Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell tenure to date

Comments

• "Chris is too good for you"

I hope you're not aiming that as Huddersfield as a club. We don't watch them every week and one fan doesn't represent a whole club. The same criticism from some Hudds fans are echos of our own when he was here, so perhaps CP needs to change his approach to some games.
  • You're on a wind up!! Just remember, it's Huddersfield. Your position is probably a fair reflection on your squad, financial affairs etc.

Maybe the delusional "we're a big club" ideology has rubbed off on you, via your Leeds supporting mates
  • so you win midweek, lose to us and suddenly he is the worst manager ever again

let me draw you back to this thread YOU created eating humble pie @LeedsbasedTownfan

This is just the sort of post you are complaining about other people making in other threads!
    No its completely different

1:the other thread in question a certain someone only writes on there when we have won the cause arguments with other Charlton fans

2:LBTF was moaning about Powell when he took over, then a month ago fair play to him ate humble pie and apologised saying Powell is not that bad, then they lose to us. He goes on another teams forum(not his own) to slag the manager off again
  • rikofold said:

Hope it was exciting enough for you you deluded fool

You aren't clever enough to to get the irony of your post are you?. That dross is what we get served up on a regular basis. We are where we are in the league inspite of Powell, not because of him.

We had our lowest ever Championship attendance at home midweek which tells its own story, that trend will continue whilst this Man is at the helm.

At least Powell got a result and sure he enjoyed his Saturday night. Never mind the 2100 that went down to London to watch that garbage.

You are Nick Gray and I claim my £10...
    It does read very similar doesn't it?
  • So when you win 3-0 it's nothing to do with him but when you lose its all his fault

If this Man and his assistant didn't ever turn up at the training ground, we would have the same mixed bag of results. The ground cleaner could get a team on the pitch and by default they would win some, lose some. A good Manager and coaching Team would put a Team on the pitch that is more consistent and importantly play a way that entertains the fans.

As I said, lowest ever attendance at Championship level, a level we have played at for a lot of years over two spells tells its own story, the fans are voting with their feet and hopefully our Chairman will realise this before it's too late.

LOL
    Maybe they should have offered you the job. No doubt you would be well clear at the top of the table.
    @deludedtownfan.
  • edited March 2015
    Just to remind you that he won us promotion in his first full season using the money made from one player to get nearly a new team in, then got us up to 9th with not much money the season after backed by an owner who didn't want to spend any more cash. I am sure, given the time and support he deserves with a chairman who has put his faith in Powell, you will get to see his full potential as a manager, as would we have seen at Charlton were it for different circumstances. You were beaten by a team who have hit some form playing some attractive football with players coming back from long term injury or long term loss of confidence!! Believe me it was not all gravy a few weeks ago.
  • 1StevieG said:

Just to remind you that he won us promotion in his first full season using the money made from one player to get nearly a new team in, then got us up to 9th with not much money the season after backed by an owner who didn't want to spend any more cash. I am sure, given the tem and support he deserves with a chairman who has put his faith in Powell, you will get to see his full potential as a manager, as would we have seen at Charlton were it for different circumstances. You were beaten by a team who have hit some form playing some attractive football with players coming back from long term injury or long term loss of confidence!! Believe me it was not all gravy a few weeks ago.

He didn't get a nearly new team in, he got a whole new team in. Which makes his first full season even more remarkable. Having said that, I thought Huddersfield played exactly the same way we played under Powell's reign (Long ball from the back up to a lone striker)
  • so you win midweek, lose to us and suddenly he is the worst manager ever again

let me draw you back to this thread YOU created eating humble pie @LeedsbasedTownfan

This is just the sort of post you are complaining about other people making in other threads!

1:the other thread in question a certain someone only writes on there when we have won the cause arguments with other Charlton fans

2:LBTF was moaning about Powell when he took over, then a month ago fair play to him ate humble pie and apologised saying Powell is not that bad, then they lose to us. He goes on another teams forum(not his own) to slag the manager off again
    No it isn't completely different.
    It is bumping a gloat, something you claimed to hate.
    Double standards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hope it was exciting enough for you you deluded fool

...Never mind the 2100 that went down to London to watch that garbage.
    Did you go LBTF? I ask because I genuinely don't believe that your lot were that bad yesterday. You just happened to play a team that was absolutely on fire! :smiley:
  • As much as I love the guy as a man and a manager, Powell always struggled more when his team went behind than when they/we were ahead. He's naturally defensive-minded, understandably given he is a born defender on the pitch and a lot of his philosophy was inspired by our own Alan Curbishley. Get one goal, defend the lead and nick a second on the counter seemed to be his favourite tactic and he did it very well indeed, no doubt about it.

But if we went behind he didn't always have some sort of plan B to change things around - more than once we'd be a goal behind and it would be a defender bought on as a substitute, for whatever reason. Yesterday he was perhaps unlucky in that he had to commit to attack and a counter was always possible, but as soon as the second goal went in it felt to me like that was game over, not a chance of them coming back, they were resorting to shoot on sight, ranging shots and hopeful long balls/crosses.

