Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Brighton | Sat 10th Jan 2015 | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Brighton and Hove Albion
3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Lee Probert

INTRODUCTION
With Championship Football returning to normality following the Christmas period and the break for the FA Cup, recovery must surely be the key requirement for this Saturday’s fixture… Our last two fixtures have seen us lose back to back matches for the first time since April (albeit with one of those matches coming in the FA Cup) and getting three points regularly must become one of the priorities as the Addicks slowly slip down the table… Of course we may only be eight points from the relegation zone but its not all doom and gloom, the transfer window has opened with much needed reinforcements hopefully on their way to the Valley and in a league where anything can happen we still find ourselves just nine points from the Play-Offs, at the end of the day the Championship is a marathon rather than a sprint and we’re still a good way from the final turn just yet, our race is only half way done and the chase for the PlayOffs continue this Saturday against Brighton and Hove Albion.

THE OPPOSITION
Having already played at the Amex this season, our result against Brighton in September is certainly one of those matches that can only be described as one of many matches where we have lost points… Although our performance was more like the Alamo, Charlton would find themselves twice ahead in the match through some good finishing from top scorer: Igor Vetokele, sadly on both occasions Brighton would hit back (through Lewis Dunk) earning a draw late in injury time.

Since that day in September, the Play-Off semi-finalists from last season have struggled this term… With Sami Hyypia in charge with Champions League experience, must was expected of the South Coast side yet it’s at the other end of the table that they’ve found themselves, sitting one place about the relegation zone simply on Goal Difference more dropped points could result in our fierce rivals leap-frogging our opposition this weekend should they better their result (now that’s what you called mixed emotions), unfortunately though the Addicks find themselves coming up against a new Manager after Hyypia was replaced by Chris Houghton in the last few weeks meaning that Charlton could be facing a resurgent team as they look to impress their new man in the dugout.

ONE TO WATCH
Hmm… This part of the preview could have been so different had ex-Charlton Striker: Darren Bent remained on the books of Brighton and Hove Albion, instead he had to cut short his loan and return to Aston Villa following injury… Of course when you look back through the history books there are strong links between Charlton and Brighton which include the likes of John Robinson, Garry Nelson, Alan Curbishley and of course more recently: Dale Stephens.

My one to watch for this fixture though is the player who twice thwarted our attempts at gaining three points in September: Lewis Dunk

Central Defender by trade, Dunk came through the Youth Team at his hometown club making his professional debut in 2009… Since then he has gone on appear almost 70 times for the seagulls scoring on four occasions, a brief spell at Bristol City in 2013 (making just two appearances) has been Dunk’s only spell away from the Amex yet the big clubs are apparently circling so don’t be surprised to see a Newcastle or Tottenham come in for him this January.

LINE-UP
The two big questions this week will be whether new signings Mark Dmitrovic and Tony Watt make their debuts, after signing earlier in the week; Tony Watt could certainly add much needed firepower to the front line… With Stephen Henderson our main absentee you could also see a return for Left-Back: Rhoys Wiggins who is apparently nearing full fitness (the Welsh Defender having been out since the November tie at Leeds United).

Dmitrovic
Solly – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Fox
Wilson – Jackson – Cousins – Gudmundsson
Vetokele – Watt

PREDICTION
Charlton Athletic 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion (Watt, Jackson)

Comments

• Unfortunate for Peeters that they didn't keep hold of Hyypia for a couple more weeks. Having just won 2-0 away at a better side than us and with the new manager morale boost looking like it's in full effect, difficult to see beyond a Brighton victory.

