Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Blackburn | Sat 3rd Jan 2015 | FA Cup 3rd Round| Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Comments

• Got my tickets earlier, they reckon 7k+ with walk ups etc
  • I think the team will be.
    Etheridge
    Gomez, Ben Haim, Bikey, Fox
    Wilson, Buyens Jackson, Cousins
    Gudmundsson
    Tucudean

Subs Pope, Lennon, Vetokele, Munns, Ahearne - Grant, Church, ?
  • Blackburn had Man City at home last season and played a weakened team, leaving out Rhodes. So I'd expect them to do the same against us, as they are chasing the play-offs.

I get the impression from last season, that RD chases the prize money from the FA Cup. He will also know the value of a sold out Valley, if we got through and got a decent home draw for once. Wouldn't be surprised to see a strong line-up.
  • Granpa said:

ashley Member
    If that dwarf Munns plays then I can kill two birds with one stone as my son wants to see the film : the Hobbit ,something about five armies.

I always regret seeing comments like this being made about young players, even if you turn it into a joke at his expense. At his height he will have had to work harder than most to reach where he is, and I admire him for it.

Sorry about that Grandad ,no offence intended to either you or indeed to Munns himself.

Let's hope that if he plays then he plays well and we win .

I remember however the August game against Welling and how depressed I felt about the season when I saw him and Pigott play.Mind you he did receive a hospital pass from Pigott in that match and almost got sent back over our cross bar from the half way line in the challenge that ensued so I felt a bit sorry for him on account of that and in my view of him being too short to play professional football .

• ashley said:

Granpa said:

ashley Member
    If that dwarf Munns plays then I can kill two birds with one stone as my son wants to see the film : the Hobbit ,something about five armies.

I always regret seeing comments like this being made about young players, even if you turn it into a joke at his expense. At his height he will have had to work harder than most to reach where he is, and I admire him for it.

Sorry about that Grandad ,no offence intended to either you or indeed to Munns himself.

Let's hope that if he plays then he plays well and we win .

I remember however the August game against Welling and how depressed I felt about the season when I saw him and Pigott play.Mind you he did receive a hospital pass from Pigott in that match and almost got sent back over our cross bar from the half way line in the challenge that ensued so I felt a bit sorry for him on account of that and in my view of him being too short to play professional football .

Unfortunately I hold the same view, I've watched him play a dozen times, and he hasn't shone, he can play a good pass with time, but defensively he chases shadows and is out-muscled. His sideways passing doesn't create goals and his odd loss of posession or 50/50 he loses will cost goals, too important a position to have that weakness. You need game-runners at this level in CM, he doesn't run a game, the games run by him.

But we can give him a chance at this level, the only two others I've said this about from our youth system is Pope and Fox, they both needed more time and seemingly Bob is now seeing that too... hope he doesn't do the same with wee Munns.
  • Charlton v Blackburn is one of the fixtures on this weeks Sky Super 6 (which is the basis of my weekly accumulator), although my heart says 2-1, I've had to go with my head (as there's money involved) so I've gone for a 1-1 draw...
  • The FA Cup to me is a big deal and as our play off ambitions are over through having such a thin squad it is now quite important to the club. Would love another run to the quarters but sadly this looks unlikely. Rhodes to score 1-0 to Blackburn and an even weaker team barely troubles their back line.
  • I would defiantly give the likes of Fox, Wilson and a young forward a chance. Georgeous George doesn't deserve a place anywhere in the squad after that ridiculous performance on Tuesday.
    Igor needs to find the goals again so give him some game time. Give Bulot 90 minutes too. What's happen with Tony Watt ???
  • a draw at best ..
  • agim said:

I would defiantly give the likes of Fox, Wilson and a young forward a chance. Georgeous George doesn't deserve a place anywhere in the squad after that ridiculous performance on Tuesday.
    Igor needs to find the goals again so give him some game time. Give Bulot 90 minutes too. What's happen with Tony Watt ???

Assuming Watt signs, he can't be played tomorrow due to the window not opening till tomorrow and registration for the competition having to have been made by mid day today.... totally stupid
  • Sponsored links:

• Check out @seriously_red 's annual look at cash for the FA Cup here

(sorry for the plug)

:)
  • Charlton v Blackburn is one of the fixtures on this weeks Sky Super 6 (which is the basis of my weekly accumulator), although my heart says 2-1, I've had to go with my head (as there's money involved) so I've gone for a 1-1 draw...

