Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    I thought it was a brilliant performance. To win 3 nil against anyone in this league let alone a team who have been in the top 6 all season is a great result.

Everyone worked hard, having Henderson back and Johnson at the back helped everyone, plus Watt and Igor gave them a torrid time. We also started the game very well, we pressed them and the first 30 minutes I rarely recall the ball being in our half.

Due to that good start we didn't allow them into the game and they had little ideas on how to break us down.

Great result and hopefully we can build on this now.
  • Options
    Just had Indian her indoors with box of chocolates and me with
    a big grin forgot what a Saturday win was
  • Options

I started my post match views on Tuesday with "shite, complete and utter shite" ... well, today - "brilliant, completely and utterly brilliant".

It's hard to believe that I just went to watch the same football club play that I did on Tuesday night!

I was happy with the team selection apart from perhaps Bulot for Harriott. Shows what I know because Bulot was absolutely outstanding from start to finish. Some great work from him for the opening goal down the left. He took is goal very well, not easy at that angle with that much time. Roasted their right back a few times and was busting a gut to help out defensively - can't ask for more!

Watt - wow, what a player. He deserved a goal today and was only denied by a great Button save. Proper hero stuff at the end when he made their defender look ridiculously stupid by the corner flag. Sometimes a player just clicks with a new club and I think he is one of those players, he's already developing a relationship with the fans as you could see by the chanting after the final whistle.

Vetokele back to what he does best ... Goals! Two in two now and ten for the season, hopefully that's him back on form for the run in then!

Simple game football isn't it! Two genuine wide players, two strikers and everybody in their correct positions. Attacking, purposeful and direct football. We broke with pace and looked incredibly dangerous when we did with JBG, Watt, Vetokele and Bulot all comfortable with the ball at their feet. This is a dangerous front line - goals goals goals.

Good to see Cousins back in the centre. A few misplaced passes but nothing disastrous, his engine in midfield was vital ... he seemed to be everywhere. Buyens was better than recently. Can't stand the way he left the pitch though, but I'm too happy to care too much I suppose.

Solly was very good. That tackle in the left back area in the second half - brave guy. Absolutely munched whoever it was!

Very good debut from Johnson, a proper, genuine centre half. Leading and shouting the whole game, different class to what we saw from Bikey on Tuesday. Johnson seems to have a lot of passion, a real tryer with a will to win - he was properly pumped up at the final whistle. Ben Haim was very good aswell with A good performance from Fox as well.

Brentford were dire but don't let you fool you that this wasn't a great performance.

Fans were brilliant, were behind the team right from minute one. We outsung as well as out played Brentford.

Let's hope the injuries to Jackson and Wiggins aren't too bad.

Well done to Guy Luzon as well. A good (if not obvious!) team selection, and the sub near the end of Wilson for Vetokele was at a perfect time. We needed an extra body in the tiring midfield.

I've said a couple of times that something needs to happen soon to turn this around - well this is that moment. We're going to be fine.

Problems not sorted at The Valley so I'm not going to let it paint over any cracks but this is a big day in the context of the season IMO.

Get in, COYR!

Saves me posting cos it's exactly what I'd have said. Only to add that Fox gave me the heebeegeebees every time the ball went near him but otherwise a much bette day at the office. Shame Luzon and Buyens disappeared down the tunnel without so much as a glance to the fans but there y'go. We know all is not well under the surface but it reminded me that I still have a team to support.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

Get the f in

Great photo and the joy on the kids face!
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Makes you wonder if someone's been reading the forum:

Play 2 up front..........................check
    Drop Bikey................................check
    Drop Buyens..............................check
    Play Cousins in the middle.........check

Exactly what I thought, who says the fans can't pick the team.

Joking aside best we have played in many a month, fight, skill, pace and two forwards who look likely to score, at bloody last.
  • Options
    Big slice of humble pie for me today,said that we lacked team spirit and Brentford had it in abundance and so didnt expect anything else than another loss. SO GLAD I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG!!!
    That performance was not only great technically and physically but it really showed the spirit of the players;what a performance;had tears in my eyes at the final whistle and my voice had gone completely from cheering on the lads on the pitch.
    Sometimes you dont realise how strong you really are until strenght is your only option. Thank you to everyone on that pitch today wearing a Red shirt9and Hendersons green one aswell!!]
    Still a long way to go yet but at least we can start to believe again,COYA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nam11 Get the f in

Plod looks well pleased

• Options
    Brilliant performance, made me proud to support this football club again. They all gave 100% and the fans were top class. We didn't stop singing all game. Fantastic to win like that again.
  • Options
    Great performance today. Shown what we are more than capable of. I think we can kick on pull away from the wrong end of the league least make things a bit comfortable.

