Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The White Swan (under threat) on Deserter

1235»

Comments

• Options
    It's now got its own wifi rather than The Cloud - bar staff will give you the code.
  • Options
    What's the swans policy on kids.
    Might be meeting a mate before the game tomorrow but he will have his son with him.
  • Options

Might be meeting a mate before the game tomorrow but he will have his son with him.

If he stands his round, he's in.
  • Options

Win nothing with em.
  • Options
    A bit late to answer, but think kids are fine during the day.

This has been a while coming, but the plans are now with the council - Mendoza, the firm that owns the freehold, wants to build two houses on part of the beer garden.
  • Options
    Been in there a few times in the last couple of weeks. It seems to be thriving, judging by the numbers in there.

The food is good. Limited choice, but I'm not keen on choice. They've started doing bar snacks as well now. Hope they don't change the beers too often. It's disappointing if you find one you like and then it's gone next time.

Haven't seen Curb It yet but I live in hope
  • Options
    Been in there a few times now and think they have done a great job. I had a Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout and it was one of the best beers I have ever drank.

Saying that though the service was a bit slow and relaxed like they haven't geared up for a football crowd. At one point most of the staff seemed to be in the cellar as the ales were running out.

Even so, what a turn around. My pub of choice before the game.
  • Options
    It was certainly packed out tonight for an Ian Dury tribute act.

I don't think they're massively bothered about gearing up specially for football crowds. But in a way, since most other pubs in the immediate area struggle when there *isn't* a match on, that's actually not too bad a thing in my book. It's doing very, very well whether or not Charlton are at home.
  • Options
    Had heard nothing but good things since it got taken over so went and tried it today for the first time. Pretty disappointed they had run out of all of their ales bar one stout at about 2pm and weren't replacing them. Will have to try again on Tuesday.
  • Options
    The ale is great, the staff are friendly, however they don't have enough serving. Could see people getting frustrated with the waiting yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not an ale drinker myself but met a couple of mates in there yesterday.
    Was a bit frustrating trying to get served but keeping the stools by the bar didn't help. As mentioned above, they ran out of ale at about 2. Friendly enough and I'm sure they'll learn to serve the matchday crowd.
    Worth mentioning that one of my mates is a CAMRA member and got 50p off each pint of ale.
  • Options
    I was in there yesterday pre-match and the Bread n Butter ale was worth 3.60 although, as Paul mentions, the value of the CAMERA card was obvious. £3.60 is bearable for a pint but £4.20 for Heineken is pushing it. I know they are pricing out the dregs who have haunted the pub but I wonder if that pricing is sustainable. Good food, warm and inviting with a decent atmosphere. It's what we have been asking for in Charlton for a long time...
  • Options
    They could have done with three more staff on, especially after 1.30pm. The Bugle is now one of Ken Ryan's federation of Barter Inn leases (includes The Royal Oak and The Rose of Denmark), so I would expect it to pick up a bit as well....
  • Options

I was in there yesterday pre-match and the Bread n Butter ale was worth 3.60 although, as Paul mentions, the value of the CAMERA card was obvious. £3.60 is bearable for a pint but £4.20 for Heineken is pushing it. I know they are pricing out the dregs who have haunted the pub but I wonder if that pricing is sustainable. Good food, warm and inviting with a decent atmosphere. It's what we have been asking for in Charlton for a long time...

Another till would be handy as well. The staff were queing up to use it, most of the time.
  • Options

They could have done with three more staff on, especially after 1.30pm. The Bugle is now one of Ken Ryan's federation of Barter Inn leases (includes The Royal Oak and The Rose of Denmark), so I would expect it to pick up a bit as well....

Good to hear there's a bit of stability at the Bugle. I'd heard a rumour that it was closing, but I imagine that was just the ex-Swan lot who were running it leaving.
  • Options
    Popped in to the White Swan after the game on Saturday (normally I have kids with me and don't drink). Very nice ale, wish I'd known about the Camra discount. Will be popping back, liked it.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    another great piece about the white swan by those at deserter @Vincenzo

http://deserter.co.uk/2016/02/publove-white-swan/
  • Options
    Love the new Swan, and whoever wrote that write up is seriously talented
  • Options
    Why, thank you @AFKABartram
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They had music on at 6pm after the Blackburn game. Bit early and made it difficult to talk.

Apart from that hiccup it's a great pub these days..

Beers in for the weekend.

• Options
    Nice! Beatnik is a cracking session pale. Under Current is a lush too.
  • Options

I had a Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout

I'm very curious now, what was that like? Did it taste of chocolate and vanilla?
  • Options
    Mackle said:

I had a Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout

I'm very curious now, what was that like? Did it taste of chocolate and vanilla?
    Does'nt know,but it went down very well.
  • Options
    Decent review. Really pleased to see them making a good go of this pub. As someone who still lives locally, it is a treat to have a decent local again. Was busy yesterday as you'd expect on a Sunday and a match day but after earlier teething problems when they first opened, the staff do seem to be on top of things now and can cope with the busier times. I just hope that the success story continues.