Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesbrough vs Charlton Ath | Sat 7th Feb 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Middlesbrough vs Charlton Athletic
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – TREVOR KETTLE

INTRODUCTION

Life as a Charlton fan just is not dull is it?

The past month has pretty much summed up what the year of Duchatelet’s ownership has been like.

With new boss Guy Luzon only getting one of two players he wanted on deadline day, and with old friend Riga returning to our cousins in Belgium, the mood at The Valley has been very bleak, to say the least.

However, not to worry, at least there is potential in the bleakness to disappear this weekend in sunny Middlesbr…oh wait – maybe not.

In all seriousness, playing the division’s current third best side has come at totally the wrong time.

‘Boro have not lost since just before Christmas and with an out-of-form and unconfident Addicks side arriving at the Riverside, the hosts will be looking to take full advantage.

THE OPPOSITION

In comparison to Charlton’s trigger-happy owner, Steve Gibson has relied on stability to try and take his ‘Boro side back to the Premier League.

His appointment of Aitor Karanka in November 2013, has proven, so far, to be a very good one.

Under the Spaniard’s management, ‘Boro have continued to grow as a side, as shown by their 2-0 away shock victory over Premier League champions Manchester City in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Following that victory, ‘Boro won 1-0 away at promotion-rivals, Brentford, with Grant Leadbitter scoring the only goal of the game from the penalty spot, lifting Middlesbrough to 3rd in the table and only one point behind the top-two.

In contention to start this weekend game for the hosts, is new signing Adam Forshaw, who made his debut last weekend as a substitute at his former-club Brentford, following a transfer from Wigan.

ONE TO WATCH

My player to watch this week is: Lee Tomlin.

While top-scorer Grant Leadbitter and loanee Patrick Bamford would have been adequate choices, Tomlin gives ‘Boro that something different and is the type of player that Charlton really lack.

The former-Peterborough striker received high praise from the media following his display in that victory over Man City and his recent three goals in his last three league games have been vital to ‘Boro’s promotion bid.

Tomlin is an intelligent player and can drop off the main striker to enhance his ability to create chances. If Charlton want to get something out of this weekend’s game, they’ll need to ensure Tomlin doesn’t see too much of the ball.

LINE-UP

Following a poor performance against Rotherham, there may be a few changes to Luzon’s line-up this weekend.

After a decent home-debut, Marko Dmitrović should continue in goal, with Stephen Henderson still injured.

In defence, the back-four of Chris Solly, Tal Ben Haim, Andre Bikey and Rhoys Wiggins should remain the same despite the arrival of Roger Johnson.

In midfield, Miloš Veljković should retain his spot to face his old loan club, he may be partnered in centre midfield by Yoni Buyens, if Johnnie Jackson is not fit enough.

Johann Gudmundsson and Jordan Cousins are expected to stay on the wings, while Christophe Lepoint will be targeting a full-debut.

Up-front, Tony Watt could be fit enough to start, he’ll probably be partnered by Igor Vetokele, unless Luzon prefers Callum Harriott to get another chance in a more advanced position.

PREDICTION

Another disappointing afternoon for The Addicks.

Middlesbrough 2-0 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Promotion likely for Boro. I'd like to see Watt get his full debut and finally net one but I won't get too ahead of myself. I heard talk that Henderson could be back for this one but I could be wrong. I will never predict us to lose. 1-1 Watt with ours. A point at the Riverside would be a wonderful result
  • A point would be great but I am predicting a cricket score style hammering.
  • On all known form we will go 451, park the bus, concede early and play out a tame 2-0 defeat barely registering an attack
  • 1-0 loss as Guy sets up for a 0-0 or super jammy 0-1, Israeli football coach through and through and the top two tiers of the Israeli football league's tell you exactly what I mean by that.

kudos to those travelling, I'm very glad I won't be - pains me to say it.
  • There is no way in the world we will get anything out of this. 3-0 to them. Complete meltdown on all Charlton forums.
  • Can't see us scoring, can't see them not scoring. 4.0 Boro.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose we wouldn't have expected to win this one even at the pinnacle of the Bob Peeter's reign (I didn't imagine I would ever use those words when I woke up this morning).

