Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell tenure to date

Comments

• Until the next time, LBTF....
  • I thought SCP would be our Frergi.

He will improve with experience and I hope he will be our manager again one day.

At least he has beaten Millwall, and with only ten men.
  • WSS said:

Chris Powell could've been our Alex Ferguson.

Yeah, someone said that before

ECHO
  • A goal up and then down to 10 men going on to win 3-1 away, top result and i had Huddersfield on my accumulator as an away win.
  • edited February 2015

LBTF has it bang on from when Powell was here. Anyone who wants to say his football was good and attacking is deluded and really does need to pull there head out of his arsehole.

Butttttttt I would do anything to have the same sort of passion and fight in the team that Powell used to install into every one of his players. And personally think we need a Powell/Riga type character to come in and steady our sinking ship.

How many sides at League One or Championship level actually play good, attacking football week in, week out?

Ultimately, sometimes all you can really do is grind out a result. Sometimes it really was a grind - then again, sometimes we handed out a thrashing. Carlisle at home and Barnsley away particularly spring to mind.

Powell is not perfect, but he seems like someone who already has a good grasp of what it takes to be a manager, despite only having about four years experience so far.
    bournemouth and derby. Which is basically because they're good enough to.

rananegra said:

I can't imagine the game at ours will be particularly enthralling. It is also Football for a Fiver so we won't win. (Hoping for a result against Boro or Norwich that's a shock and proves that we can win).
    I think some of your criticism of Powell rings true, but to be honest, most of our criticisms when we had him (players out of position, late subs, set up to defend) have been true of our 3 subsequent managers coaches; so I am sure it is actually because of the weakness of the squad. A lot of the time I think fans have over-optimistic expectations of their managers, and CP is still learning and is often over-cautious; however I always felt pride that we had him as a manager as he is a classy human being.
    Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season except against us.

You make some good points and trust me, I ain't expecting Barcelona. I do though expect us, particularly at home to go for the jugular, not for the draw.

Rightly or wrongly, I am of the view we have a lot of good ball Players with true skill at the Club, Players that given the freedom to express themselves could truly entertain and hurt opponents. Players that are being stifled.

I just couldn't believe that even the most blinkered Powellites could not recognise some of what I am saying about the football / tactics from his Time with you.

Good luck yourselves, sure we will both be in the lower middle section come the wash-up.

We had Alan Curbishley for 13 years. His style wasn't too thrilling to watch either, especially when we made it to the Premier League. It's all about damage limitation and nicking the points when you get a chance. Powell has often cited Curbs as an inspirational figure in his own management style and he played under Curbs for several years. He experienced first hand that keeping things tight and attacking on the break can get results. Yes it's a safety first attitude and under both Curbs and Powell the fans at times asked the question of 'why can't we be more positive?'. Fact is, who is to say that being more positive is going to work?

The position you were in when CP took over meant that you needed results. Moving up the table and away from the relegation zone was the primary objective. You are doing that, and doing it quite well from what I can see. We didn't do too well when Powell first took over, he had to make do with the players from the previous manager (bar one or two exceptions) and it's fair to say he struggled. The following season, we not only won the League One title, we amassed over 100 points along the way. Powell built a good team with a strong team spirit. I would like to see your board give him that opportunity next season, back the guy, let him build something of his own, and only then can you really judge him.

Our problem was that after our title winning season, the money ran out, we could no longer afford the players to help keep us in the division. That said, we still went on to finish 9th on one of the smallest budgets in the division. Powell left a year ago, we are on our third manager, and due to how crap things have been since, it feels a LOT longer than 12 months. Be happy for what you have right now, and look forward and demand your club backs him in the close season and brings in the players you need. You could do a lot worth than Chrissie Powell. One thing you know is that he will work his socks off to get your team to do the best they can. They will have pride pulling on a shirt and they will fight for every point.
    we were "positive" under dowie. But that's pretty much only because the only premier league level players we had were Andy Reid and Darren Bent, with djimi traore and sorondo in the backline, you'd be mad to sit back with that team
  • I'd gladly take him back and the squad he had so c##k off
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

Chris Powell could've been our Duncan Alex Ferguson.

