Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn - post match views

Comments

• You can't question the effort. Just loss of concentration. Tried to get something from it. But not to be. On to the next game.
  • I remember reading a lot of PMVs like this in March, circa 2002-2004. At least it wasn't 6-1.

Watt and Veto are just kids compared to Jordan Rhodes.

Im just relieved I could listen without the Blackburn goals being daggers through the heart.

• That was a very poor defensive performance. Blackburn are a good side but we gifted them all 3 goals.

Still if Igors header had gone in things might have been different.
  • Not going to get to down about this

We weren't awful we weren't great, we switched of twice and gifted one, game set and match.

After goal, it was not a red, we had a spell, but it was not to be.

C,est la vie

What a difference a month makes
  • cabbles said:

I remember reading a lot of PMVs like this in March, circa 2002-2004. At least it wasn't 6-1.

Im just relieved I could listen without the Blackburn goals being daggers through the heart.

Give Watt a chance and he could be every bit as good as Rhodes. They're different types of players. Rhodes is an out an out finisher. Watt is more (for want of a better comparison) your Bergkamp type role.

I haven't felt so excited about when one player gets the ball in I don't know how long as I do when Watt gets the ball.

He is our key for next season. Build the team around him and we've got a chance.
    Blackburn had done their homework and many of Watt's carefully timed or dummied short balls through the defender's legs/past the defender did not work because they surrounded him in numbers and, more importantly, just stood off him a split second longer than they might, waiting and not committing or trying to put a foot in - it worked.
  • One of those games. Blackburn scored 3 goals without creating the 3 goals and didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. They should be better than us and they were. Too many constant mistakes by us and they won far more 50-50's than we did. No one other than Henderson can say they had a good game on our side.
    Ah well, a game to forget and move on to the next one.
  • edited March 2015
    We lost a mid table game by playing poorly and gifting the other team the goals.
    We almost appeared over confident because we looked apathetic at times?
    Anyway this loss might be the kick up the arse we need to remind us that we must play at 100% in every department to win games today.
    Only one player in our team played well today and that's the bloke that took a fitness test before the game.

Am I bovvered? Nah not really cos every team has a stinker now and then.
  • Sponsored links:

• purdis said:

cabbles said:

I remember reading a lot of PMVs like this in March, circa 2002-2004. At least it wasn't 6-1.

Give Watt a chance and he could be every bit as good as Rhodes. They're different types of players. Rhodes is an out an out finisher. Watt is more (for want of a better comparison) your Bergkamp type role.

I haven't felt so excited about when one player gets the ball in I don't know how long as I do when Watt gets the ball.

He is our key for next season. Build the team around him and we've got a chance.
    Blackburn had done their homework and many of Watt's carefully timed or dummied short balls through the defender's legs/past the defender did not work because they surrounded him in numbers and, more importantly, just stood off him a split second longer than they might, waiting and not committing or trying to put a foot in - it worked.
    That's going to happen if one player is our sole threat. That's why I was so pissed off at the rest of them. We win as a team. Willing to accept it's an off day and given how well we've done over the last month I won't beat them up for this, but that's where the frustration comes from. Had we not gone kamikaze in defence we might've had a chance.

The difference is that pre Xmas we didn't look like we could cause any teams any trouble offensively. Now we do. It's just frustration.
  • Solly is making a few mistakes too many recently and maybe Gomez should be given a starting berth ahead of him, that's the whole point of having a squad isn't it ?

Thought today was pretty abject really, mistakes across the team. My biggest criticism being we allowed Rovers far too much space across the park. Tony Watt Watt Watt wasted a great chance, one on one with the keeper and Igor hitting the post twice didn't help. In truth tho we didn't deserve anything from today. Must make sure we up our game on Tuesday. COYRS !!
  • Disappointed but not down about that result. Blackburn deserved to win, though I don't expect us to make so many mistakes. I thought Johnson switched off for the second because he'd handballed it and was expecting the ref to blow. Doesn't matter, should have been more alert. They were prepared for TWWW, he had three on him whenever he got the ball, and at times still broke away. Thought the ref was a bit intimidated by Blackburn. Not just the penalty when the goalie only got a yellow, but there was a free kick on the left in the second half when he paced out 10, the Blackburn wall was at 9, they wouldn't move so he ended up spraying in front of where they were standing. THought he should have booked more than one of them for timewasting as well, but the defeat was merited on football terms.
  • vffvff
    edited March 2015
  • I think today's game shows that Gomez needs to now be one of our centre backs alongside AN Other. Johnson, Beb Haim and Bikey are all too slow to play alongside each other.

