Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mondays Club Statement

Comments

• I hear what you are saying but the club statement say's
    “It was a very difficult decision to reach,” said Meire.

“We had been very supportive of Bob until the very last moment, but the disappointing nature of performances and results in recent matches forced us to look at the situation.

“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game.

It mentions nothing about complaints or a dossier of them.?
    I appreciate that that this type of statement is going to put a spin on things, but that was the justification for the banking charade.......
    I know what you mean, the sales manager who brings in a lot of money and indulges in bullying and intimidation of staff.....
    You have to have processes in place to stop this type of behaviour, for all your staff.

The statement just talks about the 'results'. I agree there may well have been more to it, but that is speculation.......
  • That Ketts comment is fine but then he said letting Hart go was a major mistake. Wasnt he Mr Unpopular too?
  • I didn't like Ketts' "bell ringing" post about Fraeye, thought it was full of self-regard and probably landed the poor guy in trouble, but I take him seriously on this one. I'm of course using hindsight but his remark brings a couple of things I observed in the previous months into focus

I was over in September and was able to visit the Valley on a sunny Friday before the game, and while there I was able to speak to someone who is definitely ITK. He was generally optimistic, spoke well of Katrien, and of course of the improvement to the Valley and the pitch, which looked fabulous in the sunshine. There was a general air of optimism. Then somebody mentioned Bob, and he went quiet, saying he didn't have much to do with him, but obviously having more on his mind that he wasn't prepared to say. At the time i found it an odd, jarring note, but guessed (hoped) that it might be a function of the Head Coach role. Ketts also mentions the public slagging of TBH, and I must say that bothered me too. It seemed like very poor people management.

But I return to @airmanbrown's point in his VOTV special, and indeed @AFKABartram's latest piece. Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, as well as their technical skills, because she is aware that our squad are a good bunch of people. Well, somebody didn't do their background checks on Bob and his people skills adequately. Let's hope they learned their lesson.
  • Rothko said:

As someone said to me yesterday 'the dossier of complaints against BP was as high as the Shard'

Then who was his 'line manager' that allowed that situation to occur?........
    In any organization I have worked for, surely the higher management have some 'accountability'.
    I have no idea if what you say is correct. According to the statement this was only decided on Saturday?
    Did they not act on these complaints then? Is Bob still in charge?
  • No he is not in charge........You are right Dazzler
    The title of this post is Monday's Club Statement, no where does it mention the 'dossier of complaints'
    as previously posted. But if that is the position, why not state it.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Rothko said:

As someone said to me yesterday 'the dossier of complaints against BP was as high as the Shard'

Then who was his 'line manager' that allowed that situation to occur?........
    In any organization I have worked for, surely the higher management have some 'accountability'.
    I have no idea if what you say is correct. According to the statement this was only decided on Saturday?
    Did they not act on these complaints then? Is Bob still in charge?
    Firing people is easy (although deeply unpleasant for people with a normal level of humanity)

Hiring better people is much more difficult.
  • edited January 2015

I didn't like Ketts' "bell ringing" post about Fraeye, thought it was full of self-regard and probably landed the poor guy in trouble, but I take him seriously on this one. I'm of course using hindsight but his remark brings a couple of things I observed in the previous months into focus

I was over in September and was able to visit the Valley on a sunny Friday before the game, and while there I was able to speak to someone who is definitely ITK. He was generally optimistic, spoke well of Katrien, and of course of the improvement to the Valley and the pitch, which looked fabulous in the sunshine. There was a general air of optimism. Then somebody mentioned Bob, and he went quiet, saying he didn't have much to do with him, but obviously having more on his mind that he wasn't prepared to say. At the time i found it an odd, jarring note, but guessed (hoped) that it might be a function of the Head Coach role. Ketts also mentions the public slagging of TBH, and I must say that bothered me too. It seemed like very poor people management.

But I return to @airmanbrown's point in his VOTV special, and indeed @AFKABartram's latest piece. Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, as well as their technical skills, because she is aware that our squad are a good bunch of people. Well, somebody didn't do their background checks on Bob and his people skills adequately. Let's hope they learned their lesson.

