Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LOAN SIGNINGS

As opposed to bringing players in during the window, do you think we will do business once the loan window opens, once the prem boys have named there 25 man squad until the end of the season, it's going to leave a lot of players clicking their heels, it may well be players we were looing at in January become a lot cheaper to take, as you can strike a better deal. You can strike a better deal otherwise prem boys left paying all the wages as opposed to offsetting a percentage of it, we all know Roland likes a dela maybe this is the route he is going to use.

Comments

• Possibly, but I km doubtful how successful it will be.

Basically I feel we go into every transfer and loan window with the same approach, buy unfortunately so do everyone else. We don't seem to want to pay whatever going rate, so we continue to miss out ajd end up with the edge stuff, like the player who hasn't played in twelve months or the player not the same after a car crash.

The one outliner was Coquelin, I give huge respect for that signing and gutted that circumstances meant it didn't work out. But I genuinely think that was a one off
  • People bang on about goalscorers, our main problem this season is the defence and the inability to defend crosses, Rotherham,Blackpool,Brighton home and away have cost us 7 points alone, I am really hoping Johnson will help a defender who attacks a ball, our central defenders are pony in the air, when we have a corner they offer no threat and very rarely both come up for it, unlike every team we play.
  • That last comment is unfair on Bikey who has gone close a couple of times.
  • Close aint good enough, we need our centre halves to chip in.One goal all season between two.
  • I believe the Spurs kid is exactly the same type of transfer as Coquelin so not a one off.

Bad defending has cost us, but I am not sure if it is down to individuals not attacking the ball, zonal marking, or both. I do agree that Johnson could make a difference when fit.

I did think the one thing we all agreed on was the need for a hold up centre forward. My fingers still crossed for a good loan signing but I do not think that RD will pay the fee required to secure a good one just on loan.
  • People bang on about goalscorers, our main problem this season is the defence and the inability to defend crosses, Rotherham,Blackpool,Brighton home and away have cost us 7 points alone, I am really hoping Johnson will help a defender who attacks a ball, our central defenders are pony in the air, when we have a corner they offer no threat and very rarely both come up for it, unlike every team we play.

I disagree with that. We would all like the perfect defence but that is unattainable. Defenders are on a hiding to nothing trying to defend a 1-goal or more likely 0-goal lead. We need to be averaging close to two goals a game and we are not.
  • Rotherham goal comes from Wiggins ball watching again stood there motionless instead of attacking it.
  • I personally thought the spurs lad was one of the few positives in the Rotherham match.
  • so do I, just think Roland may favour this route,
  • Sponsored links:

• I very much hope so! I think we should ask Wenger again as surely he is happy with how Coquelin turned out.

Doubt they will let us have Akpom but maybe Gnabry or Zelalem? Both be decent enough signings and look elsewhere for a striker and then at least we should stay up.
  • Sergei Gnabry would be a good shout as a useful winger (Would also Cousins to move into the middle) and may be happy to join as he was the one who tweeted Coquelin after the Man City game wanting to know what he'd been taught here
  • Scoham said:

The lack of hold up play and aerial threat up front means the midfield can't get forward as much as we need them to. Therefore we don't create enough chances and score enough goals. The midfield looks worse than it is because of that weakness.

Being unable to hold up the ball and score goals puts the defence under more pressure as we can only get a result by keeping a clean sheet or conceding a single goal.

We're asking a small injured off form striker and even smaller winger with a poor touch to challenge big strong centre backs (which every team has) for the ball and hold them off. Never going to be successful. Tucudean and Church aren't really any better and I don't think it's Watt's game either. We've also tried KAG, Moussa and Bulot off the striker and you're not going to get it from them either.

The lack of that kind of striker (and ideally we should have 2 options, as Powell did with Yann and Hulse/Fuller) is making things too easy for the opposition. That type of striker will also strengthen us when it comes to defending set pieces.

After Yann went last season we got by with Sordell who on his day had a decent touch and was probably a bit stronger than the options we have now. Adjarevic when played off the striker couldn't/wouldn't throw himself around like Yann but had a good touch and a bit of height and strength about him. The current squad has no one that's anything like that type of player, unless Lepoint can be used in that way.

I think the plan will be to play him up front. In the news article announcing his signing they referred to his experience playing up from with Igor, and he is listed on our site as a striker...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/christophe-lepoint-charlton-gent-belgium-transfer-2234043.aspx

http://origin-www.cafc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10267~47863,00.html

• I agree MB. I think Lepoint will play up front and as that article says, he has played alongside Vetokele before.