Hope you're wrong there, if only for the hardy souls that would be trekking 250 miles for the replay.
  • I will be there and we will we lose 2-0 if you live in the manner and are not going be ashamed of yourselves ,if i can travel 100 miles so then so can you a few ...your not a real charlton fan if you dont go
  • Isn't Watt a loan, do same rules apply? Sorry just catching up
  • DA9 said:

Got my tickets earlier, they reckon 7k+ with walk ups etc

So we should beat the 4,194 at Cardiff tonight ?

• The third round of the FA cup was huge back in the day. I find it such a shame.
    Spurs and Fulham away, in recent years
    But i'm trying to remember the last Prem club we have had at the valley in recent years and without looking it up,
    i'm struggling.
  • seth plum said:

Even when I was buying my East Stand tickets this morning I was thinking WTF am I doing?
    To me this is a big game, absolutely at the wrong moment, but I wouldn't mind one game this season to get a bit excited about, and that will happen if we progress in the cup. However seeing as how we're punching our weight this season, and the team has been getting progressively thinner and lighter, I can't see as how we're going to be able to compete in this game.
    Please god I'm wrong, but tomorrow evening it will be good for some unknowing feline somewhere that I don't have a cat.

It's big because this (and next Saturday) define our season:
    1) will Peeters be on the cliff edge or sunning himself in cup glory?
    2) are we listening to more soundbites about how expensive decent strikers are or have we landed one in time for the fourth round?
    I know exactly how this poster feels because our cat went into hiding after the Blackpool game! The end of the beginning if you will... What's next?

PS as @se9addick‌ posts, Mundell and I have tried to capture the choices and challenges ahead...in addition I've updated last season's cup article on the Trust website:
    1) independent websites give us a 45% chance
    2) winning through 3rd and 4th round gives us a crack at big games and a £3m cup run

No pressure Bob!
  • edited January 2015
    razil said:

Check out @seriously_red 's annual look at cash for the FA Cup here

(sorry for the plug)

:)

Thanks for plug!
    And yes, it appears transfer window opens after the registration deadline for the cup 3rd round so our squad choices will be unchanged tomorrow. The article is all about are we trying to do something for the 4th (5th & 6th) round...are we we actually competing or treading water?
    More important than the £3m income (for losing a Wembley semi final) is the journey. My question to Staprix is whether our journey each season will be an adventure or more of the same?
  • If anyone cares my line up...
    Pope

Gomez Ben Haim Bikey Fox

----Jacko Buyens----
    JMG--- ---------Cousins

Igor George
  • Had a reason not to go taken away this week so will be taking my two eldest sons
    #gutted

Although with this weather I'm wondering what the poor programme sellers will do now their carts have been taken , they can't leave the boxes on the floor again
  • Sponsored links:

• I just don't think I have it in me to go today...
  • Huskaris said:

I just don't think I have it in me to go today...

pull yourself together man.
  • Huskaris said:

What after our fantastic cup run last year! Should we go at least one game one further this time round don't you want to be able say 'I was there at the beginning of the road to Wembley'? :-0
  • The magic of the FA Cup is back in SE7..i only hope the magic on the pitch is more Dynamo than Tommy Cooper.

Depressing 0-1 (Rhodes)
  • RedChaser said:

Huskaris said:

What after our fantastic cup run last year! Should we go at least one game one further this time round don't you want to be able say 'I was there at the beginning of the road to Wembley'? :-0
    Haha, to be fair I took a half day and went to Hillsborough for the Sheffield Wednesday game.

I'm just not sure if I can be bothered to go and see us half heartedly lose with a half hearted team against a team that are exceptionally boring.

At least with a season ticket you know you more or less have to go or you are wasting money, with a cup game you go, and almost every time, you are just wasting money, and more importantly, time.

Having said all this, I will probably be there.
  • Good man, I did all the games on the cup run last year maybe because it's cheaper for me these days but the further we got against all the odds at Udders and the Wendies I thought our name could be on this! Then as always our team never failed to dissappoint :-( Still another year another opportunity COYRs!
  • "The FA Cup, who gives a f***, we're Charlton Athletic and we're staying up"
  • didn't we get to the Q/F last year or was I dreaming?
  • Woke up and have decided to go.
  • barstool said:

didn't we get to the Q/F last year or was I dreaming?

Correct 6th round and one game from Wembley in the Semis.