Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mondays Club Statement

Sorry if this has been posted already:-

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon
Iain Liddle reports

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon.

The former Head Coach had his contract at the club terminated on Sunday, following the 1-0 defeat at home to Brighton & Hove Albion, while Patrick Van Houdt and Guy Kiala have also left the club.

First-Team Coach Damian Matthew and Goalkeeping Coach Ben Roberts have been placed in caretaker charge for the time being and will prepare the squad for Saturday’s game at Watford (3pm).

Peeters leaves Charlton with the side 14th in the Championship, but without a win in front of their own supporters since the 2-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers on October 21st.

“It was a very difficult decision to reach,” said Meire.

“We had been very supportive of Bob until the very last moment, but the disappointing nature of performances and results in recent matches forced us to look at the situation.

“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game.

“We have won just once in the past 12 matches and with the January transfer window open it is an important time of the season for the club.

“We feel this is the right decision for the club and I have asked Damian Matthew and Ben Roberts to take temporary charge. I have no doubts they will do an excellent job taking care of the side for the time being.

“We know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one because I understand that this club needs and deserves a Head Coach who can plan and take charge for the long-term.

“I realise this decision has taken some by surprise, but there is still a lot to play for this season and we want to try and ensure the 2014/15 campaign ends as successfully as it started.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/search-under-way-for-new-charlton-head-coach-2199269.aspx#ZbJkWKJeRQLZLcth.99

Comments

• Interesting...just hope it isn't a smokescreen for Luzon or Fraeye to come in.
  • I like the fact that she used the term Head Coach. She knows that all the new replacement will do is coach the team and not much else
  • edited January 2015
    Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game
    That seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can explain. It could be a language thing but (forgive my naivety) to state that such a huge decision could go from being considered for the first time to being executed in such a short space of time seems strange to me. Welcome to RD's world I guess.
  • “We know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one because I understand that this club needs and deserves a Head Coach who can plan and take charge for the long-term.
    It seems as vision for the next appointment is something bigger than when hiring Big Bob, obviously they are still learning about the league and how it runs but this certain parts makes me believe they are looking for a good pedigree with previous experience or potential.
  • Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game
    That seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can explain. It could be a language thing but to state that such a huge decision could go from being considered for the first time to being executed in such a short space of time seems strange to me. Welcome to RD's world I guess.

The statement in the programme was obviously PR puff, but then they always are. I'm sure the poor run has been discussed informally within the higher echelons of the club...
  • Sorry didn't see this when I posted to Peeters Successor thread.
  • Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game
    That seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can explain. It could be a language thing but (forgive my naivety) to state that such a huge decision could go from being considered for the first time to being executed in such a short space of time seems strange to me. Welcome to RD's world I guess.

I simply doubt it's true.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

You have to admit it's a kick in the teeth for all those who saw this as a done deal with Luzón al packed and ready to step in. He may yet arrive but for the moment we are considering options.

?
  • edited January 2015
    There's no point in analysing every word to the nth degree.

In any case, if Luzon was appointed the very next day, it would be totally obvious, that it had all been planned weeks ago.

Someone in Israel knew it was happening before xmas, because I recall telling my mates on xmas eve.

So I expect Luzon to be coach, with Fraye as his assistant.

It might work, who knows ?
    That seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can explain. It could be a language thing but to state that such a huge decision could go from being considered for the first time to being executed in such a short space of time seems strange to me. Welcome to RD's world I guess.
    The statement in the programme was obviously PR puff, but then they always are. I'm sure the poor run has been discussed informally within the higher echelons of the club...

Yeah, I guess that makes a lot more sense. Thanks
  • Don't forget Katrien appears to be RD's eyes at Charlton.

If there actually has been something amiss behind the scenes, then she'd have a finger on the pulse. And would report back to base.

She also mentioned the transfer window being still open; evidently there's still opportunity for new players to come in. That'll also go some way to explaining the timing of Peeter's departure.

DM and BR taking temporary charge could be a very good thing.
    Cap'n Jacko et al could have another meeting and get everybody singing from the same hymn sheet once again.

