Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Henderson

Comments

• To be fair, many people on here thought Pope was ready to be No 1 this season, and I'm sure everyone expected him to seamlessly take over in Henderson's absence. I assume the signing of Etheridge was purely as backup for Pope rather than someone to take his place in the team after Pope was dropped.
  • Don't get too excited. Roland is on the phone to Luzon as we speak telling him to drop Henderson as he needs Dmitrovic in the shop window so he can get a good price for him when he is sold.

I may not be joking.
  • edited February 2015
    Remember Hamer's header in last min against Palace which was cleared off the line, But when was the last time before Henderson on Saturday that a keeper for Cafc had an assist ?
  • edited February 2015

To be fair, many people on here thought Pope was ready to be No 1 this season, and I'm sure everyone expected him to seamlessly take over in Henderson's absence. I assume the signing of Etheridge was purely as backup for Pope rather than someone to take his place in the team after Pope was dropped.

I and I assume most fair minded people, were more than happy to give Pope a try, as you'll never know, when the youngsters are ready, unless you try them.

However, Pope played earlier in the season, when Henderson was injured, (do you remember him letting the ball through his legs against Derby) ?
    In my opinion he was lacking confidence and was not ready to step in again.

Henderson got injured again and at that point, we should have brought in an adequate replacement, someone that was nearly as good, somewhat like the Hamer/Alnwick comparison.

We did not and consequently have been playing without an adequate keeper since November 8th. Totally unneccessary, when you consiider we wasted £750K on Polish Pete for instance. Sheer incompetetence.
  • To be fair, many people on here thought Pope was ready to be No 1 this season, and I'm sure everyone expected him to seamlessly take over in Henderson's absence. I assume the signing of Etheridge was purely as backup for Pope rather than someone to take his place in the team after Pope was dropped.

I and I assume most fair minded people, were more than happy to give Pope a try, as you'll never know, when the youngsters are ready, unless you try them.

However, Pope played earlier in the season, when Henderson was injured, (do you remember him letting the ball through his legs against Derby) ?

Henderson got injured again and at that point, we should have brought in an adequate replacement, someone that was nearly as good, somewhat like the Hamer/Alnwick comparison.

We did not and consequently have been playing without an adequate keeper since November 8th. Totally unneccessary, when you consiider we wasted £750K on Polish Pete for instance. Sheer incompetetence.
    Look on the bright side, we could have had the the clown back for a second coming.
  • Remember Hamer's header in last min against Palace which was cleared off the line, But when was the last time before Henderson on Saturday that a keeper for Cafc had an assist ?

I remember Hamer hitting one up to BWP against Exeter at The Valley in our L1 winning season. Wouldn't be surprised if he'd had another one after that though
  • RedChaser said:

To be fair, many people on here thought Pope was ready to be No 1 this season, and I'm sure everyone expected him to seamlessly take over in Henderson's absence. I assume the signing of Etheridge was purely as backup for Pope rather than someone to take his place in the team after Pope was dropped.

Look on the bright side, we could have had the the clown back for a second coming.
    The "clown" was in the SL first team when I looked quite recently!
  • edited February 2015
    LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

The "clown" was in the SL first team when I looked quite recently!
    It never rains but pours for those poor SL fans, not only have all their decent players been sold but Thuram is now No1 choice in goal. Not surprising really as RD picks the team, still he's entertaining, I'll give you that Len.
  • His return means that we are 100% stronger .. his injury caused the start of our collapse in form and confidence ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Lost 3 out of 19 with him
    Lost 7 out of 15 without him
    Making a big difference in my opinion

An absolute massive difference. We didn't win a game for the 3 months he was out & won on his first game back.
  • That save at 2-0 completely knocked the stuffing out of Huddersfield and understandably so.

What a save it was too! Great save at a crucial time. Huge moment and what a difference having him back in the team makes!
  • That save at 2-0 completely knocked the stuffing out of Huddersfield and understandably so.

Most definitely,fantastic save,if they had scored there it would've been squeaky bum time!
  • Couldn't agree more MLC - it was a fantastic save.

Talking of great saves though, how good was Smithies' save against Wilson?! Fair play to him, brilliant stop.
  • In my opinion a considerabley better keeper than Hamer!! Best I've seen in a Charlton shirt bar Kiely..... and I think Henderson has more of anot all round game than Deano!

Agree, made a massive difference
  • Couldn't agree more MLC - it was a fantastic save.

Talking of great saves though, how good was Smithies' save against Wilson?! Fair play to him, brilliant stop.

That was very good
  • Disappointed the FLS didn't show the save. Was looking forward to seeing it again. Any videos of it anywhere?
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion a considerabley better keeper than Hamer!! Best I've seen in a Charlton shirt bar Kiely..... and I think Henderson has more of anot all round game than Deano!

Henderson's save at 2-0 killed off Hudds. I wouldn't go as far to say he's better than Hamer at this point. His kicking was a bit like Kiely's today though
  • Better than Peter Schmeichel
  • Prefer Henderson to Hamer - seems a much calmer character. Defence has to be more confident with him in goal.
    If he wasn't so injury prone he'd have to be up there in the Prem.
  • That save was one of those moments where you find yourself out of your seat, applauding.
  • He is clearly a better goalkeeper than Hamer ability wise its just keeping him fit thats the problem.
  • It's no coincidence that our form has picked up since his return.

Against Hudds, he made a save at 2-0 that was above Premiership standard, and another in the last 10 minutes that was top quality Championship standard.
  • Goalkeeper is THE most important position in football .. we've found a real good 'un in Stephen Henderson

Henderson's save at 2-0 killed off Hudds. I wouldn't go as far to say he's better than Hamer at this point. His kicking was a bit like Kiely's today though
    It was the wind. Same thing was happening to Smithies. Probably something they ate.
  • edited March 2015
    Not sure which one it was (Peter Finch or the other fella) but I was listening to a Charlton live podcast from 3 weeks ago and one of them made the comment that when Henderson is fit again in there opinion they would not put him straight back into the team as Marko Dmitrovic was doing ok. Was on a packed train the time of hearing the comment (listening on my ipod) and just burst out laughing. I know football is all about opinions but please........Hendo was a massive miss to the team during that dreadful run.
  • Lost 3 out of 19 with him
    Lost 7 out of 15 without him
    Making a big difference in my opinion

An absolute massive difference. We didn't win a game for the 3 months he was out & won on his first game back.
    indeed.

TBH and Bikey looked increasingly shonky the more games they played without him. If you are constantly worrying about whats behind you as well as whats coming at you as a defender its too much and that showed when Hendo wasnt there.

Hendo is a class act. I would think he would cope a league above us. Hopefully he wouldnt be tempted by a ridiculous offer to be a prem 2nd or 3rd choice. Reckon he is more intelligent than that.