What are Katrien's own qualifications for assessing the skills of players and the make-up and chemistry of professional football squads? I have never known a chief executive do this in the past. In some ways it is being implied she is de facto director of football. Really?
  • I didn't like Ketts' "bell ringing" post about Fraeye, thought it was full of self-regard and probably landed the poor guy in trouble, but I take him seriously on this one. I'm of course using hindsight but his remark brings a couple of things I observed in the previous months into focus

What are Katrien's own qualifications for assessing the skills of players and the make-up and chemistry of professional football squads? I have never known a chief executive do this in the past. In some ways it is being implied she is de facto director of football. Really?
    Well her comments are there in print. I am unable to answer your question, of course. My point was that if she says the personality as well as the technical skills of players are assessed, then if true, I think that is a sensible approach. But was this approach carried out in the case of Bob? The evidence suggests not. Doubtless you will conclude that Katrien was not in fact much involved in the hiring decision re Bob, and I'm not about to argue with you on that.

The question is whether they have learnt lessons from this failure, which as you say is a failure not just of Bob but the hiring process last time round.
  • No he is not in charge........You are right Dazzler
    The title of this post is Monday's Club Statement, no where does it mention the 'dossier of complaints'
    as previously posted. But if that is the position, why not state it.

good point...
  • 'Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, '

Someone didn't do their homework on our very own Watt, if ever there is a player you'd call a gamble at this level, especially just after sacking your coach, it's this guy. There won't be many players he really gets on with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unfortuneately KM said "Head Coach" not "Manager", so no change there but maybe, just maybe, the Belgians are learning about the Championship, after all RD must be an intelligent man as he is a very auccessful businessman, so there is hope.

Nothing wrong with a head coach if you have the right structure in place. Look at Bayern Munich. We don't have anything like that.
  • 'Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, '

Someone didn't do their homework on our very own Watt, if ever there is a player you'd call a gamble at this level, especially just after sacking your coach, it's this guy. There won't be many players he really gets on with.

Indeed I'm aware of that apparent contradiction. I''m pointing out that this is how Katrien says, publicly, that things work. Tony Watt is a signing that encourages a bit of scepticism about that. But let's see.

• Curbishley was mostly successful in signing the right player with the right attitude for Charlton, I could be wrong but there is one player i would not have no where near the first team and it is not Tony Watt.
  • Curbishley was mostly successful in signing the right player with the right attitude for Charlton, I could be wrong but there is one player i would not have no where near the first team and it is not Tony Watt.

I have no idea who you mean, but is that for ability or attitude and is it a current 1st teamer?
  • edited January 2015

'Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, '

Indeed I'm aware of that apparent contradiction. I''m pointing out that this is how Katrien says, publicly, that things work. Tony Watt is a signing that encourages a bit of scepticism about that. But let's see.

All of which is trumped by the fact Watt already had a long contract with Standard Liege, which Roland has to honour. I think we have to consider these tests would only ever apply to players - and indeed head coaches - from outside the network. Otherwise it's just a relocation for RD, not recruitment as we wouid see it.

You referring to Reza? or Bulot? orVetokele cos he's injured?
  • edited January 2015
    For attitude influence in the dressing room Bikey, total fruit cake and cannot be easy to work with.
  • For attitude influence in the dressing room Bikey, total fruit cake and cannot be easy to work with.

On what evidence?
  • edited January 2015

'Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in, '

I think Katrien uses the terms I, we, us quite free flowingly. Also some of them will be tactical, it can take the fire away from RD without taking fire herself, as after all the's the CEO of our club and has been made out to be the peacemaker and a fan of ours so will fight for everything we want.

It's a clever set-up RD has got, a bit like a General of the Army phoning down orders from a far away place to a Sergeant, if that Sergeant has problems along the way it's them that has to iron it out & do the talks that tell the troops bad news etc.. While RD sips his coffee and clicks his fingers to make a change when he fancies it.

If we keep sinking, Katrien is going to take a lot of slack of the misdoings of RD imo and that would be unfair on her, she has no real say on what RD does, she's just a puppet (no offence to her) for Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    No evidence Gary just my gut feeling, would rather have a respected pro like Morrison playing along side Tal Ben.
    Sorry should of added i was replying to the quote from Atletico: 'Katrien told Heather McKinley in Trust news that she considers the personalities of players who might come in,

The big contradiction is in KM's statement.

“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game".

This is patently not the case. There were no rumours in the media. The 'rumours' were mainly turning up on this Board from people who were given information as to what happened last week - which brought things to a head. And without a doubt in this case there was no smoke without fire.

Our new Head Coach has been sounded out and offered a Contract - of that you can be 100% sure of.

