Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options
    Is it guess time?

i avoid any spoilers and so this complete guess is just that.

Jon Snow was well annoyed with Danyerys when she decided to burn the innocents and he wouldn’t have ever done it as king. Varys was right that unwittingly he decides where the power is.

Dany and Jon meet, he wins the dragon and then Anya pops up and kills them both. End the game of dragons and bring on the game of humans. 

Anya has to kill Sansa in order to get together with Tyrion and their offspring will rule the North and South united for centuries.

Ta
  • Options
    The one scene I did like was between Jamie and Tyrion.
  • Options
    Is it guess time?

i avoid any spoilers and so this complete guess is just that.

Jon Snow was well annoyed with Danyerys when she decided to burn the innocents and he wouldn’t have ever done it as king. Varys was right that unwittingly he decides where the power is.

Dany and Jon meet, he wins the dragon and then Anya pops up and kills them both. End the game of dragons and bring on the game of humans. 

Anya has to kill Sansa in order to get together with Tyrion and their offspring will rule the North and South united for centuries.

Ta
    I’ve been annoyed with some of the writing this season, but if they have a Derby country player kill Jon and Dany then marry Tyrion it’ll all be worth it ;)
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Missed It said:
    Jaime and Cersei's death felt so underwhelming to me, I've generally enjoyed the season unlike a lot of people but so much of this has been unnecessarily rushed.

The Varys storyline over a full season could have been really good but he's basically done nothing for 3 seasons, then has a huge part in an episode and 10 mins of the next where he's probably the best thing about it, then dies.

Definitely underwhelming.  So much for the prophecy that Cersei is choked to death by her little brother 

Which prophecy are you talking about?
    When Cersei was a kid she was told prophecies about how her kids would all die and how she would die.  I  get mixed up sometimes with what's in the books and what made it in to the TV show.  I went back and checked and the strangling one is just in the book.  Having said that, I still think death by bricks was a lame way to do her in
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I believe you've confused 'does not make sense in their arc' with 'not what I wanted to happen'. Either that or I'm concerned you don't actually understand the show you're watching. It's certainly been rushed this season, but everything that happened with Danaerys has been built up across the show from the start. She's constantly threatened to burn (and has burned) people around her. She's regularly been tempered by her advisors. But now she has lost everything, and she's decided to rule over the ashes rather than lose any more. Of course she's supposed to be the breaker of chains; but she isn't. That's the point. That's the entire point. She's been becoming more and more unhinged since arriving in Westeros, and all she's doing now is a larger-scale version of what she did in Essos, but now it's in Westeros it's so much worse to watch because the justification of killing slavers or pillaging rapists isn't there. Danaerys, alone, unloved and untethered makes the decision to reject her promise of breaking the wheel and becomes another spoke in it, just like her father before her. This is her character arc, it's what she's always been heading towards
    But why destroy King's Landing? It's the prize she (and her brother before her) have been after from the beginning. There has to be a better reason than 'she's gone mad.'

The Mad King was cruel and unhinged, but he only tried to destroy King's Landing when he'd lost control of it: if he couldn't have it, no one could. Daenerys destroys it at the very point she's won the city. All of that effort, planning and sacrifice, just to burn it all to the ground. It doesn't make sense. And D.B. Weiss's explanation is just plain weird:

"I don't think she decided ahead of time that she was going to do what she did. And then she sees the Red Keep, which is, to her, the home that her family built when they first came over to this country 300 years ago. It's in that moment, on the walls of King's Landing, when she's looking at that symbol of everything that was taken from her, when she makes the decision to make this personal."

So she's finally about to get back everything that was taken from her,  and that's the moment she decides to destroy it all? It doesn't make sense to me. Feels a bit like us walking through the gates of the Valley in December '92, and then deciding to torch the place!
  • Options
    Gillis said:

I believe you've confused 'does not make sense in their arc' with 'not what I wanted to happen'. Either that or I'm concerned you don't actually understand the show you're watching. It's certainly been rushed this season, but everything that happened with Danaerys has been built up across the show from the start. She's constantly threatened to burn (and has burned) people around her. She's regularly been tempered by her advisors. But now she has lost everything, and she's decided to rule over the ashes rather than lose any more. Of course she's supposed to be the breaker of chains; but she isn't. That's the point. That's the entire point. She's been becoming more and more unhinged since arriving in Westeros, and all she's doing now is a larger-scale version of what she did in Essos, but now it's in Westeros it's so much worse to watch because the justification of killing slavers or pillaging rapists isn't there. Danaerys, alone, unloved and untethered makes the decision to reject her promise of breaking the wheel and becomes another spoke in it, just like her father before her. This is her character arc, it's what she's always been heading towards
    But why destroy King's Landing? It's the prize she (and her brother before her) have been after from the beginning. There has to be a better reason than 'she's gone mad.'

