Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn - post match views

Comments

• colin1961 said:

Strange game to put into writing , we did we deserve to lose say no was we the better footballing team yes .. There nothing you can do with individual errors and s poor ref .. First Solly who had the worst 45 mins ever the throw in was ours so first why clear IT and second boot the thing into row Z not straight to the player .. Second Johnson just took his eye of the ball and bang 2-0 .... To be honest up to Solly mistake there had not been much in the game . But credit to Charlton even at 2-0 we still played well and on the eve of HT a crucial decision goes against us , keeper could only clear to Vetokeke who shoots towards goal only for the ball to strike the defender clearly on the arm not only a pen but sending off ,, nothing second half keeper takes out Vetokele who was about to score Pen but more amazing the keeper stayed on they should have been playing with nine men ???
    After Vetokeke hits the bar/ Post and Watt scraps the post with a shot just wide ...
    Plus points performance was good , but today just was not our day

Blimey, amazing how people can watch different games. We were well beaten by a much better side. Amazed Blackburn are not higher up the table as they are well organised and where we need to be to get out of this league imo. Our back 4 were atrocious against the best striker in the league. Buyens decided to help them along by giving them the ball every time he got it. I would play Gomez in every game so he is up for next season.
  • Luzon likes to rotate the players.

Perhaps now with us safe he can have a starting eleven of who he sees as to be with us next season. The others put to the bench.
  • edited March 2015
    Played like they had all been on the piss the night before back 4 looked like they had never met. Even Solly was poor.

Looked like nobody wanted to mark Rhodes as he was given the freedom of the valley, very strange tactics.
  • Davo55 said:

A major accident some way (thankfully) ahead of me on the M25 meant I didn't get home until just gone 8pm so I had plenty of time to muse the game. It was indeed a strange one. I knew Blackburn were going to be tough opposition and so it proved; good players, well drilled, athletic and tons of sheer professional know-how on display. Even at our best it would have been a big ask but the fact that we gifted them all three goals through schoolboy defensive work just made it a very simple afternoon for them. Never mind, the purple patch was never going to stay that purple. We have a great chance to bounce back with a win at Blackpool and again next Saturday - that will be a good test of our usual fragile confidence and Luzon's ability to lift the team.

Highlight of the day for me was the great pleasure of meeting @GlassHalfFull and @Fanny Fanackapan for a drink before the game. Lovely people, as many of you already know.

They are, but didn't you like me then? Nice to meet you.

• Can't add much more to what has already been said. Blackburn deserved their win. All our players seemed flat, something I'd hoped for from the others as they'd played mid-week, and have a replay coming up. Even Guy stayed sitting down most of the match, didn't expect that! Could not blame Henderson for any of the goals, was left totally exposed by dire defending and Buyens took the penalty perfectly. That's about it really.

On a lighter note, really enjoyed seeing the players I admired as a schoolgirl. Though Charlie Wright looked wonderful for his age, whatever that is, Paul Went has piled on some weight though he never was tiny, and great to see Dennis Booth, Phil Warman, Theo Foley, Mike Bailey and all the others that were there, including KP, of course! Wonder what they thought of our team?
  • vffvff
    edited March 2015

Can't add much more to what has already been said. Blackburn deserved their win. All our players seemed flat, something I'd hoped for from the others as they'd played mid-week, and have a replay coming up. Even Guy stayed sitting down most of the match, didn't expect that! Could not blame Henderson for any of the goals, was left totally exposed by dire defending and Buyens took the penalty perfectly. That's about it really.

On a lighter note, really enjoyed seeing the players I admired as a schoolgirl. Though Charlie Wright looked wonderful for his age, whatever that is, Paul Went has piled on some weight though he never was tiny, and great to see Dennis Booth, Phil Warman, Theo Foley, Mike Bailey and all the others that were there, including KP, of course! Wonder what they thought of our team?

I know what Phil Warman (left back) would have thought about Buyens tackling ability. Same He probably also thought that the two bookable challenges by the west side near touchline, one on Solly (not booked) and one by Fox (booked) were perfectly reasonable challenges. If Phil Warman played as he did today, he would be in double figure red cards by the end of the season. Tough player, Phil Warman. No one messed with him. Actually smaller at 5 ft 6 than Chris Solly, 5 ft 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Warman
  • Thought we were poor. Won hardly any 2nd ball, got muscled out of most stuff, our strikers seemed to always have 3 defenders around them (and hassling them too) - whereas we just seemed to stand off and let them have possession. Gave the ball away in crucial areas time and time again.
    No urgency nor willingness to pressure - i thought Luzons 'game' was a high-line pressure one - i saw very little of that.
    Thought Henderson and Cousins were only ones to come out with any credit - thought Cousins was superb - made right decisions, passed well, and looked like only person who could upick their defence.
    Did anyone else see Solly tread on the Pigeon - or was it my eyes?!
  • vffvff
    edited March 2015
    What has happened to the program sellers before the game ? I didn't see any In Floyd Rd and none outside ground, and I arrived around 20 minutes before the game started. The programme sellers usually outnumber the Voice of the Valley sellers but there were none on Floyd Rd or outside the car park in the West stand.

