Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Playoffs

Can we make it?
16 points off with 11 games to play.
Looks impossible but all our remaining games look winnable.
Toughest fixture left is Bournemouth last game.

Cardiff v Charlton Sat 7 Mar 15:00
Charlton v Blackburn Sat 14 Mar 15:00
Blackpool v Charlton Tue 17 Mar 19:45
Charlton v Reading Sat 21 Mar 15:00
Millwall v Charlton Fri 3 Apr 15:00
Charlton v Fulham Tue 7 Apr 19:45
Sheff Wed v Charlton Sat 11 Apr 15:00
Bolton v Charlton Tue 14 Apr 20:00
Charlton v Leeds Sat 18 Apr 15:00
Birmingham v Charlton Sat 25 Apr 15:00
Charlton v Bournemouth Sat 2 May 12:15

Comments

• leave off

Reading did it.
  • Would love to think so, but it is just too many points to make up. It is perfectly possible that all the current top six will win six more games anyway.

But it is still important to have a good run in - build confidence and momentum and it will make it easier to sign players in the Summer if they feel that they are coming to a club that is going places.
  • Cardiff v Charlton... Win
    Charlton v Blackburn... Draw
    Blackpool v Charlton... Win
    Charlton v Reading... Win
    Millwall v Charlton... Win
    Charlton v Fulham... Draw
    Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton... Draw
    Bolton v Charlton... Lose
    Charlton v Leeds... Win
    Birmingham v Charlton... Draw
    Charlton v Bournemouth... Lose / Draw (Depending whats at stake for Bournemouth)

Gives us a maximum of 20 points so we'd have to rely on the 6-teams above us to seriously fuck up
  • Its good to dream....
  • Not even giving it non serious thought. Not a chance. Keep this squad intact over the summer with two or three astute additions and we might have a decent run at playoffs next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• No thank you.

The Weds board have said they would prefer to consolidate rather than a quick, up, grab the money for a season then back down. Sustainability.
  • If we win every game we would still need every team above us to pick up less than half the points available.

Next year.....
  • On another note this must be the least open the Championship has been in years... Usually the top 12 all stand a chance of promotion whilst the bottom 14 also stand a chance of relegation.

This season its the top seven that can only realistically be part of the Play-Offs whilst 14th down to the relegation zone are the only ones really at risk
  • edited March 2015

Gives us a maximum of 20 points so we'd have to rely on the 6-teams above us to seriously fuck up

Usually at least one of them does, though.
    Many of those teams will still have to play each other - they can't both win, so points will be dropped.

It's a big ask for us, probably unrealistic but not totally out of reach.
    But then it's not entirely in our own hands.

Best thing, is to take 1 game at a time, and enjoy our football, without self-imposed pressure.
    And see how things unfold.

• Talal said:

Sod the playoffs lets aim for automatic.

I like your thinking. COYR's.
  • I think you have to look at what the likely target is rather than how many points we are behind. I reckon it will be 72 to 75 points which means we have to win 9 or possibly 10 out of 11. The positive is that we now have a potent attack so winning games is easier. The negative is that every game is tough in this league and keeping the players sufficiently fit and injury free will be difficult. For that reason the odds on it happening are small, but it is not impossible. Blackburn have more points than us for example but they have less chance, because they are not going to win every week. We are more likely too but Saturday is going to be very tough for instance! If we win the next four, people will start getting interested, so maybe we should just focus on winning each game and see where that approach gets us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't stop believing otherwise we might as well pack up and go on holiday now ...
  • I would love a top ten finish and based on where we were five games ago I was dreaming of a 4th from bottom finish, to be honest.

A good run, some entertaining games at The Valley between not and May and not too much damage to season ticket numbers for next season and I think we have to label this season as a huge success.
  • don't be silly
  • No chance. Given the mid season melt down, a top 10 finish would be a fantastic achievement.

Imagine if RD had pulled the trigger at the first sign of player unrest and Henderson had stayed fit.......
  • Lets just aim to beat 9th, our highest finish in this Championship spell.
  • We'd need a complete fuck up from the teams above us but anything could happen. I can see us getting close