Cousins our best player today.

One of those game where we couldn't get going and unfortunately gifted them three goals. It happens and that is still five wins in seven which we would always take?

To be fair to Blackburn they came and did their job. Very disciplined and organised and a little too much nous for us.
  • edited March 2015

A lovely sunny day and Len and the little girl, fortified by some excellent wallop from Chirpy's pub en route (ish), made our way to the ground only to discover that the museum had already closed. This was 1:45 or thereabouts. Undaunted we mooched round a crowded club shop before making our way to our seats to see the 68/69 players together with the unexpected added bonus of seeing Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds and the great Len himself.

Enough of the preamble and onto the game. Best summarised perhaps by that old Greavesie quote It's a funny old game Saint.

Blackburn quickly put down a marker for taking us on physically aided and abetted by a referee who seemingly happily ignored blatant Blackburn pushes into Charlton backs right in front of him when competing for 50:50 balls. After 15 minutes or so the hypnotist character from Little Britain seemed to have infiltrated the entire Charlton team as a collective lack of concentration, ball watching, call it what you will allowed Morrison's old rabbit Rhodes to score a simple goal. A minute or two later the normally solid Johnson had what can only be described as a complete aberration as he completely missed the ball allowing Conway a clear one on one with Henderson where unfortunately for us he showed himself to be more Mendonca than Lisbie 2-0.

Those collective and individual mistakes effectively settled the game there and then. Charlton had a decent spell of pressure in the five to ten minutes prior to Yoni's penalty and did so again in the immediate aftermath for a similar length of time. It was one of those situations though where a breakaway goal was always on the cards and sure enough that rabbit that should have been on Morrison's shelf scored once more to effectively hammer the final nail into Charlton's coffin.

As for player performances Solly was pretty decent other than being partially to blame for the opening goal along with the rest of the back 4 possibly excepting Fox. Fox, TBH and particularly Johnson all looked distinctly shaky at times but all redeemed themselves to some extent too. Cousins was his usual hard working self, Buyens missed a few tackles but despatched his penalty in clinical fashion once more. For Tony Watt it was a bit of after the Lord Mayor's show given his spectacular impact in recent matches. JBG and Igor tried to make things happen but nothing quite came off. Bulot looked a bit jaded too. Henderson made some decent saves but took an absolute age to restart to the extent that you would have thought he was time wasting for the winning team! I know our players don't always move to give him options but it was ridiculous at times today.

In conclusion we played like a team who had done the job of preserving their league status for next season so what would be would be. Blackburn, with their superior physicality seemed to have that little bit more desire too.

Probably a fair result if I'm honest.

• I think today's game shows that Gomez needs to now be one of our centre backs alongside AN Other. Johnson, Beb Haim and Bikey are all too slow to play alongside each other.

Cousins our best player today.

One of those game where we couldn't get going and unfortunately gifted them three goals. It happens and that is still five wins in seven which we would always take?

To be fair to Blackburn they came and did their job. Very disciplined and organised and a little too much nous for us.

Gomez may have been a better bet as he is quicker and handled Antonio against Forest. TBH looked really rusty. Gomez adds bit of pace alongside TBH / Bikey and Johnson who are not the quickest. A settled central defensive pairing is a preferable thing IMO. Maybe Luzon is looking for what they may be or we may have to deal with constant rotation.
  • Change subject of the match- I saw all those 1960s players. Billy Bonds, Brian Kinsey, Peter Reeves and Paul Went would not have made those mistakes. Len Glover best winger ever to play for Charlton. Pity Matt Tees not there. Headed a ball better than anyone. Charlie Wright a great goalkeeper and a character.
  • Everyone keeps saying Solly mistake for the first by playing it out when it was already going out. Perhaps he was trying to stop it going out by hooking it back into play, but it didn't work.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Everyone keeps saying Solly mistake for the first by playing it out when it was already going out. Perhaps he was trying to stop it going out by hooking it back into play, but it didn't work.

