Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The White Swan (under threat) on Deserter

Comments

• Options
    Jarman said:

Painful to hear the chap from the Pelton arms had a bid rejected for it.
    That would of led to a serious remake of the swan If the pelton is anything to go by.

Indeed. That would have been a result for Charlton. I think he's still involved in the working party to try and save it though.

• Options
    Grew up in and around the village, My dads recently moved after 78 years of living in Charlton.
    I grew up IN Charlton Park, furthest Id go would be to pop in the Swan for a quid to get a bottle of Coca Pina whilst playing football.
    Was a great pub, remember people getting dressed up on a Friday Saturday and Sunday to go in there.

Was always in and out when Ted and Maureen had it, proper community pub then, Darts Team, Pool Team, Betting Syndicate on a Saturday, Charity events, etc.

I don't want this to turn into a political/racist rant and this is by no means meant to be interpreted as that sort of comment, however IMO the 'community' has changed a hell of a lot of the past 30 years.

I just don't think Pub culture is in the interests of the interest/beliefs of a majority of people who live in and around the village.

I think there is room in there to possibly do something like the have done in the Greenwich Union, BUT, youd have to keep the Oiks out who have eventually brought the pubs name down regardless of the owner.

Would be a great shame for another bit of my life erased.
  • Options
    Jeff, the owner of the Pelton, is also making a go of the previously moribund Shortlands Tavern, on the western edge of Bromley. The changing demography of Charlton might make it difficult to sustain a thriving community pub.

Thirty years ago when I lived in Birmingham, the inner-city districts had a pub on every corner. But de-industrialisation and settlement by Hindus and Muslims have left vast swathes of the city without a single pub.
  • Options
    Good luck with campaign Mark
  • Options
    Hi. Another member of the fledgling campaign group here. Just to add to an earlier question, as well as John Fahy there is David Gardner involved. David is a Blackheath Westcombe Cllr (I think) but he lives in the village. Geoff from the Pelton is another great person to be able to get advice and practical help from, top guy too. Also have had interest from the Hopstuff Brewery people. So strong interest and expertise, but yes, a massive massive task. Gotta dream though!

Btw, thanks Curb_it, your comment got me all nostalgic about the old days at the Oak, that place used to be brilliant. :(
  • Options

Good luck with campaign Mark

Cheers Ken, appreciated. Paul and I have had a few laughs already eh Paul?

• Options
    Good luck Mark. Spent many a happy Sunday lunchtime at the Sun & Doves and was gutted to hear you'd been mullered by a Pubco.

Was really delighted with the Commons vote.
  • Options
    pauleec said:

Hi. Another member of the fledgling campaign group here. Just to add to an earlier question, as well as John Fahy there is David Gardner involved. David is a Blackheath Westcombe Cllr (I think) but he lives in the village. Geoff from the Pelton is another great person to be able to get advice and practical help from, top guy too. Also have had interest from the Hopstuff Brewery people. So strong interest and expertise, but yes, a massive massive task. Gotta dream though!

Btw, thanks Curb_it, your comment got me all nostalgic about the old days at the Oak, that place used to be brilliant. :(

It did... cos you met me in there!

I also used to ocassionaly drink in the Son & Doves as I lived on Bavent Road back in 2000 for a few years. A great pub, sorry to hear what happened.

Viva La Swan!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there anywhere you haven't drunk ?
  • Options
    Price is aimed at a Tesco Express or similar - unless someone chucks in a huge wodge of cash the community pub or not it is going to need to sell a hell of a lot of beer and food to make it viable. I hate to see pubs closing down (thought they were changing planning laws to make it harder as well) but its a tough business to make them, pay even in areas where there are a lot of people who want to go out in the evening and have cash to spare
  • Options
    sorry only just saw JMarkDodds comment which covers the points pretty well
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks for comments and encouragement for the working group = appreciated

Update: Some 'Weird Shit' has been happening; Anyone with an eye on social media will have picked up some of this already. Will try to keep it brief but it has been a bit of a nightmare tbh.

Not a lot is happening from the official working group publicly because Vito Marino (who managed the White Swan for someone else for a while in 2010) put a spanner in the works. He was on the working group from the 25 November meeting but immediately disagreed with much of what otherwise was unanimous among the working group.