Strong, good header of the ball, attitude and prepared to put it about. Reminds me of a French player we used to have.
  • All this talk of the loan window opening and who we might get in should remember RD is still the owner, why should he bring any decent players in during this window when he has not bothered in the previous ones?
  • If Arsenal are going to loan us anyone I hope it is Chubba. They are desperately trying toget him to sign a new 3 year contract so I do not think we stand much chance - especially as they have loaned out a few strikers.
  • Sponsored links:

We have one of the least goals against and one of the worst goals for. We have one of the worst possession figures as well, showing that we cannot create goals nor hold possession in midfield.

Saying our defence is the problem is barmy. However, the club must agree with you as they have brought in more defenders and defensive midfielders.
  • I did think the one thing we all agreed on was the need for a hold up centre forward. My fingers still crossed for a good loan signing but I do not think that RD will pay the fee required to secure a good one just on loan.

You may be right, but he must know that if we get relegated there will be a higher price to pay !

• We've scored 25 goals in 28 games this season , 3 more than Blackpool , i agree with making the team more solid , and being more creative, but finishing chances and winning games is clearly an issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables
  • to be honest i think Lepoint might be the best option to play up front with Watt or Igor
  • Sergei Gnabry would be a good shout as a useful winger (Would also Cousins to move into the middle) and may be happy to join as he was the one who tweeted Coquelin after the Man City game wanting to know what he'd been taught here

A good young player getting game time for us allowing Cousins to move back to his best position? You're falling into the trap of using logic and commonsense. Will never happen.

I can't help thinking that we're now going to repeat the same posts from transfer deadline day stating who we need to strengthen the team and nothing happened.

JBG is the only creative MF we have imho and opposition sides know that if they've done their homework on us. That is where our biggest weakness lies. Until that's addressed we're going nowhere fast.
  • Scoham said:

The lack of hold up play and aerial threat up front means the midfield can't get forward as much as we need them to. Therefore we don't create enough chances and score enough goals. The midfield looks worse than it is because of that weakness.

Being unable to hold up the ball and score goals puts the defence under more pressure as we can only get a result by keeping a clean sheet or conceding a single goal.

We're asking a small injured off form striker and even smaller winger with a poor touch to challenge big strong centre backs (which every team has) for the ball and hold them off. Never going to be successful. Tucudean and Church aren't really any better and I don't think it's Watt's game either. We've also tried KAG, Moussa and Bulot off the striker and you're not going to get it from them either.

The lack of that kind of striker (and ideally we should have 2 options, as Powell did with Yann and Hulse/Fuller) is making things too easy for the opposition. That type of striker will also strengthen us when it comes to defending set pieces.

After Yann went last season we got by with Sordell who on his day had a decent touch and was probably a bit stronger than the options we have now. Adjarevic when played off the striker couldn't/wouldn't throw himself around like Yann but had a good touch and a bit of height and strength about him. The current squad has no one that's anything like that type of player, unless Lepoint can be used in that way.

I think the plan will be to play him up front. In the news article announcing his signing they referred to his experience playing up from with Igor, and he is listed on our site as a striker...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/christophe-lepoint-charlton-gent-belgium-transfer-2234043.aspx

http://origin-www.cafc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10267~47863,00.html

Along side Vetokele they mean in same side!

People bang on about goal scorers, and you on defence, but IMO 90% of the problem is down to the midfield. Of course the defence needs working on, especially set pieces, and the strikers need to find form but put the right midfielders in place who can create gaps and spot runs and voila, confidence installed in strikers and defenders (less work on them)
    Yes, this. And come on, 25 goals all season :(:(:(

People bang on about goal scorers, and you on defence, but IMO 90% of the problem is down to the midfield. Of course the defence needs working on, especially set pieces, and the strikers need to find form but put the right midfielders in place who can create gaps and spot runs and voila, confidence installed in strikers and defenders (less work on them)
    Agree with you, also the midfield IMO has very little ball winning ability its become a powder puff midfield since JJ's been out. Buyens cant/wont tackle, Cousins works hard but - lightweight, add into the team Harriot & Vetokele it's no surprise we get over run in the last 15 mins of games.

Can the Spurs lad do the job? hope so but not sure. Lepoint? looks to slow but again, I hope to be proved wrong.