Must have helped sales of Voice of the Valley this week. Very strange though (not the Voice of the Valley sellers that is).
  • Davo55 said:

A major accident some way (thankfully) ahead of me on the M25 meant I didn't get home until just gone 8pm so I had plenty of time to muse the game. It was indeed a strange one. I knew Blackburn were going to be tough opposition and so it proved; good players, well drilled, athletic and tons of sheer professional know-how on display. Even at our best it would have been a big ask but the fact that we gifted them all three goals through schoolboy defensive work just made it a very simple afternoon for them. Never mind, the purple patch was never going to stay that purple. We have a great chance to bounce back with a win at Blackpool and again next Saturday - that will be a good test of our usual fragile confidence and Luzon's ability to lift the team.

Highlight of the day for me was the great pleasure of meeting @GlassHalfFull and @Fanny Fanackapan for a drink before the game. Lovely people, as many of you already know.

Aaarrgh! So sorry @HantsAddick . I really didn't make the connection. We badly need CL name badges so we know who the heck we're talking to when we do meet! Lovely to meet you too!
  • Sponsored links:

• I blame the Belgians all the noise kept their goalie awake.
  • Wondered when the Fox bashing would start.

His crosses weren't great (over hits too many of them) but he was the only player in the back four today who didn't give the ball away in a dangerous defensive position at least once.

Solly: almost got TBH sent off with a hospital ball
    TBH: out of position for first goal & panicked in possession straight after third goal which almost gave them a fourth but for Henderson
    Johnson: solely responsible for second goal
    Fox: ermm... maybe his crosses could be more accurate?

I'm not defending johnsons performance as he was poor throughout but I think buyens ball to him was just as hospital as Solly's to TBH.
  • as someone already said gomes has to start for his pace a long side Johnson to slow at the back with out him
  • I thought Buyens was quite good and helped us keep possession & move forward very tidily for the most part. He lost the ball attempting a through ball for the third goal and many seem to be judging him on that, which is a bit unfair imo.

Solly actually paused, fractionally, to avoid that pigeon, which was very decent of him I thought
  • Nadou said:

Buyers takes a good penalty but my heart is always in my mouth when he runs up to take it because I'm worried he'll pass it sideways.

The six best passes from Yoni all season have been the pens.
    Fantastic technique and De canio like abillity to send the keeper the wrong way.

• In a few games recently, Igor has almost got to a few crosses, but not quite. I think that this reinforces the fact that we need a target man still. I hope next season we have Igor, Watt and a good target man up front.
  • Looked every bit a game played by a team which realise they are mid table, and little to play for.
  • vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Aaarrgh! So sorry @HantsAddick . I really didn't make the connection. We badly need CL name badges so we know who the heck we're talking to when we do meet! Lovely to meet you too!
    A Charlton Life badge in the first place would be a start. Is there one ?
  • Third defeat v Blackburn this season, be pleased not to see them again.

Sounded from snippets a real step back from recent form. Look forward for views from those their.

punished our mistakes simple as that. thought we played ok in parts . igor headr or watts chance go in we win the game IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• didn't see the game .. a defeat against a side in blinding form, a highly motivated outfit buoyed by recent cup success, is ostensibly no disgrace at all .. what maters is how we performed .. was it back to the pre revolutionary bad old habits, or was it just that we were outdone by a much better team on the day ? .. I m in no position to comment on this .. opinions on here are divided as is usual
  • vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Having watched the 'highlights' at the end of the Championship. For the first goal the ball was going out, and there was no real need to touch it by Solly. Perhaps he was feeling not good and thought that the Blackburn player would beat him to it ? It was definitely not needed for Solly to pass the ball to the Blackburn player, who took a quick throw to Rhodes. On the reply, TBH and Johnson were no where near Rhodes. I would say that Johnson looked more responsible on the replay. Didn't realise Johnson was so slow. Throughout the game, no one appeared to be marking Rhodes.

Johnson was not helped by the high, quick and bouncy pass given to him by TBH for the second goal. Johnson should have done better and his rustiness, hopefully not lack of football brain was exposed.

