Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LOAN SIGNINGS

Comments

• cabbles said:

People bang on about goalscorers, our main problem this season is the defence and the inability to defend crosses, Rotherham,Blackpool,Brighton home and away have cost us 7 points alone, I am really hoping Johnson will help a defender who attacks a ball, our central defenders are pony in the air, when we have a corner they offer no threat and very rarely both come up for it, unlike every team we play.

People bang on about goal scorers, and you on defence, but IMO 90% of the problem is down to the midfield. Of course the defence needs working on, especially set pieces, and the strikers need to find form but put the right midfielders in place who can create gaps and spot runs and voila, confidence installed in strikers and defenders (less work on them)
    Yes, this. And come on, 25 goals all season :(:(:(
    Don't forget the ones that Bikey nearly scored. They have got to be worth at least half a goal.
  • People bang on about goalscorers, our main problem this season is the defence and the inability to defend crosses, Rotherham,Blackpool,Brighton home and away have cost us 7 points alone, I am really hoping Johnson will help a defender who attacks a ball, our central defenders are pony in the air, when we have a corner they offer no threat and very rarely both come up for it, unlike every team we play.

People bang on about goal scorers, and you on defence, but IMO 90% of the problem is down to the midfield. Of course the defence needs working on, especially set pieces, and the strikers need to find form but put the right midfielders in place who can create gaps and spot runs and voila, confidence installed in strikers and defenders (less work on them)
    Agree with you, also the midfield IMO has very little ball winning ability its become a powder puff midfield since JJ's been out. Buyens cant/wont tackle, Cousins works hard but - lightweight, add into the team Harriot & Vetokele it's no surprise we get over run in the last 15 mins of games.

Can the Spurs lad do the job? hope so but not sure. Lepoint? looks to slow but again, I hope to be proved wrong.
    Exactly! We've used defenders as scapegoats for errors which are inevitable with the pressure on them of late, and strikers as scapegoats for not putting their rare chances away. Our midfield gets overrun most/every game, we've tried to battle it with 5 in midfield and even then I've seen 4 vs us have the better of the play as they know what they are doing with and without the ball.

Cousins has potential and a very good athlete but he hasn't really fulfilled it IMO and needs a rest, he's on over-burn already and it's clear to see from his off games. JJ bless him is past it and obviously in no mindset/fitness state to play consistently, Buyens I don't even want to go there, good penalty taker as far as I'd push it. Harriot would make a brilliant 7-a-side player and Johann's job is to create chances' nothing else. It's a complete mis match of midfielders, and not even sure I'd like to call Harriot a midfielder.

Our Spurs lad will help us concede a few less and break up the play, but our problem's just infront of him, Cousins & Buyens have been doing his job previously, they are no good at venturing further forward IMO.
  • Valley11 said:

I still look back at the Igor and Church partnership we saw briefly away at Brighton. It looked like they can play together.

I really think this is our best front two. Church doing lots of donkey work, Igor playing on the shoulder like Benty. Relies on Igor being 100% fit though
    According to Luzon, he is
  • Charlton will try to sign dexter blackstock from Nottingham Forrest on loan when the window opens

Charlton will sign Southampton's Sam Gallagher on loan when the window opens

I noticed these two rumours on FR, Im not sure if they've been mentioned on the board. The Blackstock rumour has been mooted about before, could be worth a try.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015
    I don't know too much about Sam Gallagher but Dexter Blackstock would be a decent loan.

Edit: Sam Gallagher: Striker. Under 19 International for Scotland and England. 19 appearances for Southampton first team in 2013 / 2014, None this year.

At 6ft 4 meets the height test.
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:

I don't know too much about Sam Gallagher but Dexter Blackstock would be a decent loan.

Gallagher would be even better. Premier League forward. He'd score goals as well whereas Blackstock would probably be better holding the ball up for us. Both good players though and 'd be happy with either.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015

vff said:

Gallagher would be even better. Premier League forward. He'd score goals as well whereas Blackstock would probably be better holding the ball up for us. Both good players though and 'd be happy with either.
    I guess the thing is, there are big gaps in the team that Luzon / Meire can say with some honesty that any loaned players will get game time. Francis Coquelin's comments about the positive effect of playing at Charlton and being catapulted into the limelight with Tottenham's , Miloš Veljković going straight into the team will help a lot to.