The Mad King was cruel and unhinged, but he only tried to destroy King's Landing when he'd lost control of it: if he couldn't have it, no one could. Daenerys destroys it at the very point she's won the city. All of that effort, planning and sacrifice, just to burn it all to the ground. It doesn't make sense. And D.B. Weiss's explanation is just plain weird:

"I don't think she decided ahead of time that she was going to do what she did. And then she sees the Red Keep, which is, to her, the home that her family built when they first came over to this country 300 years ago. It's in that moment, on the walls of King's Landing, when she's looking at that symbol of everything that was taken from her, when she makes the decision to make this personal."

So she's finally about to get back everything that was taken from her,  and that's the moment she decides to destroy it all? It doesn't make sense to me. Feels a bit like us walking through the gates of the Valley in December '92, and then deciding to torch the place!
    Agree with you, entirely.
  • Options
    Visually that was stunning, emotionally the scenes with the commoners all dying etc was affecting and disturbing.  The Hound and The Mountain was really good.  And yet....

I just don't get the Daenerys thing.  I mean, I do, driven mad by the quest for power, she's always had harsher instincts etc, but there's such a big difference between burning her enemies etc and roasting thousands of innocent kids alive after you've already won.  It just felt pointless to me.  And odd.

And Cersei should have been choked to death by a valonqar, it's just daft to ignore that.
    Far from pointless, she said it herself, she has to rule by fear, if someone BBQd half of Kunming, I'd be pretty scared of em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Visually that was stunning, emotionally the scenes with the commoners all dying etc was affecting and disturbing.  The Hound and The Mountain was really good.  And yet....

I just don't get the Daenerys thing.  I mean, I do, driven mad by the quest for power, she's always had harsher instincts etc, but there's such a big difference between burning her enemies etc and roasting thousands of innocent kids alive after you've already won.  It just felt pointless to me.  And odd.

And Cersei should have been choked to death by a valonqar, it's just daft to ignore that.
    Far from pointless, she said it herself, she has to rule by fear, if someone BBQd half of Kunming, I'd be pretty scared of em.
    But ruling by fear is exactly what Cersei did. It's exactly what Dany said she was going to stop happening. Whether or not you agree that it makes sense for her character the speed at which she headed into crazy town in the last season is ridiculous.
    I can understand the character arc but it's been compressed down so much the execution has suffered big time.
    This. Whoever's made the decision to do the so last 2 seasons over 13 episodes needs to be shot. Game of Thrones was as it's best when it let things bubble away for a few episodes. It's now all so rushed.  
  • Options

And you wouldn't be scared of them when they won a huge battle in about 30 seconds.essentially just them and their dragon?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

But ruling by fear is exactly what Cersei did. It's exactly what Dany said she was going to stop happening. Whether or not you agree that it makes sense for her character the speed at which she headed into crazy town in the last season is ridiculous.
    I can understand the character arc but it's been compressed down so much the execution has suffered big time.
    Look back at previous seasons she has always handed out hard justice, killing all the masters, crucifying a load more, leaving her handmaid and her lover to starve to death in a vault, killing any that wouldn't bend the knee by dragon. The signs were there that she could be cruel if she didn't agree with your actions. 
    Also it isn't just the thirst for power that has driven her crazy it is grief, she has lost her husband, two of her dragons, her protector and her only female friend. It is a realistic outcome, if anything with dragons can be, it does feel a tad truncated though.
  • Options

And you wouldn't be scared of them when they won a huge battle in about 30 seconds.essentially just them and their dragon?
    Chinese dragons are pretty friendly I've heard. ;)
  • Options
    She has been heading to crazy town since the beginning though...

Series 1, didn't bat an eyelid when Viserys received his golden crown.
    Series 2, house of the undying, said something along the lines of burning cities to the ground.
    Series 4, killed over 100 slave masters for finding the slaves crucified.
    Series 4, kills another master with no proof of guilt in revenge for the death of Barristan Selmy.
    Series 6, kills all the Khals for taking her prisoner and makes the remaining Dothraki swear allegiance.
    Series 6, planned to burn the masters fleets, soliders and cities to the ground because Meereen was under attack. Tyrion talked her out of that one.
    Series 7, killed the Tarleys for not swearing allegiance.

