Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn - post match views

1235»

Comments

• That's an idea. Wonder what others think?
  • Played like they had all been on the piss the night before back 4 looked like they had never met. Even Solly was poor.

Looked like nobody wanted to mark Rhodes as he was given the freedom of the valley, very strange tactics.

Rhodes enjoyed the fact that he didn't have to face Morrison!

• vffvff
    edited March 2015

vff said:

The posters could become celebrities and do endorsements like branded cadigans, patterned sponsored flasks, sponsored medication etc.

Sponsored Fannies, vff?

:blush:

That's sure to be popular. It would make for an interesting badge.
  • vff said:

vff said:

The posters could become celebrities and do endorsements like branded cadigans, patterned sponsored flasks, sponsored medication etc.

Sponsored Fannies, vff?

:blush:

That's sure to be popular. It would make for an interesting badge.
    More of s Sporran, perhaps?
    Tony Watt would be a willing customer, no doubt.
  • I've just watched the highlights. All 3 Blackburn goals were howlers from us. No 1, Solly - what was he doing? No 2, Johnson - total lack of concentration. No 3, Buyens (?) - what was that header all about?

Igor was unlucky with his header. Watt was unlucky with his one on one. On another day we would have won that. Just wasn't our day. On to Blackpool.
  • Played like they had all been on the piss the night before back 4 looked like they had never met. Even Solly was poor.

Looked like nobody wanted to mark Rhodes as he was given the freedom of the valley, very strange tactics.

Rhodes enjoyed the fact that he didn't have to face Morrison!

More than probably I guess
  • Nadou said:

Buyers takes a good penalty but my heart is always in my mouth when he runs up to take it because I'm worried he'll pass it sideways.

Buyens certainly takes a good penalty that's for sure. He mixes them up as well, so any keeper that saves one, will have done so by 'just guessing right' rather than studying previous pens.
  • Wasn't Saturdays penalty the first one he put to the keepers left and the previous 5 were to the keepers right
    He said he knows where he's going to put the penalty before he goes up but has the ability to adjust if the keepers going that way
  • Sponsored links:

• Nadou said:

Buyers takes a good penalty but my heart is always in my mouth when he runs up to take it because I'm worried he'll pass it sideways.

Buyens certainly takes a good penalty that's for sure. He mixes them up as well, so any keeper that saves one, will have done so by 'just guessing right' rather than studying previous pens.
    If you believe what is written in The People, apparently Buyens is open to offers for next season.
  • Flat performence until we pulled one back then looked hungry again. All 4 defenders were shockingly poor with Solly and Johnson at fault for the first 2 goals.

As most have said already, just one of those games that nothing went right. Write off and move on.
  • Possibly a bit less effort as there's not really much to play for now. We need to give Blackpool a bit of a thumping and make sure we beat Millwall for the first time in god knows when to ensure there's a positive feeling off the back of this season.

Buyens is an alright champ player with some glaring faults, though I think they get highlighted more than others (maybe because of him playing in a defensive position?). I'd take him back next season as a squad player but I'd like someone with a bit more bite in there next to Cousins as first choice.

Bad day all round but we're not going to win everything so we collectively move on
  • Please,please,please can the players stop passing backwards and sideways to the exclusion of a forward pass.Too often using this as a "cop-out" ball.Can't be bothered to try a positive pass to a forward-placed player,or into space for a runner or to a diagonal runner,so just pass it backwards/sideways/run in a pretty circle and pass it back and give someone else the responsibility.Can't believe how many times Chris Solly did that--he's far too good for that to be his choice so I will put the blame here on Mr Luzon.Retain possession,no problem,but we have to be positive and place the opposition defence under pressure.Look how poor Blackburn were when we did that but passing it across their sitting midfield got us nowhere.And the same at Cardiff,by the way.
    PLEASE!!
  • Mr. Happy said:

One of those games. Three very poor goals to concede, the last two from individual errors. Cant be too despondant as at 2-1 we had them on the ropes and when Igor hit the bar and Watt stuck one just wide I still thought we could nick at least a point. The third killed us off.

On to Blackpool, hope Gomez returns at CH. Johnson looked ragged all game and TBH was poor. Maybe a start for Eagles too.

Hope too many don't come on giving out pelters, just a bad day at office. We move on.

Agree with this 100%

Really did pick the wrong side to gift those chances to!

What is it with Blackburn? They are certainly one of our nemesis teams. I even remember the day Curbs resigned in 2006 - my one visit that whole season - they were the opposition. Or maybe it's me.... whatever, to lose to them three times in one season is just being bloody careless. Maybe next season - assuming we're still in the Championship - we should just concede them the points and take two weekends off.
  • Please,please,please can the players stop passing backwards and sideways to the exclusion of a forward pass.Too often using this as a "cop-out" ball.Can't be bothered to try a positive pass to a forward-placed player,or into space for a runner or to a diagonal runner,so just pass it backwards/sideways/run in a pretty circle and pass it back and give someone else the responsibility.Can't believe how many times Chris Solly did that--he's far too good for that to be his choice so I will put the blame here on Mr Luzon.Retain possession,no problem,but we have to be positive and place the opposition defence under pressure.Look how poor Blackburn were when we did that but passing it across their sitting midfield got us nowhere.And the same at Cardiff,by the way.
    PLEASE!!