And therefore was a mistake (:
  • thenewbie said:

Bit harsh on Solly there Purdis, Blackburn took that throw very well and worked it quickly and accurately - far more often you'd see teams that take throws THAT fast break down pretty quickly as they aren't ready themselves. Hindsight says Solly should have leathered it but Solly doesn't really have sole responsibility for that one.

No-one came out of that covered in glory, especially not from a defensive perspective. You can't give someone like Rhodes the kind of opportunities he got today and not expect him to punish you. That's the difference a player like that can make, Watt CAN be that player for us but he's still got something to prove with consistency opposed to a (VERY impressive) purple patch of form.</blockquote

Point taken and we all know that decision making is often governed by how under pressure we are on the ball and what options we have around us.
    I'm sure Chris would agree, in hindsight, that he should have either left it completely or hoofed it.
    The point is that he was obviously not aware of where his team mates were and their shape, or lack of it.
    The quick throw should never have been allowed - ask any Academy coach and player who has listened to that coach.

• A major accident some way (thankfully) ahead of me on the M25 meant I didn't get home until just gone 8pm so I had plenty of time to muse the game. It was indeed a strange one. I knew Blackburn were going to be tough opposition and so it proved; good players, well drilled, athletic and tons of sheer professional know-how on display. Even at our best it would have been a big ask but the fact that we gifted them all three goals through schoolboy defensive work just made it a very simple afternoon for them. Never mind, the purple patch was never going to stay that purple. We have a great chance to bounce back with a win at Blackpool and again next Saturday - that will be a good test of our usual fragile confidence and Luzon's ability to lift the team.

Highlight of the day for me was the great pleasure of meeting @GlassHalfFull and @Fanny Fanackapan for a drink before the game. Lovely people, as many of you already know.
  • Nothing to add of any note to what's already been posted.

A day when we never seemed to get started - and that applies to the faithful too.

Thought Blackburn deserved an " A * " for their homework on Igor & TWWW, although the latter did his utmost to thwart the numerous defenders milling around him...and it almost worked.

However, we did manage to contribute in no small part to our own demise & I agree with those who pointed out that RJ & TBH are not a marriage made in heaven at the back....Hopefully Guy be of the same opinion and although Tal has been a rock for the majority of the season so far, was it wise to change a winning pairing ? And are the games catching up with Chris Solly ?

I haven't read our manager's post match comments yet but I'm sure he'll be honest enough to reflect on our shortcomings against a team buoyed by their mid week performance. It was hoped that their players might tire towards the last quarter of the match but if they did, sadly we couldn't take advantage.

I sincerely hope that today was a one off & that we bounce back on Tuesday evening for all those making the long trip north to support the lads. I don't expect to win every game but the confidence flowing from every player of late went awol this afternoon for some inexplicable reason and on the whole, the Rovers made us look a very average side IMO.

It would be disappointing to say the least if our season tailed off from hereon in and I'm certain that Guy will not allow this to happen. But a degree of loin girding is on the cards between now & our visit to the beach. My Kiss Me Quick hat will stay firmly out of sight until we are at least 3 goals to the good....

Keep the faith.
  • Bit harsh on Solly there Purdis, Blackburn took that throw very well and worked it quickly and accurately - far more often you'd see teams that take throws THAT fast break down pretty quickly as they aren't ready themselves. Hindsight says Solly should have leathered it but Solly doesn't really have sole responsibility for that one.

No-one came out of that covered in glory, especially not from a defensive perspective. You can't give someone like Rhodes the kind of opportunities he got today and not expect him to punish you. That's the difference a player like that can make, Watt CAN be that player for us but he's still got something to prove with consistency opposed to a (VERY impressive) purple patch of form.