• There's no point in analysing every word to the nth degree.

In any case, if Luzon was appointed the very next day, it would be totally obvious, that it had all been planned weeks ago.

Someone in Israel knew it was happening before xmas, because I recall telling my mates on xmas eve.

So I expect Luzon to be coach, with Fraye as his assistant.

It might work, who knows ?

Why fanny about then? Both of these guys are already on the Staprix payroll. if they are coming in, why delay? There's a game on Saturday.
  • What was said:

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon
    Iain Liddle reports

Charlton CEO Katrien Meire says the decision to part ways with Bob Peeters was not an easy one as the club began the process of searching for his replacement on Monday afternoon.

The former Head Coach had his contract at the club terminated on Sunday, following the 1-0 defeat at home to Brighton & Hove Albion, while Patrick Van Houdt and Guy Kiala have also left the club.

First-Team Coach Damian Matthew and Goalkeeping Coach Ben Roberts have been placed in caretaker charge for the time being and will prepare the squad for Saturday’s game at Watford (3pm).

Peeters leaves Charlton with the side 14th in the Championship, but without a win in front of their own supporters since the 2-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers on October 21st.

“It was a very difficult decision to reach,” said Meire.

“We had been very supportive of Bob until the very last moment, but the disappointing nature of performances and results in recent matches forced us to look at the situation.

“Despite recent rumours in the media we had not considered this option until after Saturday’s game.

“We have won just once in the past 12 matches and with the January transfer window open it is an important time of the season for the club.

“We feel this is the right decision for the club and I have asked Damian Matthew and Ben Roberts to take temporary charge. I have no doubts they will do an excellent job taking care of the side for the time being.

“We know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one because I understand that this club needs and deserves a Head Coach who can plan and take charge for the long-term.

“I realise this decision has taken some by surprise, but there is still a lot to play for this season and we want to try and ensure the 2014/15 campaign ends as successfully as it started.”

What I read:

"Sacking Bob was easy. We had tried to support him but he made too many mistakes and little had improved especially attacking wise."

"We had been thinking about this since he lost that first game"

"We have drawn far too many games this season."

"It's not clear yet if it's the right decision. Right now we have no other option but to put DM and BR in charge."

"We know we need to go for a half decent manager we can trust next time"

"We want promotion or a top half finish."

• Oggy Red said:

Don't forget Katrien appears to be RD's eyes at Charlton.

If there actually has been something amiss behind the scenes, then she'd have a finger on the pulse. And would report back to base.

She also mentioned the transfer window being still open; evidently there's still opportunity for new players to come in. That'll also go some way to explaining the timing of Peeter's departure.

Cap'n Jacko et al could have another meeting and get everybody singing from the same hymn sheet once again.

The boos from the crowd on Saturday would have been noted as well...
  • “We know how important it is to make sure this next appointment is the right one because I understand that this club needs and deserves a Head Coach who can plan and take charge for the long-term.
    It seems as vision for the next appointment is something bigger than when hiring Big Bob, obviously they are still learning about the league and how it runs but this certain parts makes me believe they are looking for a good pedigree with previous experience or potential.

Believe it when I see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

From what I have been told she might even push for a female manager.

Masicat never wrong.

;o)

• Oggy Red said:

Don't forget Katrien appears to be RD's eyes at Charlton.

If they thought they were going to have to sack Peeters sooner or later, better to do it early in Jan than after the window has shut.

Every season some manager somewhere gets the boot a week after the January window closes and he has just bought in a bunch of new players. It never makes any sense to me.
  • There's no point in analysing every word to the nth degree.

And the point of CL is?

;0)
  • what do u mean by that Soapy ?
  • Wish i could take that statement at face value as it hints at hope for us this season but im still not convinced it is not an attempt to placate us fans before the news they know we wont like.
  • Chris vs Hope, Powell vs Powell, 28 February 2015.
  • I can't help thinking that words were said after the game on Saturday. Bob bit back and was sacked on the spot. Kat's programme notes didn't give any indication that there was a problem. Praps the players went to Rolly and Kat and said sort it and that's what kicked it off #guessing