Morgan is now getting forward and his crossing has improved so much. Rhoys still has twinkle toes going forward but really can't afford to take so many sickie next season.

Felt tonight game was decent in first half but we lacked tempo in second and it seemed more like a Bob Peeters type game. That's why it ended 1-1 i guess.

To me Morgan tends to stay too central, like another CB, and as a result the winger does often seem to be left in a lot of space by the touchline.

It was noticeable in the 1st half that everything came down his side, both their attacks and our attacks, as he made some great crosses, but did seem to be caught out defensively.

Gomez, by contrast was more solid, but contributed less going forward

• edited April 2015
    SE7toSG3 said:

End of season type of game and I quite enjoyed not being overly stressed about the outcome, glad the goal was controversial, was it offside? I feel closure for that ridiculous throw in/free kick caper all those years ago that cost us points when we were playing for our premiership lives.

#nevermoveon

I will NEVER feel any sort of closure about that. Ever. I remember bursting into tears at the end of that game, was only about 10 but it was gut wrenching. I think that is part of the reason I hate Fulham so much.

They were never a great threat, I agree with some on here saying they were there for the taking. Thought they looked like a team low on confidence. We didn't look to impressive either though, Watt had brief spells of brilliance, a few others where I think he over did it a bit and could of perhaps released it earlier. Spent a bit too long in the pub before and didn't realise how big the queue was going to be, missed both the bloody goals! Serves me right I spose. Got to my seat just after our goal, JBG should have had another! Second half wasn't too exciting, quite dull, our only real opportunity I can remember was Watt putting that ball across goal.

Impressed with Fox tonight, he's getting better by the game.
  • Also, didn't boo Parker, really don't see the point, one of my favourite players growing up. I remember telling my two uncles who are Millwall and Arsenal that there was no way he was ever going to leave Charlton when they were trying to convince me he was on his way, oh the naivety!
  • Just having a quiet pint in the champagne bar at liv St with a Fulham mate

As I predicted they bossed it, Parker was superb, lots of small intricate passes but on another level to our lot

I punched the air at the final score

As an aside I thought our support post Scum was good and as I have just told my mate I would hate to be a Fulham fan - 2200 tops and probably only 300 who stood and were up for it

You obviousy were at a different game to me.
  • Did Curbs get a good reception?
  • I always find the level of abuse Parker gets whenever he returns to The Valley well OTT

*Puts on tin hat

The bloke next to me tonight rather disagrees with your views! My left ear took a right bashing (there's no such thing as a left bashing).

What was Parker supposed to do as a young man being called upon by Chelsea and the big lights?

The irony is that he didn't turn into the superstar player they all predicted - a decent ball winner and play breaker, can spot a pass but not gifted with that little bit extra that many, including myself, thought he had in his locker.

I can think of many midfielders I would choose ahead of him.

He does put in a shift and deserves better than he got tonight.

Any young player would be attracted by a contract at Chelsea.
  • Very sad all this booing of one of our greatest ever players, especially as you can bet your bollocks that half of those booing never even saw him play in a red shirt.

Not every old player that comes back should get an SCP style reception, but equally there are very few that deserved to get booed, and I can think of plenty that would be in that line in front of Scotty.

Is that one of our greatest ever player the same one who jumped ship as soon as ££££ were flashed in front of him and acted like a spoilt brat when at first he didn't get his way
    I don't want to get into the whole Scotty debate again, as people seem to have some pretty entrenched views on the subject.

Suffice to say that I wouldn't boo him, but if Messrs Pardew, Hasselbaink, Traore, Faye, M.Bent, Jeffers, Diawara (and possibly others), ever made an appearance then I think that given their pitiful contribution to our demise, then they would be entitled to a less than enthusiastic reception.
  • edited April 2015
    As the season runs down to a more than welcome stress free conclusion and our fate already decided the outcome of where other clubs end up is the only thing to be really bovered about for me.
    Well one more point for Fulham moves them away from those who must not be mentioned , so things look better for this Charlton fan anyway.

50% 7th-12th ....... 50% 13th-21st

100% pleased with Luzons Lazarus like work for us