I reckon 1-3. Brighton to go 3-0 up before the most mediocre striker ever to score against Barcelona pops up with a late consolation. Should be a right laugh on here on Saturday night.
  • The buildup to this game feels exactly like the Blackpool game, they were shite just a few weeks ago but now they are ghastly improving. However I feel like we did the same with our signings and I think we will see that after saturday, we will also be improved. This game will answer a lot of questions, about both us and Brighton. Think our resurgence and hunger for 3 points will see us through. So 2-1 to Charlton. Igor and Johann
  • Difficult one: Brighton were a basket case under Hyypia, perhaps the worst managerial appointment so far this century (there is a lot of competition for that accolade) and now a talented squad is finding its feet under the underrated Houghton.

We've got a new striker on whom a lot of our hopes and expectations rest (bless him) and let's hope that Peeters has a plan to utilise Watt's speed and aggression and that Vetokele can find some form and nerve alongside Watt.

Goalkeeper is a big worry for us as is (still) left back and (still) midfield, especially with Buyens suspended .. It doesn't look as though any more new faces will arrive before Saturday. This would be my line up (2 changes from @ForeverAddickted's chosen few) Etheridge Solly Bikey Ben Haim Lennon .. Gudmundsson Jackson Cousins Wilson .. Vetokele Watt

Result (f** knows, depends on what spirit is in the Addicks team)

CAFC 3 v Brighton & Hove Albion 0
  • Rossman92 said:

but now they are ghastly improving.

They're nowhere near as ghastly as we are!
  • I'm going to go

Etheridge

Solly, Bikey, TBH, Gomez

JBG, Jackson, Cousins, Bulot

Watt, Vetokele

not sure about subs
  • Bulot's away with Gabon isnt he?
  • @cabbles .. Bulot is in Africa with Gabon
  • Well Bu-low me away........

Erm, Colin Walsh?
  • cabbles said:

Well Bu-low me away........

Erm, Colin Walsh?

Even Bradley Walsh would do.
  • Another score Draw 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 to BP's Red and too much White Army
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 6 goal thriller 1-5 to BHAFC
  • MrLargo said:

Rossman92 said:

but now they are ghastly improving.

They're nowhere near as ghastly as we are!
    Ment to say Vastly. Oops
  • 2-2 last minute equalise for the seagulls.
  • They score from two set pieces, Dunk and O Grady, we set fire to the Covered end in fury at the Network.
  • edited January 2015
    Just a hunch but I reckon Moussa will start either as CAM or left mid..

We go for pace with him watt and igor up top and try and hit them on the break.. If we defend well 2:0 us if we defend badly 3:0 them..

.............Etheridge
    solly Bikey Ben Haim Fox
    ..............cousins JJ
    Gudmundsson..........Moussa
    ..............Igor......Watt

• Dale Stephens seems to have disappered, is he injured or out of favour?

as for the match, no idea but expect yet another 1-1
  • Think the result will be 2 - 2, BP always goes for a draw, only goes into attack mode when they get behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got a feeling Bob will rest Igor but inexplicably start 4-5-1 with George as the lone front man and Watt and Igor on the bench. We will go one down but come back for another 1-1 draw.
  • Network Athletic 1 2 Northern Albion
  • Brighton have just beaten two of the bigger scorers in the league, albeit one in the Cup, away from home. Brentford & Fulham, both 0-2... This fixture plays right into their hands, they'll be right up for another away game. Wrong time of the year to face them, but no excuses.

Think we want the first goal to get anything here, and not too early in the game as funny as it sounds. Bob needs to think carefully about the introduction of Watt, think if he makes an impact on the pitch the crowd will react positively to it, leave him too late/chuck him in too early if he's not match ready and it may be same old same old.
  • Watt has trained with us for 2 weeks, should be ready to start with, especially as we can't score anyway
  • No reason why we can't win on Saturday.
  • No reason why we can't win on Saturday.

They will score more or the same amount of goals as us
  • Hope I'm wrong but I fear this will be another frustrating day, 0-1
  • 0-3 to Brighton. 999 to the CL clientele.
  • 0-3 to Brighton. 999 to the CL clientele.

I'll volunteer to "woman" the Samaritans' line on Saturday evening.