Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell tenure to date

First of all, I will hold my hands up and say I was somewhat harsh on Mr Powell on him first joining. Humble pie is sometimes required and I will accept my slice. As a usually balanced poster, I wish to try and do just that now he has settled in.

So what has he brought?:

Players when interviewed all say how much they like him and enjoy playing and being managed under him. The performances on the pitch have often contradicted this. He is though it would appear extremely popular.

Great with the media, a given.

Team selection wise, has his favourites (as do all Managers), and has Players that he has not given a chance to despite claiming it was a clean sheet when he joined the Club.

Tactics; negative, negative, negative. To be fair though, has got some good results along the way. Substitutions; even more negative.

Results; got some good points on the board here and there and dug us out of a hole (a hole we should never have been in with the quality of Players we had)

Transfer market: early days, however the trend is quality, flair, attacking minded players leaving and solid, steady dependable ones joining

Entertainment; some of the most boring football I have ever seen and our ground which has often struggled for home atmosphere is lifeless at home matches

In summary; brought in to do a job and is I would say on plan to meet the board selection criteria which was to climb the table and maintain Championship football. A steady appointment I guess, just watch x-factor if you want to be entertained

Now some of the above may sound familiar to some of you and some may not.

See you at the Valley for the 'love-in' oh and sure on two fronts you will want us to get a result today.........

Cheers.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I am confident you will get three points today .

Ex Charlton managers who fail to win for us at the Toolbox have an excellent record against the Spanners with their new clubs as Parky proved with Bradford in the Cup recently. It is only when managing Charlton that they cannot achieve this.
  • General Charlton?
  • Funny how you only turn up after a defeat buy still spout the same rubbish.

You never gave him a chance and despite your mention of humble pie you're just repeating what you said last time you lost to Leeds.

Tell us where you are in the league now and where you were when he took over.

Tell us how many points you've won before and after he got the job.

Or maybe you should just "move on"

I have recognised the differentiation in league position on my initial post. I also fail, fail to believe that a lot of what I have written does not sound familiar. It has to or we have a different Manager to the one you had.

Now if all my points are do far off the mark then I will have to accept that I too, am way off the mar
  • edited February 2015
    Much as I like SCP, that rings true.
  • Dave2l said:

F*ck sake, you again?

We get it, you don't like Chris Powell and want people on this board to agree with the points you made.

Bit of advise for you mate. The grass ain't always greener.

I agree, it isn't and I have foolishly thought that football forums are all about opinions. That is unless your opinions don't agree with others.

Whether I like him or not, is irrelevant, all I care about is Huddersfield Town and enjoyng my football.

In summary, he is getting points here and there, it just ain't pretty and I guess there are those who want to be entertained when attending a football match and those that want to win points and couldn't care less if it's enjoyable to watch or not.

By the sounds of it, a London show may be a better idea on Feb 28th if you ain't pretty to watch either.

• Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Swap?

Don't know anything about your new Guy!. So will say no on that basis.

• Richard J said:

I am confident you will get three points today .

Ex Charlton managers who fail to win at the Toolbox have an excellent record against the Spanners as Parky proved with Bradford in the Cup recently. It is only when managing Charlton that they cannot achieve this.

I do hope so.

Don't know how today will go, depends if we go for it or not. If we go for a draw, we will come unstuck.

Had to smile at a post on our forum from a Millwall fan who was asking how many we were bringing down and pointed us to go for a drink at the Kings Head at Borough. Now tell me I am wrong, but that ain't a wise pub choice for an away fan for Millwall home matches!.
  • Hmm, definite agenda here. Seems like you never were a fan and you'll never be swayed. Fair enough.

Must be nice having Powell representing the club well after having to put up with Lee Clark's head-down eyes-floor mumbling for years.

The best thing about Powell is his eye for a player. He'll bring in just the right player for the circumstance you're in, regardless of how much money is available to him, so even if it doesn't work out with him he'll leave a base of players necessary to do a job in the league. The worst thing about him is the late substitutions and unwillingness to try to change the game early, which means he doesn't change it at all.

He'll keep you up
  • To be fair, I thought CP did have a rather functional approach, perhaps of necessity. The promotion season from League 1 was obviously enjoyable overall but a lot of the games were a bit of a grind.
  • Hmm, definite agenda here. Seems like you never were a fan and you'll never be swayed. Fair enough.

Must be nice having Powell representing the club well after having to put up with Lee Clark's head-down eyes-floor mumbling for years.

The best thing about Powell is his eye for a player. He'll bring in just the right player for the circumstance you're in, regardless of how much money is available to him, so even if it doesn't work out with him he'll leave a base of players necessary to do a job in the league. The worst thing about him is the late substitutions and unwillingness to try to change the game early, which means he doesn't change it at all.

He'll keep you up

Lee Clark first season, brilliant, superb football, great to watch and some decent results. Went mental (with foolish aid from our Chairman) in the transfer market and this was his downfall as he had too many Players and couldn't pick right ones.

Yes I will take some swaying re Powell being overall the right appointment. I do though want to be swayed!! and need to get my head round winning points is more important than enjoying watching it. With a positive approach to matches, I feel we could be higher up the table.

Re subs last week, Leeds United, awful, there for the taking, big time. Redfearn to his credit got his subs bang-on, Attacking options, he went for it (we were the home Team). Ours were late and negative. We got what we deserved, their Striker sub in the 91st minute, no complaints.

Powell brought in Grant Holt on loan, inspired, this Player alone dragged us up the table a bit.

Other Player dealings not so good, complaining about no Strikers and loaned Jon Stead out as wasn't going to play him (yes, the one that was unplayable at Chelsea). There are more examples.

Time will tell!.
  • King's Head is a dingey pub up an alley that's a Millwall boozer throughout the week. Definitely best avoided on a Saturday.
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks for mentioning him LBTF

I'd forgotten all about him.
  • 3 points against the Spanners please.
  • Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:

I can't imagine the game at ours will be particularly enthralling. It is also Football for a Fiver so we won't win. (Hoping for a result against Boro or Norwich that's a shock and proves that we can win).
    I think some of your criticism of Powell rings true, but to be honest, most of our criticisms when we had him (players out of position, late subs, set up to defend) have been true of our 3 subsequent managers coaches; so I am sure it is actually because of the weakness of the squad. A lot of the time I think fans have over-optimistic expectations of their managers, and CP is still learning and is often over-cautious; however I always felt pride that we had him as a manager as he is a classy human being.
    Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season except against us.

You make some good points and trust me, I ain't expecting Barcelona. I do though expect us, particularly at home to go for the jugular, not for the draw.

Rightly or wrongly, I am of the view we have a lot of good ball Players with true skill at the Club, Players that given the freedom to express themselves could truly entertain and hurt opponents. Players that are being stifled.

I just couldn't believe that even the most blinkered Powellites could not recognise some of what I am saying about the football / tactics from his Time with you.

Good luck yourselves, sure we will both be in the lower middle section come the wash-up.

• I love it when LBTF comes on - always good for a laugh.