See hope springs eternal.
  • vff said:

vff said:

I guess the thing is, there are big gaps in the team that Luzon / Meire can say with some honesty that any loaned players will get game time. Francis Coquelin's comments about the positive effect of playing at Charlton and being catapulted into the limelight with Tottenham's , Miloš Veljković going straight into the team will help a lot to.

See hope springs eternal.
    Combined with the fact that Gallagher is a youngster and were slowly gaining a reputation of giving kids a chance so Southampton may be happy to give him to us simply because we wont leave him on the bench
  • What's the difference between taking Gallagher and a kid from lieges youth team
  • Gallagher is a decent player but Saints won't let him go. They don't have enough striking options and they've been waiting on him coming back to provide cover for Pelle
  • Gallagher is a decent player but Saints won't let him go. They don't have enough striking options and they've been waiting on him coming back to provide cover for Pelle

Yes, it looks like Jay Rodriguez could be out for the season, so they are quite thin up top
  • What's the difference between taking Gallagher and a kid from lieges youth team

No foreign loans now the window is shut, NLA - so too late for kids from Liege.

• People bang on about goalscorers, our main problem this season is the defence and the inability to defend crosses, Rotherham,Blackpool,Brighton home and away have cost us 7 points alone, I am really hoping Johnson will help a defender who attacks a ball, our central defenders are pony in the air, when we have a corner they offer no threat and very rarely both come up for it, unlike every team we play.

This may be because the defence never get any practice against an attack that is able create goal scoring opportunities from corners (where are only game seemed to be to try and cross the ball to a heavily marked Bikey) - these two weak aspects of our game are probably linked. There were some signs against Rotherham that Luzon appreciates the problem and is seeking to do something about it - but I'm afraid Rome isn't built in a day.
  • How many games does it take to convert a winger like Harriot into a striker? Now the experiment has been started is it worth following it through to its conclusion? Or do we know enough now to know that it will nver work?
  • good job oggy this place would've melted down if we had bought in a kid from there, just don't get why bringing him in from Southampton is any different, it's an experienced striker being called for by most and yer a kid from sthampton would be great
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

What's the difference between taking Gallagher and a kid from lieges youth team

No foreign loans now the window is shut, NLA - so too late for kids from Liege.

Plus Gallager is better.
  • good job oggy this place would've melted down if we had bought in a kid from there, just don't get why bringing him in from Southampton is any different, it's an experienced striker being called for by most and yer a kid from sthampton would be great

Agree with you, NLA.

Trouble is, most experienced forwards will already be playing regularly in their matchday squad.
    Why would their clubs loan them out? They won't.

All that's available then, are the clapped out 'has-beens' and up-and-coming kids not involved with their 1st team.

At least looking at Prem youngsters, you should get a certain quality on the ball.
    But they've very little match experience.

• What if the had 19 belguim top div games under belt stu

The term proven and experience have been asked for not a kid,

And if that kid had come from the network there would be fury

Let's at least hope for someone better than a prem youth player
  • I thin right now we need someone with experience in England, we play a different game over here, it's not the network players' fault but we simply don't have time for them to adapt. We need reinforcements now.

Luckily we can only loan from UK clubs atm anyway, the worrying thing is, I'm not sure we will.

We're an ongoing, failing experiment.

I'm not sure how many SL kids have 19 PL games under their belt.
    Depends also on how you define PL games, Stu?

Most decent kids make the bench - and get 10 mins or a couple of minutes right at the end.
    And before you know it , they've racked up a whole string of cameo sub appearances - but very few starts.

Now if most of Gallaghers appearances have seen him starting, then fair enough.

• Gallagher would at least have grown up in the English game. And will know who Charlton are. And yes I'd prefer a kid with 19 premier league games under his belt than a kid with 19 Belgian league appearances.
    The point is - the network is convenience for RD. Not necessarily the best thing for the squad. I would hope Gallagher had been scouted by someone like Chapple.
  • But it's not what we need

The only youth player was Koc and he was, cock.

Gallagher I know little about but he has played in England and knows English football. He is less likely to get home sick or struggle with the pace and physicality of the championship.
  • But where is the proven, experience part that's been banged on about