What actions has she taken that suggest she'd rule by love and not fear apart from trying to free Slavers Bay? Her two biggest armies...One are basically sellswords and the other have been forced to fight for her.

Jon & Greyworm will fight to the death, Bran will sort the dragon out, Arya will kill Dany and rule the seven kingdoms just not sure who's face she'll be wearing after.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    There's no fucking character called Anya. FFS
  • Options
    Alwaysneil you have upset Dazzler21 with your lack of knowledge on such important matters. You need to be Anya bike before you upset him any further.  
  • Options
    Twitter having a meltdown that she’s gone mad. Feminists around the world are going ape shit, it’s made some funny reading.
    From what I remember of the books and granted I've skimmed through the last few but her Mad Queen thing is quite progressive throughout them, shes not quite the savior woman shes been made out to be in the show. 

This season hasn't been great but at the end of the day it's TV writers finishing another mans story, was never going to be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Enjoyed last nights episode, Dany's descent has been signposted, especially in this episode when she said "Well it's fear then" to Jon in Dragonstone, or whatever the phrase was. At that point it was clear what was going to happen, she'd given up on leading by love (Even though she'd not always toed the line on that) and had embraced fear and terror it seems. I feel people who are angry about it either haven't been paying full attention, or simply didn't want it. Plus I think people are just enjoying slagging off the show in general as it seems to be the cool thing to do at the minute. Don't get a lot of those precious likes and comments on FB saying "I really enjoyed this episode".

This whole season feels like it needed 2 extra episodes to fully flesh out story-lines. With 2 more episodes you could make Dany's character change seem more gradual and effective, and things like Varys' scheming and Jamie's decision to be with Cersei would be more understandable/realistic. 
  • Options
    Hate to say it but I think this was the worst episode of the season.
    Lots of far to obvious endings in a series that has thrown up lots of unexpected plots. I found it a real shame that they went down the obvious route on everything. We needed to be going "wow didn't see that happening" but we couldn't because we knew it all.
  • Options
    The reason it bugs me is that ultimately it writes her off as the last villain of the show so Jon gets to be king, despite never wanting to or ever actually showing any actual talent for leadership.
    The show started out as a deconstruction of the whole "chosen one" narrative but instead it's become just another example 
  • Options
    By the way is anyone expecting anything else or a final appearance from Bronn?

He's been around briefly for two episodes, with absolutely no serious meaning which looks to become even more pointless seeing one of the two people who was going to deliver him Highgarden is now dead and I reckon we'll see Tyrion going the same way

i.e. No sign of Jamie in the camp, no other possible explanation for his escape (seeing the Unsullied can tell Dany that Tyrion was the last to see him alive) nor will there be any quick evidence of the bodies of Jamie and Cersei so imagine for a while that Dany will think they've escaped
  • Options
    The one thing missing in this series is the banter----- The Hound ---- Bron ---- some great lines.

RIP The Hound 
  • Options
    I expect Bronn die... I can see no good end for him, but believe we will see his end.
  • Options

He's been around briefly for two episodes, with absolutely no serious meaning which looks to become even more pointless seeing one of the two people who was going to deliver him Highgarden is now dead and I reckon we'll see Tyrion going the same way

i.e. No sign of Jamie in the camp, no other possible explanation for his escape (seeing the Unsullied can tell Dany that Tyrion was the last to see him alive) nor will there be any quick evidence of the bodies of Jamie and Cersei so imagine for a while that Dany will think they've escaped
    Tyrion will defo be sentenced to death for releasing Jamie. I hope Bronn will then show up to be his champion and agree to take Casterly Rock as payment for the win. Tyrion to remain as hand of the king for whoever takes the throne. Or not and he'll die & Bronn will disappear.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Tyrion will defo be sentenced to death for releasing Jamie. I hope Bronn will then show up to be his champion and agree to take Casterly Rock as payment for the win. Tyrion to remain as hand of the king for whoever takes the throne. Or not and he'll die & Bronn will disappear.
    Tyrion is the only one I truly want to see survive

Peter Dinklage has been the standout actor of the whole series for me (Really nice scene yesterday with him and Jamie) and desperately want him to have a happy ending

Dont see Bronn acting as a Champion again (after refusing to fight the Mountain on Tyrion's behalf) - Imagine if he gets someone to fight for him though it'll be against Greyworm?