The rest is HR/PR smoke and mirrors.

• No evidence Gary just my gut feeling, would rather have a respected pro like Morrison playing along side Tal Ben

I'll be honest mate, i like him. If he was a gentle giant, it would wind me up. I want him to throw his weight around and give people stick if they aren't doing what they should be. The blokes get plenty of experience and i think he's quite enjoying his time here, albeit he probably needs a rest. He can be rash during the game, but then TBH has probably given away more penalty shouts than Bikey this season.
  • Addickted said:

“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game".

This is patently not the case. There were no rumours in the media. The 'rumours' were mainly turning up on this Board from people who were given information as to what happened last week - which brought things to a head. And without a doubt in this case there was no smoke without fire.

Our new Head Coach has been sounded out and offered a Contract - of that you can be 100% sure of.

I think that is not quite right. The Luzon rumour is wholly the result of "media", specifically one Israeli website, which was then picked up by other media, simply because we made such a fuss about it on here. I am 100% sure that is what Katrien is referring to. The Israeli website "rumour" came on the Tuesday before the Saturday game. And I do still wonder whether Peeters would have been fired had we won.

If you are so sure the Head Coach has been selected, then please explain why on earth there would be a delay? There is a game on Saturday and valuable window ways are ticking by too. If you are in the Luzon camp, then it is especially ridiculous, as he is currently a RD employee.
  • Just because the successful candidate hasn't been officially announced, doesn't mean to say he/she isn't working in the background already. Indeed, I'd be surprised if they weren't.

As I said earlier, I believe the reason we haven't had official word of the appoinment is for diplomatic HR/PR reasons - and the fact it would clearly contradict KMs statement.

For clarity, in my view, If our next manager is anybody other than Luzon/Freye, then I'll eat NLAs hat.
  • edited January 2015

Addickted said:

I think that is not quite right. The Luzon rumour is wholly the result of "media", specifically one Israeli website, which was then picked up by other media, simply because we made such a fuss about it on here. I am 100% sure that is what Katrien is referring to. The Israeli website "rumour" came on the Tuesday before the Saturday game. And I do still wonder whether Peeters would have been fired had we won.

If you are so sure the Head Coach has been selected, then please explain why on earth there would be a delay? There is a game on Saturday and valuable window ways are ticking by too. If you are in the Luzon camp, then it is especially ridiculous, as he is currently a RD employee.
    Addickted may well be right, but I think the Belgians are in for a surprise if they imagine they are going to take anyone in by a delay. We are very likely to know if there has been anything approximating to a proper recruitment process from the person appointed and the fact that they will have interviewed other candidates, which will probably leak.

The implication of a presentational delay is that they care what we think, which is contrary to the impression of many, although I am not sure I entirely share that view.
  • edited January 2015

Addickted said:

I have no idea if Luzon or Riga or any of us have been chosen, however maybe the delay of a chosen one is the finalising of contracts. Whilst Luzon is already within the network, maybe he is holding out for a different contract that protects him longer than a one month notice period or an interim management position till the end of the season.

P'raps the plan had originally been to give Bob a few more games but the abject performance of the last two games and the response of the manager pushed RD into making a decision before he had ironed out the finer details for the next man, who is probably in a stronger negotiating position than his predecessors.

All speculation from row B in the Upper west

Well her comments are there in print. I am unable to answer your question, of course. My point was that if she says the personality as well as the technical skills of players are assessed, then if true, I think that is a sensible approach. But was this approach carried out in the case of Bob? The evidence suggests not. Doubtless you will conclude that Katrien was not in fact much involved in the hiring decision re Bob, and I'm not about to argue with you on that.

The question is whether they have learnt lessons from this failure, which as you say is a failure not just of Bob but the hiring process last time round.
    That hiring process appears to be flawed in many football clubs not just Charlton. How many appointed managers have lasted little more than six months?
    My local team (Norwich city) have recently sacked (they say resigned) Neil Adams after a few months in charge, also Brighton, Cardiff and Wigan, West Brom. etc etc All presented at the time as the right man for the club.
  • What are these quotes from Ketts about Big Bob? Am I missing something?
  • What are these quotes from Ketts about Big Bob? Am I missing something?

The squad unhappy after he publicly criticised yet another player after the Ipswich game, this time TBH. Completely lost the players, with senior members of the squad going to the board. They all thought he was out of his depth, despite Bob overestimating his own ability. That's the gist of it.