But I think if Brentford sack Mark Warburton, I think it would be a disgrace. He has had them punching above their weight this season and deserves so muc credit.
  • Options
    Good to see us play two up front at home. a great team performance with Watt as mom.
    Can't under why we bring everyone back when defending corners, noticed that Brentford kept two or three up when defending corners forcing us to keep at least three back.
  • Options
    Great result but another pony ref. Blew up after their throw 10 yards from goalline and insisted they took it nearer the halfway line. What part of the FA rulebook is that? Gave us little apart from obvious, and Bees got fks thet didn't even appeal for.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Could someone ask Luzon to acknowledge the supporters at the end of the game especally in the in the North Stand,I know its a minor point but would help to get them on his side.

Why 'especially the North Stand'? Apart from that I agree with your point.
  • Options
    Best performance of the season at the most important of times. 4 points from the next two is a real possibility on that perfromance. Them players really can be a class act at times which makes this season all the more frustrating. Gonna enjoy tonight though.
  • Options

Great result but another pony ref. Blew up after their throw 10 yards from goalline and insisted they took it nearer the halfway line. What part of the FA rulebook is that? Gave us little apart from obvious, and Bees got fks thet didn't even appeal for.

And where did 4 mins of second half injury time come from? had 4 mins first half because of injuries but that meant that the usual "30 secs per sub" didn't apply, especially as Brentford made a double sub.

Put the 4th official in charge of time, synch his watch to the stadium clock, and show us what's going on. We pay for it, after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Truly astounded. Did we really only have 35% possession?

I noticed that on the BBC sport page, plus Brentfords 17 shots at goal to our 9 (although we won 7-4 with shots on target). But suprised with the possession, as I was listening to it on the radio & Matt Holland was constantly saying how it was all Charlton......
  • Options

Well if we had a catchment area, then they'd be dancing in their streets.

Huge win today, thank god. I think most of us when we say the line up thought this was going to be our best chqnce to turn it round.

Oggy Red and the superstitious amongst us will tell you though this had little to do with Luzon and everything to do with Mrs AFKA attending!

Look forward to your views

Also Marie my girlfriend who has never seen us lose live. She was there and her record goes on. :-)

• Options
    Great win, it's all been said really, but I'd like to have my say about Fox, who, I thought had his best game for us. If he did anything wrong I didn't notice it, he started the move for the first goal and why anyone should dig him out or mark him down purely on today's performance is beyond me.
  • Options
    Sometimes it takes a stroke of genius to turn things around. Fancy putting an out-and-out left winger in central midfield :-)

On Tuesday, I felt there was at least one positive: Igor and Watt had ended their drought. And it really showed today - both a constant menace, and seemingly enjoying playing together . And Bulot clearly caught the vibe.

JJs words must have helped, but I also felt that Watt's words in the programme were very encouraging. Enjoying life, getting to know his new teammates, the kind of lift a despondent dressing room can use

It's only 1 win, but we've got grounds for hope again...
  • Options
    I would like to take some credit for today. After weeks of watching poor performances I was not at the game today. Girly weekend with afternoon tea at fan museum!
  • Options
    Southbank said:

cafctom said:

I would go as far as saying that the Johnnie Jackson statement before the game had a huge knock on effect to the result. The atmosphere around the place was rocking in response to his call for support - and the impact it had on the team was clear for all to see.

Tony Watt is so exciting to watch. Not enough British strikers out there who can dribble as well as hold the ball up.

Watt said on the radio that Jackson has been stirring the players up. We owe JJ a lot, he did the same after Powell left a year ago.

@Taxi_lad and that is why he got a 9 from me, rightly or wrongly I marked him up for what he got the players to do. This was added to his footballing performance including, as mentioned a Rufusesque tackle in the first five minutes that showed the players intent.