Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford vs Charlton | Sat 17th Jan 2015 | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Watford v Charlton Athletic
3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire)

INTRODUCTION
Having spent the last couple of days contemplating this week’s Match Preview there were a few topics that I felt I could begin with… I think though it would be rather amiss of myself not to cover the fact that the managerial merry-go-round has struck at the Valley once more, and defeat at the hands of Brighton and Hove Albion seemed to be the last straw for Belgian: Bob Peeters, announced late on Sunday, the Addicks owners would spend just two days looking for a successor in Israeli (and ex-Standard Liege; Head Coach): Guy Luzon.

It was an appointment that Bob Peeters feared would happen, yet now we must look to the future… Guy Luzon comes into the Valley as our 31st Manager (including Caretakers) with fans looking on in trepidation, with the majority wondering what the coming months may hold we must remember as Charlton fans to stick together, however we feel about this appointment we must get behind the eleven players picked for our forthcoming match at Watford.

THE OPPOSITION
Saturday 13th September 2014 was the last time the Addicks won a Home game on a Saturday (almost certainly one of the defining factors for Peeters to be replaced)… that match on that day was the last time Charlton played Watford and as per the majority of the early matches a real Alamo defence, the Addicks would take the lead through a Yoni Buyens penalty after Igor Vetokele was tripped and that’s the way it would stay, all three points would remain in South East London, Charlton would climb a place to 5th sharing points with Watford who would be just one place ahead in the table.

Fast forward to Saturday 18th January 2015 though and Watford have continued to be steady this season, on to their fourth Manager now (Slaviša Jokanović), Watford have kept up their promotion chase by constantly remaining in the Play-Off spots… Despite losing to Crystal Palace in the Play-Off Final two years ago now, could this be the season that the Hornets return to the top-flight?

KEY PLAYER – IKECHI ANYA

My main player to watch this week is Scottish Winger: Ikechi Anya… quick, nippy and very difficult to play against, whoever has the honour of being our Full-Back this weekend certainly has a job on their hands… Having notched up just over 50-apperances in Hertfordshire, many would be surprised to know that Anya is in his late 20s now after his career to the English Championship took a very different path.

Highly rated at Wycombe Wanders at a youngster; Anya would fail to make the break making just 18-apperances in three years and he would go on to spend time in Non-League with Oxford City and Halesowen Town… Anya would go on to leave the English shores in 2008 for the famed Glen Hoddle Academy where he would be noticed by Spanish side Celta Vigo (although making just the one appearance) before going on to join fellow Spanish side: Grenada

It was with Grenada (the club not the country) where Anya would become part of the Watford setup; with Grenada and Watford owned by the same man (sound familiar?), Anya would initially come back to England on loan before making his move permanent in 2013.

Ikechi Anya’s stock is rising and having made 11-appearances for the Scottish National Side (including a goal this season against World Cup Winners: Germany), how long will it be before he makes the move to the Premier League…

LINE-UP
The worst part of a new Manager coming in is never knowing what the line-up could possibly be or whether Luzon will be leaving this selection for Damien Matthew and Ben Roberts to make, the fight for the No.1 spot will be between Marko Dmitrovic and Neil Etheridge whilst Rhoys Wiggins made a surprise return last time out… Igor Vetokele is clearly struggling with his Achilles so could be rested in favour of George Tucudean and / or Tony Watt – Both Callum Harriott and Yoni Buyens can be selected once more following respective suspensions.

Dmitrovic
Solly – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Wiggins
Gudmunsson – Jackson – Buyens – Cousins
Watt – Tucudean

PREDICTION
I’ll never predict us to lose… Watford 1-1 Charlton Athletic (Jackson)

Comments

• Is Jackson fit? I doubted it....If not, maybe Cally on the left and Cousins in the middle again? Also think we will have to stick with Etheridge in goal, and hope Igor can play some part.
  • Luzon's Roland's line-up will be

Dmitrovic

Solly
    Ben Haim
    Bikey
    Wiggins
    JBG
    Buyens
    Cousins
    JBG
    Vetokele
    Watt

• Comfortable 3 nil victory for us
  • Luzon's line up will be:

dictated by the fact he has hardly any options. Jackson or Harriott maybe, everything else is dross.
  • edited January 2015
    Interesting that Anya came to play for Watford through the 'network' in place. I did wonder why I'd never heard of him before and it makes sense if he had been plying his trade abroad.
  • 3-0 defeat - Luzon out!
  • 1-2 win with Watt getting his first for the club...

