Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The White Swan (under threat) on Deserter

Comments

• Options
    Heard it is going to be flats but we need to now make sure The Bugle Horn is kept as a well supported community pub that does not go the same way. I was in there tonight and it looks like they have a lot to offer for the future - Stephen the new manager is a Charlton fan as well so that is a good sign. Would be sad if there was not at least one thriving pub in Charlton village in the new season.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Someone on The Save the white swan FB page said it's been bought by a company called Mendoza Limited registered in the Isle of Man. I just googled them, not good.

Soon be flats sadly. Beautiful old building that.
  • Options

Gutted. What will the Council say or do?

Absolutely nothing. Tesco Express downstairs and flats upstairs is my prediction. Depressing.
  • Options
    Sad to read this. Charlton Village could be without a pub this time next year, which would be tragic.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Someone on The Save the white swan FB page said it's been bought by a company called Mendoza Limited registered in the Isle of Man. I just googled them, not good.

Soon be flats sadly. Beautiful old building that.

My view as well, I attended a working group meeting,in December/January. Have to say that it seems up to the council to decide what it wishes to do?
    It has the right to refuse change of use, but will it?. Cllr Fahy was on that group so we shall see what intentions the local politician's have to the community?
    Probably best to regroup and support the Bugle, but I am not a local, just a very occasional visitor there. As Vincenzo post's the Village could be without a pub this time next year. Having lost the Valley pub, ( my local when I was living at Springfields) and apparently my late father's favourite pub the Swan.... it would indeed be tragic.
  • Options

The Swan was my place for a pre match tipple since we were in the Premier League...and I was old enough to drink, sort of. At the beginning of this season I stopped going there, the reasons being:

1. Despite having been done up a few years back the place is dirty. The final straw was when it stunk of piss prior to the Wolves game on a Tuesday night.
    2. The beer is pretty crap, when it did have ale on it was of a poor standard so I mostly stuck to lager...saying that on the few occasions I've been to the Bugle it's no better.
    3. The number of people going has dwindled (at a far higher rate than match-day attendances) and now the pre match atmosphere is lacking.

I would not rule out ever going back, and if this "community asset" venture is successful then it would be a perfect opportunity to have a well run Charlton pub to go to before the game.

If I'd of known that my decision to switch pre match pub allegiances at the start of the season would have had these ramifications I wouldn't have done so.

On a serious note this is very sad news. I have no knowledge of planning laws but is there a chance that if enough people didn't support a change of use application it could be turned down? Or is it too late for that.
  • Options
    http://charltonchampion.co.uk/2015/06/17/charltons-white-swan-shuts-its-doors-as-property-developer-mendoza-takes-charge/

You might be right. Will Greenwich Council say no to flats? Hopefully the group will get together and lobby them.

I don't drink in the Village anymore after moving a few years ago, not far mind but just don't go as much.

• Options
    People might be interested in this on the facebook page......http://savethewhiteswanse7.uk/2014/12/22/save-the-white-swan-campaign-featured-on-radio-5-live/ I think it is Dale Ingram who suggests that the council could refuse permission of change of use from a pub.
    But I think and I may be wrong the council does have the right to refuse change of use. Of course wether the RBG would want to take this on is a matter of opinion.?
    Mark J Dodds who posts on here will have a far more experienced opinion than myself.
  • Options
    Apparently it's opening today, with a different manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many managers have they had now Stu?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

How many managers have they had now Stu?

God knows it's got to be more than five over the last five years, the guy who is supposed to be opening up today was just working there, the young Irish manager said he doesn't want to know anymore.

• Options
    I think it's safe to say that the White Swan is finally finished as a pub now. Photographed about an hour ago - similar concrete blocks around the side entrance as well.
  • Options
    Flats. All our pubs are being turned into f*cking flats.
  • Options
    Tom Hovi said:

I think it's safe to say that the White Swan is finally finished as a pub now. Photographed about an hour ago - similar concrete blocks around the side entrance as well.

Do you mind if I nick that photo, Tom?

• Options
    Tom Hovi said:

Or a good idea to keep the riff raff out.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Tom Hovi said:

Do you mind if I nick that photo, Tom?

No problem - please go ahead.
  • Options
    Any news on the White Swan re-opening. Might give it a go while the Lib is being converted into flats and a new club.
  • Options
    Wasn't the last we heard that The White Swan was now closed permanently before being converted into flats ? Guv'nor and staff decamped the The a Bugle Horn ?
  • Options
    The Swan is shut now. The property company that now own it have got it up for lease for 35k a year so its down to whether someone will take that on? You never know.

The Bugle is open.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

The Swan is shut now. The property company that now own it have got it up for lease for 35k a year so its down to whether someone will take that on? You never know.

The Bugle is open.

What's the bugle like now?

Otherwise I might try the Radical.
  • Options
    I've not been in for a while I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Should only be three or four games at the Lib until it's done.

Was told there are squatters in the Con club.
  • Options
    Bugle was ok. Sky Sports, but no BT Sports.
    We wanted to see the Man U game , so left and went to the Fans Bar. This was good, although pints in there are £4.10/£4.20.
  • Options
    There were people in the Cons club on Sunday morning - looked like property guardians rather than squatters, though.
  • Options

Am I right in saying that part of it is open on match days?
  • Options

Part of the Lib was open on Saturday, I went in after the match (and probably stayed too long).
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Part of the Lib was open on Saturday, I went in after the match (and probably stayed too long).
    Cheers, hopefully it will be open tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Unbelieveable.