As Greavsie was fond of saying "it's a funny ol' game". If we crumble, it could be another Watford. We have to hope that we nick one (for a change) and the Boro fans turn on their team.

If we go 1-0 down quickly, I fear the worst. If not, we might get a surprise.

Boro to score 1 or 4, Charlton to score 0 or 1.
  • I would swop Lepoint for Vetokele. A draw would be a fantastic result.

It is also about time we had a bit of luck around the goal. Let's hope the good luck fairy is on our side.

(Go on, you don't get set up like this every day!).
  • For the optimists (or just plain delusional) amongst us, we are 10/1 for a win with BetVictor.
  • It seems that the only intelligent forecast should be an easy win for Boro, therefore I shall reveal my level of intelligence by suggesting 1-0 to the Addicks, with Boro missing a host of chances.
  • 3-0. Possibly worse.
  • Turning point of the season, an over confident Boro concede early against the run of play, two Boro defenders red carded including their goalkeeper and Watt scores a hat trick. 0-3 to us
    Amazing what a glass of red wine can produce.
  • Agree that Vetokele should be given a rest... We should start dividing the games up into two groups now:

(1) Games we stand more chance of losing (i.e. Against the teams at the top).
    (2) Six Pointer matches (i.e. Against the teams around us).

Of course am not saying that we should simply write off the matches against the top sides as there is always a chance (take Norwich away for example), trouble is at the moment we have Vetokele who has obviously been carrying an injury, give him a rest for a few weeks and ultimately we could end up with the Striker we had at the start of the season, and facing tired Defenders who will become tired as the season draws to a close, could be dangerous
  • edited February 2015
    I can see us pulling a real result out of the bag. All cylinders firing, we will be out of the starting blocks with pace, precision and I reckon a couple of early goals from Watt Watt.

Charlton, I hold you as usual, solely responsible for my mood this w/e. After last weekends footballing disaster, the 1-1 at home groundhog day result, the late demise of my Premiership accie (bastards Chelski!!!!), I just want something to be happy about come five o'clock that is not chemically induced!

C'mon you Addicks!

0-3 Charlton
  • 526 mile 13 hour round trip for me all for a huge point. 1-1
  • The best we can hope for is not to get whooped. 4 - 0 Boro
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't predict a loss. 1-0 Charlton. Smash and grab Johnnie Jackson on his return to get everything back on track?
  • This thread doesn't have enough Trevor Kettle hate for my liking. Weapons grade dickhead.
  • edited February 2015
    RedPanda said:

This thread doesn't have enough Trevor Kettle hate for my liking. Weapons grade dickhead.

That's because we've got bigger fish to fry. I'll never forget him reducing us to 9 men at Oldham away in the L1 promotion season, made my blood boil but don't get all steamed up over it mate, it's not worth it. :wink:
  • stevec said:

Turning point of the season, an over confident Boro concede early against the run of play, two Boro defenders red carded including their goalkeeper and Watt scores a hat trick. 0-3 to us
    Amazing what a glass of red wine can produce.

You've started early steve
  • Will be either 0-0 or a 2-0 loss
    Boring, unimaginative football with the least creativity seen all season
  • 1-1 Goal from Buyens :lol:
  • You never know... i'll go for a 1-0 win. like Noriwch away!
  • On all known form we will go 451, park the bus, concede early and play out a tame 2-0 defeat barely registering an attack

Sadly, this is probably just about spot on.

At least the Spanners and Holloway would have a go and might lose four or five nil but equally they might get a shock result and pick up a point or even a win..
  • Honestly can't see anything other than a 3 or 4 goal defeat.