• Nowhere NEAR tall enough or as handy with his elbows.
  • He didn't squat or wave his arms around enough for me tbh. Good riddance. Gee Luzon is much better.
  • League One championship season wasn't a grind at all in my eyes. We went into most games knowing that it was very unlikely we would lose (hence only 5 defeats). We were as good as up by Christmas.

We strolled it that season.
  • edited March 2015
    so you win midweek, lose to us and suddenly he is the worst manager ever again

let me draw you back to this thread YOU created eating humble pie @LeedsbasedTownfan
  • Aside from whether it was the managers fault or not, the football Huddersfield played was so poor. Just so dire. All I care is that we have been playing some fast flowing attacking football these last few weeks and long may it continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well what do you expect us to do about it?

We could start a petition to get Powell the sack if you like. I would guess that there are some charlton fans who happily hound Powell out of football completely given half a chance.
  • So when you win 3-0 it's nothing to do with him but when you lose its all his fault

If this Man and his assistant didn't ever turn up at the training ground, we would have the same mixed bag of results. The ground cleaner could get a team on the pitch and by default they would win some, lose some. A good Manager and coaching Team would put a Team on the pitch that is more consistent and importantly play a way that entertains the fans.

As I said, lowest ever attendance at Championship level, a level we have played at for a lot of years over two spells tells its own story, the fans are voting with their feet and hopefully our Chairman will realise this before it's too late.

• so you win midweek, lose to us and suddenly he is the worst manager ever again

let me draw you back to this thread YOU created eating humble pie @LeedsbasedTownfan

This is just the sort of post you are complaining about other people making in other threads!
  • Well what do you expect us to do about it?

We could start a petition to get Powell the sack if you like. I would guess that there are some charlton fans who happily hound Powell out of football completely given half a chance.

I like the petition idea!, that would be a good starting point : )
  • So when you win 3-0 it's nothing to do with him but when you lose its all his fault

The ground cleaner could get a team on the pitch and by default they would win some, lose some.

Shhh, you'll give our owner ideas.
  • rikofold said:

Hope it was exciting enough for you you deluded fool

You aren't clever enough to to get the irony of your post are you?. That dross is what we get served up on a regular basis. We are where we are in the league inspite of Powell, not because of him.

We had our lowest ever Championship attendance at home midweek which tells its own story, that trend will continue whilst this Man is at the helm.

At least Powell got a result and sure he enjoyed his Saturday night. Never mind the 2100 that went down to London to watch that garbage.

You are Nick Gray and I claim my £10...
    I think you could be right
  • This guy embodies the problems with football fans these days. Huddersfield are where they should be at perhaps a little higher even and the footballs boring. Oh poor you I think you need to get yourself down to North London. I hear there is a team going by the name of Arsenal, they play nice football and their fans are as deluded and clueless. Every team bar a few teams in the Premier League have to go through a period where they don't play the greatest football because they can't afford to at the level they are at. Chris is too good for you, I hope you replace him and slide back into League One and you can go on your long unbeaten runs again.
  • SMW28 said:

This guy embodies the problems with football fans these days. Huddersfield are where they should be at perhaps a little higher even and the footballs boring. Oh poor you I think you need to get yourself down to North London. I hear there is a team going by the name of Arsenal, they play nice football and their fans are as deluded and clueless. Every team bar a few teams in the Premier League have to go through a period where they don't play the greatest football because they can't afford to at the level they are at. Chris is too good for you, I hope you replace him and slide back into League One and you can go on your long unbeaten runs again.

'Chris is too good for you', clearly you didn't go to the match yesterday and see how truly awful we are.

No, he isn't, our proud Club is too good for him, he has been appointed in a role that is beyond his capability.