Point taken and we all know that decision making is often governed by how under pressure we are on the ball and what options we have around us.
    I'm sure Chris would agree, in hindsight, that he should have either left it completely or hoofed it.
    The point is that he was obviously not aware of where his team mates were and their shape, or lack of it.
    The quick throw should never have been allowed - ask any Academy coach and player who has listened to that coach.
    Yeah, the throw in was Solly's mistake but the goal was not, is how I would sum it up. Solly was disappointing by his usual standards, there were crosses going in normally I thought he'd cut out so perhaps he's not at 100% effectiveness right now. His decision making is usually one of his greatest strengths, he's got the defensive nous and brain of a much older, more experienced player in a young man's skull so it is especially surprising that he of all players should make an error of judgment like that. Still, as with Johnson he'll know that was a mistake and work on cutting repeats out so I am not worried he's losing his touch overall!
  • Well hopefully that will be the final nail in the coffin for the play=off boys..........and so back to reality.

Most has been said already - one of those days/you don't give class strikers that amount of room/bogey side/wrong centre half selection/if Igors header had gone in............

just pleased we had won a few beforehand otherwise I would have not liked the last 15 mins. Thought at 2-1 we had a purple patch & the game could easily have finished 2-2 or even 3-2 to us.....and nobody would have complained.

hey ho, onto Blackpool. They cant win for love nor money so will show where we are in the scheme of things,

• You can use Simple Html in your post.

Maybe Roland gave a motivational speech when he visited the training ground? Just kidding...

They were very flat. Perhaps RD lined them up at Sparrows Lane, pointed at them saying "sold in the summer", sold, keep, keep, sold.
    Blackburn played us like Prem teams used to with two clinical first half finishes and particularly their response to our goal once they'd quickly snuffed out our attempt to equalise. They brought an intense, physical, skilful attitude in going for a third. But this was not a disheartening performance from us and had Watt taken his chance we'd have seen a better game.
  • Succotash said:

You can use Simple Html in your post.

Maybe Roland gave a motivational speech when he visited the training ground? Just kidding...

They were very flat. Perhaps RD lined them up at Sparrows Lane, pointed at them saying "sold in the summer", sold, keep, keep, sold.
    Blackburn played us like Prem teams used to with two clinical first half finishes and particularly their response to our goal once they'd quickly snuffed out our attempt to equalise. They brought an intense, physical, skilful attitude in going for a third. But this was not a disheartening performance from us and had Watt taken his chance we'd have seen a better game.
    Got to give the Blackburn manager credit, what he's clearly done well is drill them and coach them into keeping shape and style and not getting drawn into trying to play us at our game, simply sticking to their own - for example no individual player got tight on Watt to give away fouls, but two or three would intercept the balls he would normally pass off to Bulot/JBG or Vetokele. They got their two goals, did exactly what they needed to do to keep the lead, when they lost it, they got it back pretty fast and never looked like losing it again. Professionally done, not the most exciting or dynamic team and without Rhodes/Gestede maybe they'd struggle more but they are a solid outfit for sure, that kind of style wouldn't hurt our own chances I think.
  • Whe

Enjoyed the game immensely: Blackburn's long, curving balls beyond our defence to Jordan Rhodes, sprinting to receive - three times in the first 20 minutes - and our spirited rally in the second half: an athletic header from Vetokele against the bar, and Watt one-on-one - but an inch wide. With his direct forward play, Tony Watt is our saviour this season; there was a lovely bit in the second half when he muscled through a scrum of three defenders to advance.

We can keep possession much better than we could six months ago: our sideways passes are more accurately passed and quickly received. Ha! But watch our fifteen-yard balls from defence to midfield: they put the recipient under unnecessary pressure. Blackburn are skilful enough to send 40-yard balls to a muscular and speedy attack. In contrast, our strikers are static off the ball, and when we were 2-1 down the whole team defended the corners: there was no outlet upfield for Henderson's release.

Today was an important lesson: Blackburn are a class above us, yet they themselves are unlikely to make the play-offs. Any idea from Duchatelet, Meire or anyone else that we must bumble along from August as best we can and strengthen the squad at Christmas if we are in decent form looks even more absurd.

That tough, creative, advancing midfield player we have been demanding for three years at least - where is he?

Good summary - was hoping Buyens would be the man but he seems to have stagnated.

Creative midfielders need movement around them, clever movement, runners drawing defenders etc.
    That requires hard work and we didn't put it in first half.

They were clinical but we could have taken them if we'd managed to get them on the back foot and we almost did.

Don't be too scathing - we are not that far behind and we'd probably be able to take Ipswich now on their current form.