I think LBTF is vastly overestimating exactly how good the team/players Powell is working with actually are, but let's not pretend CP didn't/doesn't have some flaws in his style.
  • Stig said:

Hope it was exciting enough for you you deluded fool

...Never mind the 2100 that went down to London to watch that garbage.
    Did you go LBTF? I ask because I genuinely don't believe that your lot were that bad yesterday. You just happened to play a team that was absolutely on fire! :smiley:
    Oh trust me, I endured that, well if I am being honest I walked out on 71 minutes when the 3rd went in. I wanted to go after the 2nd but the Lads I was with (wrongly) persuaded me to stay. Borough Market could and should have been enjoyed much earlier.

You make a decent point, perhaps you did play well and actually we weren't as bad as some of Powell's ongoing dross. Trust me, there has been worse.

Anyway, Brentford away next, a Team who play football the way us Town fans can only dream of, proper football and a proper football Manager. Oh to have Warburton and not Powell as our Manager, dream land.........

Double standards.
    I never bumped a gloat because I made no comment, LBTF made this thread to admit he was wrong about Powell, then after 1 defeat to us he wrote in 2/3 other threads that powell was the worst manager(non league standard at best)

so I was bringing this thread to his attention, as in you judged him to quick before.

its completely different to trying to cause arguments with your own fans

Double standards.
    I never bumped a gloat because I made no comment, LBTF made this thread to admit he was wrong about Powell, then after 1 defeat to us he wrote in 2/3 other threads that powell was the worst manager(non league standard at best)

so I was bringing this thread to his attention, as in you judged him to quick before.

I am being misrepresented here. I have accepted that Powell's brand of crap football has got us points. Where in this thread or any thread have I said anything other than the football he is serving up is utter tosh, dire?. I have been consistent around this point and accepted I was wrong in that he has got us some points and probably met the criteria of our deluded board, at the expense of enjoying any of it. Entertainment?, hell no, that has not got anything to do with attending football matches anymore, well, certainly not at our Club anyway. Some of the worst football I have ever had the displeasure to see.

Double standards.

I am being misrepresented here. I have accepted that Powell's brand of crap football has got us points. Where in this thread or any thread have I said anything other than the football he is serving up is utter tosh, dire?. I have been consistent around this point and accepted I was wrong in that he has got us some points and probably met the criteria of our deluded board, at the expense of enjoying any of it. Entertainment?, hell no, that has not got anything to do with attending football matches anymore, well, certainly not at our Club anyway. Some of the worst football I have ever had the displeasure to see.
    My point was when you started this thread you exact words were, First of all, I will hold my hands up and say I was somewhat harsh on Mr Powell on him first joining. Humble pie is sometimes required and I will accept my slice.

and now you lose to us you are saying he is non league standard again, firstly before you judge him how much money did he get from the board to improve a poor squad in January, I believe he was hired after the summer window so has to have the players your old manager had and failed with.

give him this summer with some investment and see what he can achieve
  • Huddersfield have got some very good attacking players. It's sounds to me like CP doesn't need investment, he needs to change his style to suit the players he has.

Double standards.

My point was when you started this thread you exact words were, First of all, I will hold my hands up and say I was somewhat harsh on Mr Powell on him first joining. Humble pie is sometimes required and I will accept my slice.

and now you lose to us you are saying he is non league standard again, firstly before you judge him how much money did he get from the board to improve a poor squad in January, I believe he was hired after the summer window so has to have the players your old manager had and failed with.

Fair point Paulie, fair point, or it would be if I honestly thought this Clown had any managerial ability.

Let's give him a transfer budget (God help us) to bring in defensive minded Players and go with a flat back 10.

As previously stated, I am one fan with one set of opinions. Record low Championship attendances though is a powerful statement of what is going on at our Club. Forget my opinions, what better way to assess than People not choosing to come through the door?.

A shocking appointment but yes, you are right that he needs to have a close season and budget. I can't wait for the outcome.........

• Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

You were in free fall and going down. Now your not.

Get on your knees you ungrateful sod. If you don't want to watch, don't go. Give him the summer and some money and then judge.

You were not actually that bad and had a couple of good chances and attacked down the wings well. The fact is that you came up against a better team on the day, and with a far better strike force.

However, would you mind having your grizzel on your own site or in a pub with your mates and not have a wee on our great weekend? Much obliged and good luck for the rest of the season and thanks for beating the scum.

Fair enough, thanks and good luck yourselves for the rest of the season.

• The football you were playing before was leading you in one direction: down. Powell's football has kept you up. Suck it up. You aren't entitled to super Barcelona passing football, Huddersfield are definitely not too big to go back down and you won't ever stay up just because you play 'nice' football, it will take a grind and some dour but effective safety first football - Powell's specialty. Powell will do a job, he'll keep you safe and without many frills. If you don't like it... that's for you to deal with
  • First of all, I will hold my hands up and say I was somewhat harsh on Mr Powell on him first joining. Humble pie is sometimes required and I will accept my slice. As a usually balanced poster, I wish to try and do just that now he has settled in.