For the third goal, the ball deflected off Buyens head and went to Rhodes and again no central defender was near him. Johnson looked responsible for the third. Throughout no one marked Rhodes effectively or got close enough to him. The central defender pairing of TBH and Johhnson didn't look good. For me Gomez would have been better as he has more pace. Whilst Johnson is not completely hopeless and every player makes mistakes. I am struggling to see that Johnson is a better defender than Morrisson though he may of course be way cheaper. Morrisson has gone and IMO the defence needs a bit pace and I would like to see Gomez play for that.
  • Watt on the highlights appeared unlucky with his chance at 1-2 that the ball bobbled when he was about to hit it. Maybe the groundsman can do something about that. It was that kind of day, when the breaks didn't fall Charlton's way. That is the way it is in football. Just glad that Charlton are nowhere near the foot of the table. I will be glad with a couple more victories so that the team is officially clear.

Planning for next season can officially then begin when safe and also get a head start in convincing season ticket holders that it is worth renewing.
  • didn't see the game .. a defeat against a side in blinding form, a highly motivated outfit buoyed by recent cup success, is ostensibly no disgrace at all .. what maters is how we performed .. was it back to the pre revolutionary bad old habits, or was it just that we were outdone by a much better team on the day ? .. I m in no position to comment on this .. opinions on here are divided as is usual

Not sure opinion is that divided. We certainly weren't pressing higher up the pitch as have done for last few games. There was a period in second half where we put some pressure and looked ok, but not spectacular. We were nowhere near as bad as Norwich game. Watt managed to beat a couple of players in the first 10 minutes, but they adjusted their defence to nullify him for most of the game. Igor was in one of his slow to react and failing to trap the ball with his first touch modes. In midfield, JC played well, but Buyens added little and passed the ball back to them more often than not. I thought both Gud and Bulot worked quite hard but weren't good enough to beat their defence who allowed them to run into the corners then hunted them down in packs..

I didn't think that Blackburn looked that great, but were efficient, physical, and organised. Although, once they had scored two goals, they didn't need to do much but make sure they were difficult to break down. The main difference between us was that our defence looked woeful at times, particularly in the first half and their defence was strong and well organised. Also, they took their chances and we didn't. We make a mistake and they punish us, they make a mistake and we miss. That is sometimes the way things go.

• edited March 2015
    purdis said:

ross1 said:

Ironically, ask supporters to pick the team for today, before 3pm and I guarantee most would have picked this team

Before the game my son couldn't understand why Ben Haim was starting instead of Gomez , as he thought we would be too slow and ponderous at the back , where as Johnson and Gomez could dovetail each other, he had a point , and said it probably wasn't fair on Joe Gomez , who if he had a bad game against Jordan Rhodes could have had the crowd getting on his back , so maybe that was why Guy went for experience, will GL change to this at the back on Tuesday, on a bog of a pitch, that won't allow for 'silky' skills?

• vff said:

Watt on the highlights appeared unlucky with his chance at 1-2 that the ball bobbled when he was about to hit it. Maybe the groundsman can do something about that. It was that kind of day, when the breaks didn't fall Charlton's way. That is the way it is in football. Just glad that Charlton are nowhere near the foot of the table. I will be glad with a couple more victories so that the team is officially clear.

Planning for next season can officially then begin when safe and also get a head start in convincing season ticket holders that it is worth renewing.

Your last point is really important.I hope the club understand that a lot of season ticket holders are waiting for a clear message before renewing.
    Half the first eleven yesterday are out of contract at the end of the season. Yesterday felt as if players and fans were lacking commitment.
  • purdis said:

ross1 said:

Ironically, ask supporters to pick the team for today, before 3pm and I guarantee most would have picked this team

Before the game my son couldn't understand why Ben Haim was starting instead of Gomez , as he thought we would be too slow and ponderous at the back , where as Johnson and Gomez could dovetail each other, he had a point , and said it probably wasn't fair on Joe Gomez , who if he had a bad game against Jordan Rhodes could have had the crowd getting on his back , so maybe that was why Guy went for experience, will GL change to this at the back on Tuesday, on a bog of a pitch, that won't allow for 'silky' skills?

Think it would be difficult for any Manager to leave out their best defender when he's back to fitness. A dilemma Guy had to deal with and we have to respect his decision.

Hopefully Joe will get more football as we near the season's end and Guy can experiment more.
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

We should have name badges shouldn't we? To be fair to you, I don't think I actually admitted to my CL name when we met.

• vffvff
    edited March 2015

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

We should have name badges shouldn't we? To be fair to you, I don't think I actually admitted to my CL name when we met.

Maybe you could buy name badges for the posters you like. Then you could actually part of a 'Hants Addick', 'Henry Brigade' or 'Colin 1961' brigade for example.