I jest. 3-0 loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• The return of Harriott and Buyens does improve our midfield options somewhat, and both should be 'rested' after their absences, so no tiredness excuses will be accepted from them!
  • Southbank said:

Luzon's Roland's line-up will be

Dmitrovic

Solly
    Ben Haim
    Bikey
    Wiggins
    JBG
    Buyens
    Cousins
    JBG
    Vetokele
    Watt

JBG on both wings-innovative
    hah - whoops! If only.
  • The battle of the basket case clubs. 2-0 Watford.
  • Nicholas said:

Please no more Cousins on the left.

Dmitovic
    Solly
    Wiggins
    Ben Haim
    Bikey
    Gudmundson
    Buyens
    Cousins
    Harriot
    Vetokele
    Watt

2-1 win

This!
    Solid defence; two of the midfield rested; Watt and Vetokele - who knows?!

• 100% nailed on that the new keeper will start. I watched him warm up on Saturday-expect a lot of punches...............
  • Who even knows what the score might be at this point? Only thing to go on is the binary results so a 1-0 home win or 0-0 or 1-1.
  • Watford line-up in a 3-5-2. So we ain't gonna get away with a 4-4-2. Luzon won't know that, but Phil Chapple, Damien Matthew & Ben Roberts will be aware of that. So I would expect them to be picking the team and the tactics for this one.
  • Hugely improved performance but will it be enough?

Udinese 1 - 1 Standard

Henderson

Solly TBH BIkey Wiggins

Wilson (MoM) Buyens Cousins Harriot

Watt Tuchedean
  • I can just imagine Jordan Cousins meeting Guy Luzon and producing a badly forged doctor's note saying that if he plays anywhere other than central midfield he might die. 'No boss, I'm allergic to the wings, honest'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully we will give it a good go but 2-1 Watford and the bad run continues.
  • God what a thought... Jordan Cousins has been played everywhere by the last three managers now

Powell - Right Mid... Riga - Centre... Peeters - Left

Can imagine the conversation he's had with Luzon already:

GL: I understand your a bit of a utility player Jordan, but that you like to play in the middle
    JC: God yeah boss, am tired of being out on the wings, would much rather be in the centre
    GL: Good lad, knew you wouldnt let me down... Your our Goalkeeper for the rest of the year
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Watford line-up in a 3-5-2. So we ain't gonna get away with a 4-4-2. Luzon won't know that, but Phil Chapple, Damien Matthew & Ben Roberts will be aware of that. So I would expect them to be picking the team and the tactics for this one.

I would hope so too, Tutt-Tutt.

If Luzon has a grain of sense, then he first needs to take a back seat and assess.

• Dmitrovic
    Gomez
    Tbh
    Bikey
    Wiggins
    Solly
    Buyens
    Cousins
    JBG
    Watt
    Vetokele

Looking forward to this, Watford have some of the best attacking players in the league and we have at least one of the best defenders in TBH. Really hope Gomez starts because he is improving so fast that we may not have him for long. 1-1
  • edited January 2015
    If we play well and do well I'll enjoy the football. If we play badly and lose I'll enjoy thinking of withering remarks to shout at Luzon.

Only joking of course - I love Guy and will back him 1000%.
  • I Hope we'll win but think we'll loose
  • Watford 3-0 Charlton
  • Well it's anybodies guess, all I know it's going to be cold, so hopefully a performance to lift spirits, welcome draw. 1-1 at best.
  • Bikey up front with a diamond midfield behind him, Wilson and Solly performing a tag team right back with Dmitrovic and Etheridge alternating between centre half and goalkeeper. Cousins will play on the left but leave the field 5 mins before half time to slice the oranges.

We'll bring Vetokele on in the 2nd half, 2 mins later switch him to left back and sling Church on upfront.

Oh sorry, scrub that, forgot, Bob's gone.