At the meeting Vito said he disagreed with Greenwich Cooperative Development Agency GCDA being involved in managing payments coming in so the working group can enagage the Plunkett Foundation and use their model rules for setting up a local cooperative; He disagreed that Pauleec should do a website for the group and began behaving as if Vito Marino IS The Working Group. In the next week or so Vito set up another White Swan facebook page and a twitter account and a website. The three sites each presents itself as if it's the beginnings of a community campaign to raise funds for buying the White Swan. There is a donations page with a paypal link on the website. Vito did this absolutely on his own without any agreement of the working group who at the meeting had agreed to amalgamate the existing social media sites with a new website that Pauleec volunteered to set up.

Yesterday the working group told Vito to cease and desist and to pull his bogus sites down. He has not yet and we have to see what he does before understanding what action to take next.

Consequently not much has been happening on the real White Swan twitter and real White Swan facebook page

There has been a bit of work behind the scenes though:

Pauleec has done a great little website which will be published very soon
    We've been testing ways of communicating without spamming everyone in the group with messages all day long
    The first meeting of the working group proper is going to be 11 December - and there will be a much bigger public meeting in early January - when the campaign will start proper
    A local filmmaker, Hannah Chamberlain who runs Barrage Media has offered to shoot a video short for the White Swan campaign - if she gets help in production, writing a script and holding umbrellas and so on when the filming is being done... WHAT a brilliant offer!
    And other people have offered support too
    We will make a list of skills needed and tasks to be done and distribute

We haven't had time to organise properly at all - the diversion above has been a real hindrance and several people were thinking seriously about withdrawing from the group.

Someone we will need is a volunteer coordinator - so if you or anyone you know has time and is able to coordinate people PLEASE come forward!

We have to raise £600 to pay for membership of Plunkett Foundation and the legal documents and model rules. Some of this was pledged at the 25 November meeting - where we missed a chance for people present to get cash out of their pockets then and there and their names be taken to go in a Hall of Fame on the website...

The ideal would be to attract 120 people to put in a fiver each. Let me know what you think about that and I will ask GCDA if they mind having their bank details published here = Chris Seaden is putting this out among his residents' association

We will publish the names of all the working group soon - and might be looking for one or two more people with complementary skills...

Then we need to plug into everyone's networks all over London . Oh, and do loads of consultation and feedback and write a business plan and all that

Cheers have a great weekend!

• Options
    Just been talking about the White Swan on R5L Investigates.
  • Options
    There's a podcast available of the show here, if anyone wants to hear it: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/5live/5linvestigates/5linvestigates_20141221-1310a.mp3

Interesting show, though a bit depressing when you hear how vulnerable pubs are. Heard some familiar White Swan voices on there though.
  • Options
    Yes, Paul Chapman who is a fellow Addick fan talks about the White Swan , Good to see the community getting organised.
    or at least trying to do something, than just say 'oh well'!.
    It will not be easy, but then if we wanted things 'easy' we would not support CAFC would we.........

• Options
    Just to clarify, is the WS currently open or not (for Boxing Day drinks...)?
  • Options
    Yes, it's still open. It's just up for sale, that's all.
  • Options
    Any updates available, is it still up for sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Badger said:

Any updates available, is it still up for sale.

I've heard that someone has bought it.
  • Options
    Some bloke called Duchalet. Apparently he loves the area and has got just the manager for it.
  • Options
    Bad news I'm afraid. The White Swan closed permanently as of yesterday 15/6. Bailiffs in, locks changed, place is now deserted. Nobody seems to know what the future holds but looking like it's days as a pub as now over. Very sad but at least The Bugle seems to be getting a new lease of life with a very pro-Charlton landlord.
  • Options
    Bugger.
  • Options

Bugger.

anyone particular?
  • Options
    Just spoke to bloke who was running it, he said middle eastern developers were the ones who brought it apparently, so will probably be flats unfortunately.
  • Options

Just spoke to bloke who was running it, he said middle eastern developers were the ones who brought it apparently, so will probably be flats unfortunately.

Sure they're not Belgian ?
  • Options
    Middle Eastern investors in Charlton Village. WIBF
  • Options

Middle Eastern investors in Charlton Village. WIBF

That's what i thought, but that's what he told me.

• Options
    Gutted. What will the Council say or do?