Hardly fair to blame Luzon tactically considering the goals we've scored and way we've played over the last few weeks. It was Blackburn closing us down that prevented the forward passes
  • So,what went wrong on Saturday?This retain possession yet don't venture forward is just the same as Peeters' tactics too.Watch how Blackburn(or any other opposition) attack us,they can find space,pick out players in attack and thread a ball through.We automatically take a throw-in looking back to the defence,free-kicks go back to Tal Ben Haim or Roger Johnson.They aren't our play-makers,what are they doing with it?Come to that,who are the play-makers?
    I like what Luzon has done and we look a force now,no problem---so why play it cagey against Blackburn for so much of the game?We played them in on each goal,why were we so nervous?
    None of it is making sense and it is frustrating.
    Maybe I will feel better if we win well tomorrow.
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

A major accident some way (thankfully) ahead of me on the M25 meant I didn't get home until just gone 8pm so I had plenty of time to muse the game. It was indeed a strange one. I knew Blackburn were going to be tough opposition and so it proved; good players, well drilled, athletic and tons of sheer professional know-how on display. Even at our best it would have been a big ask but the fact that we gifted them all three goals through schoolboy defensive work just made it a very simple afternoon for them. Never mind, the purple patch was never going to stay that purple. We have a great chance to bounce back with a win at Blackpool and again next Saturday - that will be a good test of our usual fragile confidence and Luzon's ability to lift the team.

Highlight of the day for me was the great pleasure of meeting @GlassHalfFull and @Fanny Fanackapan for a drink before the game. Lovely people, as many of you already know.

They are, but didn't you like me then? Nice to meet you.

Aaarrgh! So sorry @HantsAddick . I really didn't make the connection. We badly need CL name badges so we know who the heck we're talking to when we do meet! Lovely to meet you too!
    We should have name badges shouldn't we? To be fair to you, I don't think I actually admitted to my CL name when we met.

Perhaps our mums could sew our CL names into our clothing, jumpers, mittens, wooly hats etc...
    My mum did that but nobody said hi :-(
  • My mum stitched my CL name into the skin of my forehead with brightly coloured fishing line. No-one came up to say hi to me either. What the hell is wrong with people?
  • Sponsored links:

• Good points from Saturday; Vetokele and Watt continue to link well, Fox has and is still getting better, Cousins is a star and consistent for every game while playing in the centre. Not so good points, The understanding between defence was lacking and also we were off the pace and needed more focus and hopefully will rectify for tomorrow night, Buyens still needs to improve his passing (he tackles well) Henderson could have made more of an effort to save their second, the strikers were a little off the pace as was the ability to hit the target BUT Blackburn had a good defence and let little pass them and they were better than well organised so take nothing from them plus they took their chances that unfortunately came too easily. As we can forget play-offs I think Gomez should play every game until he suggests that he should not ; I like Roger Johnson, Gomez Ben Haim and Solly I also like Fox (can anyone else play left back apart from Wiggins..probably not)
  • Mamparra said:

Mr. Happy said:

One of those games. Three very poor goals to concede, the last two from individual errors. Cant be too despondant as at 2-1 we had them on the ropes and when Igor hit the bar and Watt stuck one just wide I still thought we could nick at least a point. The third killed us off.

On to Blackpool, hope Gomez returns at CH. Johnson looked ragged all game and TBH was poor. Maybe a start for Eagles too.

Hope too many don't come on giving out pelters, just a bad day at office. We move on.

Agree with this 100%

Really did pick the wrong side to gift those chances to!

What is it with Blackburn? They are certainly one of our nemesis teams. I even remember the day Curbs resigned in 2006 - my one visit that whole season - they were the opposition. Or maybe it's me.... whatever, to lose to them three times in one season is just being bloody careless. Maybe next season - assuming we're still in the Championship - we should just concede them the points and take two weekends off.
    Don't forget that Les got his only league win at home to Rovers with an injury time free kick winner on a cold Monday night in December.
  • That was a truly dreadful game, I think that El Kak bagged a very ugly late winner.

Blackburn were also our opponents in the worst games that I have ever seen, which was a 0-0 at Selhurst on New Years Day 1990. I remember standing on the Holmesdale, and was crying tears of cold. The only other thing that I remember from that game, was the continual sight/sound of Colin Hendry heading away our aimless hoof's, and being in awe of his flowing peroxide mullett (this was 1990 remember).
  • Very bad day at the office defensively but we continued to create chances so not too worried just a bad result. The first goal should not have stood as Rhodes clearly used his hand to control the ball and if disallowed we may have got something from the game. I cannot understand why Gomez wasn't playing TBH was all over the place, Johnson was on some sort of mental walkabout, Solly was very poor and as result Fox looked nervous.

Never mind beat Blackpool, and then Reading who on the evidence of last night are well beatable
  • That was a truly dreadful game, I think that El Kak bagged a very ugly late winner.

Blackburn were also our opponents in the worst games that I have ever seen, which was a 0-0 at Selhurst on New Years Day 1990. I remember standing on the Holmesdale, and was crying tears of cold. The only other thing that I remember from that game, was the continual sight/sound of Colin Hendry heading away our aimless hoof's, and being in awe of his flowing peroxide mullett (this was 1990 remember).

If memory serves well, I think he hit a 30 yard screamer around the wall from a free-kick.
  • Was just odd all around. A general sense of malaise from the team and the crowd. I've come away from the ground thinking it was one of those games. It happens sometimes.

Aside from that, the first 15 mins of the second half was where we looked something like the team of our winning run. Maybe if Igor's header across goal had gone in rather than hit the bar, we'd have got out of jail.

That was the pivotal moment of the second half as it turned out.

Sums up exactly how i felt walking out after the game and still do