So what has he brought?:

Players when interviewed all say how much they like him and enjoy playing and being managed under him. The performances on the pitch have often contradicted this. He is though it would appear extremely popular.

Great with the media, a given.

Team selection wise, has his favourites (as do all Managers), and has Players that he has not given a chance to despite claiming it was a clean sheet when he joined the Club.

Tactics; negative, negative, negative. To be fair though, has got some good results along the way. Substitutions; even more negative.

Results; got some good points on the board here and there and dug us out of a hole (a hole we should never have been in with the quality of Players we had)

Transfer market: early days, however the trend is quality, flair, attacking minded players leaving and solid, steady dependable ones joining

Entertainment; some of the most boring football I have ever seen and our ground which has often struggled for home atmosphere is lifeless at home matches

In summary; brought in to do a job and is I would say on plan to meet the board selection criteria which was to climb the table and maintain Championship football. A steady appointment I guess, just watch x-factor if you want to be entertained

Now some of the above may sound familiar to some of you and some may not.

See you at the Valley for the 'love-in' oh and sure on two fronts you will want us to get a result today.........

Cheers.

The X factor or Fix factor is not entertaining anymore.
  • As above, can I just further highlight the point that the individual considers the xfactor to be entertaining.

By that standard, football opinions on what's entertaining and what's not, should be brushed aside.

Double standards.

Fair point Paulie, fair point, or it would be if I honestly thought this Clown had any managerial ability.

Let's give him a transfer budget (God help us) to bring in defensive minded Players and go with a flat back 10.

As previously stated, I am one fan with one set of opinions. Record low Championship attendances though is a powerful statement of what is going on at our Club. Forget my opinions, what better way to assess than People not choosing to come through the door?.

A shocking appointment but yes, you are right that he needs to have a close season and budget. I can't wait for the outcome.........

he knows who to buy trust us, we was not looking like getting out of league 1, he came in fr the 2nd half of the season and saw what we needed(a whole knew squad)
    who did he bring in

Ben Hamer- quality for league 1 and champ
    Matt Taylor-strong and solid CB
    Michael Morrison- same as Taylor
    Leon Cort-came in January and as the other 2 CB'S on here was solid
    Danny Green- Definitely quality for league 1
    Bradley Pritchard- Could play RM or CM and put effort in
    Danny Hollands- Strong CM and he a good range of passing
    Dale Stephens- never afraid to put a challenge in and could pick out a great ball
    Andrew Hughes- could always be relied on
    Jason Euell- coming to the end of his career but was good experience and knew the club well
    Yann Kermorgant- nothing needs to be said
    Danny Haynes- again a Jan signing but was able to provide a few goals, despite his injury problems

If I was you I would have no fear that given a respectable amount of money and the ability to bring in who he wants that he will make the right signings
  • Just want to butt in and say I am a HuddersfieldbasedCharltonfan. Just got home from living in up after yesterday's match. Come back to gloat all week.
    Many of my Town friends can't be happier with SCP. They recognise the improvement.
    I've been to the Canalside training complex a few times as my son did some sessions with the academy. Had a conversation with Mark Lillis there who said that Chris and Alex were making a big impact and he'd already been 'adopted' as a Yorkshireman. I asked what he thought he was best at thinking he'd say man management or something general like that. He said he'd been impressed with the quality of the training sessions and how well he communicated his ideas. So that was coming from a Town stalwart who made a strong bid for the post.

Has he bought a whippet and flat cap?
  • Just want to butt in and say I am a HuddersfieldbasedCharltonfan. Just got home from living in up after yesterday's match. Come back to gloat all week.
    Many of my Town friends can't be happier with SCP. They recognise the improvement.
    I've been to the Canalside training complex a few times as my son did some sessions with the academy. Had a conversation with Mark Lillis there who said that Chris and Alex were making a big impact and he'd already been 'adopted' as a Yorkshireman. I asked what he thought he was best at thinking he'd say man management or something general like that. He said he'd been impressed with the quality of the training sessions and how well he communicated his ideas. So that was coming from a Town stalwart who made a strong bid for the post.

Has he bought a whippet and flat cap?
    Hahaha!
    Actually his flat cap does not go unnoticed.
    Was probably referring to keeping wallet well hidden when his round!
  • I'd like to add I didn't think Huddersfield were that bad, TBH. First half was pretty even, the big difference being JBG's free kick. I thought we were on fire in the 2nd half, and it was Huddersfield's bad luck to be playing us now not a month ago (when there really would have been some dire football). Beating a decent mid-table side like Huddersfield has made me believe that I'm not going to wake up and find it has all been a dream....

So, criticisms can be made of CP, he can be cautious and defensive and slow to make subs. I don't think he did that yesterday. I think with backing he'll do well, and I get the feeling he'll get it at HTFC, which seems to be a well-run, community-oriented club with generally realistic expectations (sound familiar?).

Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Never liked Huddersfield always seemed like a shit Sheffield when you went out for a beer after the match