Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Blackburn | Sat 3rd Jan 2015 | FA Cup 3rd Round| Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs Blackburn Rovers
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – Keith Stroud

INTRODUCTION

While the majority of you will be recovering from last night and some from the 3-0 defeat to Ipswich on Tuesday night, hopefully, this is a timely reminder that we have an FA Cup 3rd round clash against Blackburn on Saturday.

On that note, I would like to wish everyone, on a personal note, a very happy, safe and healthy 2015.

With any luck, this year will see a stress-free year for Charlton, who themselves have seemed to be playing with a hangover in the last few weeks. One win since November has increased pressure on Bob Peeters a little bit, so Saturday will be an important game for the Belgian and his side.

The last time these two sides met just before Christmas, saw Blackburn win comfortably, 2-0.

THE OPPOSITION

Blackburn have been very solid in the league so far and going about their business quite nicely.

At the moment, they are in 9th place in the league, five points outside of the play-offs and if they strengthen their side in January, there is no reason why Rovers cannot get into the top-six.

Having said that, Gary Bowyer’s side only won once in December (against us!) so, like the Addicks, Rovers are going through a spell of poor form.

The visitors are expected to make a few changes for this weekend. There have been a few players who have been affected by illness in recent days, including Josh King who was ruled out of the 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough and top-scorer Rudy Gestede.

In addition, Alex Baptiste, Jason Steele and Ryan Tunnicliffe are still not confirmed as being available for Saturday as the trio are on season-long loans from Bolton, Middlesbrough and Fulham respectively and require permission from their parent clubs to play.

ONE TO WATCH

My player to watch this week is: Jordan Rhodes.

The striker is a lethal predator in the box, proven by his nine league goals scored already this season, including that brace against Charlton in December.

The 24-year-old is strong, intelligent and has some pace about him too. With Charlton’s back-four/three looking increasingly shaky in recent weeks, Blackburn will look to Rhodes to cause problems and to be the match-winner.

LINE-UP

Peeters’ will probably want to change one or two things, but with limited resources available, he may not be able to shuffle as much as he would like.

In goal, Nick Pope may be given another chance to show what he can do, although Neil Etheridge will want more game-time, if he is going to be a regular while Henderson is injured.

At the back, Chris Solly will probably be rested, Oguchi Onyewu is a doubt with a hamstring injury and Rhoys Wiggins is still unavailable through injury.

If it becomes a back-three again, then Joe Gomez, Andre Bikey and Tal Ben Haim could be the three, with Lawrie Wilson possibly as the right-wing back and Jordan Cousins as the left-wing back.

In midfield, Johnnie Jackson and Yoni Buyens should continue with Johann Berg Gudmundsson ahead of the duo.

Upfront, Igor Vetokele will probably start, but I can see Bob giving Joe Pigott a run-out with Karlan Ahearne-Grant also in contention.

CAFC - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

Another draw meaning a replay at Ewood Park.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

Comments

• Someone change the title. I am easily confused!!!

0-2 Blackburn
  • Archie Edwards anyone?
  • edited January 2015
    Sadly I won't be able to pay much attention to this one as I have my grandmothers funeral to attend on Saturday. Cheer on the boys and let's hope we get a decent result. Il be optimistic and say 1-0 Jacko. 93 minutes
  • Bob should go with his strongest XI and formation to address our awful form. I doubt he will though and expect to see a few changes. Maybe Wilson, Munns and KAG will get a chance.
  • Archie Edwards anyone?

No.

• Please don't play Munns Bob lol
    Pope
    Gomez TBH Bikey Fox
    Wilson Buyens JJ Cousins
    Igor George

JBG off the bench to win it for charlton 2-1
  • Bob should go with his strongest XI and formation to address our awful form. I doubt he will though and expect to see a few changes. Maybe Wilson, Munns and KAG will get a chance.

Can't really see Big Bob making those kind of changes...No disrespect to Munns & KAG but if they started, I believe it would give everyone ( players, fans and Blackburn) the impression he wasn't bothered with the Cup.

I'd like to think he'll start with what he perceives is his strongest side , injuries permitting.

We need to start winning at home and this game could be the one to begin the run .

As Curbs would say, we need to get back to winning ways and make a habit of it.

• Sponsored links:

Can't really see Big Bob making those kind of changes...No disrespect to Munns & KAG but if they started, I believe it would give everyone ( players, fans and Blackburn) the impression he wasn't bothered with the Cup.

I'd like to think he'll start with what he perceives is his strongest side , injuries permitting.

We need to start winning at home and this game could be the one to begin the run .

As Curbs would say, we need to get back to winning ways and make a habit of it.

Maybe, but when does the club ever take the cup seriously? Shutting half the ground doesn't exactly send out the right message either. We're in agreement though, and as I already said in my original post, Bob should play his strongest team to rediscover some form.
  • I'm going for 0-0 and a post war Charlton lowest turnout of 43 in the replay.
  • 2-1 win! Jackson and yohan berg!on another note anyone know if the whole ground will be open? Wouldn't of thought so but not tp sure...
  • 2-1 win! Jackson and yohan berg!on another note anyone know if the whole ground will be open? Wouldn't of thought so but not tp sure...

The Upper North, Upper West and the quadrants will all be closed, but the East Stand will be open.
  • To go or not to go that is the question.
  • dickplumb said:

To go or not to go that is the question.

How can you even ask ??????

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • We'll get 0 or 1, they will get 1 or 2.
  • Can Etheridge actually play?

If his contract ran out yesterday, and I haven't seen an announcement that he's signed a longer contract yet, then he is effectively a free agent and therefore even if we sign him now he wouldn't be eligible.

Or have I got it totally wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• Can Etheridge actually play?

If his contract ran out yesterday, and I haven't seen an announcement that he's signed a longer contract yet, then he is effectively a free agent and therefore even if we sign him now he wouldn't be eligible.

Or have I got it totally wrong?

He has signed a permanent deal, it just hasn't been announced yet. I presume it will be on the OS with the Watt deal.

• 7 goal thriller

CAFC 2 BRFC 5

Pope

Edwards Gomez Thomas Fox

Cousins Munns Muldoon Gerrard

Pigott Aherne-Grant
  • Telegraph honour us with a photo, but dont see our game (or any of them) as a thriller.

FA Cup is made to suffer in 2015 New Year's fixture list - it is being systematically emasculated by those who run it

The third round of the FA Cup is going to last ninety-eight-and-a-half hours and will provide the most forgettable Saturday of the football calendar
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/11320791/FA-Cup-is-made-to-suffer-in-2015-New-Years-fixture-list-it-is-being-systematically-emasculated-by-those-who-run-it.html
  • 4th round draw Monday 5th 7.35 pm BBC1.
  • My 2 eldest, my dad, my brother-in-law and 2 of my nieces have persuaded me to go to this one - I have no idea why they are so keen (beyond the lager and J2Os)
  • No interest in this one I'm afraid. My bothered ness for the cup gets less and less every year. Out of curiosity I'd like to see bob play Munns, KAG and one ore two other fringe players like Bulot and Wilson simply because I don't want our important players (Gudmundsson, Buyens Ben Haim etc) to get injured.
  • Does anyone know if ticket shop is open tomorrow
  • Would definitely be there if I wasn't in Tenerife... Will follow on here though if someone runs a match thread!
  • We lose in front of less than 8.5K.

Blackburn away to Man City in next round.