Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The White Swan (under threat) on Deserter

Comments

• Options
    Very pleased with that. Hope it all works out.
  • Options
    Meanwhile the Pelton Arms are advertising for bar staff for "a project not far from Greenwich". Anonymous?
  • Options

Meanwhile the Pelton Arms are advertising for bar staff for "a project not far from Greenwich". Anonymous?

The Pelton is a proper pub. If it's them looking at The White Swan I will be very pleased.
  • Options
    Should be an announcement soon. Will be great news for Charlton Village.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    A mate of mine is best pals with the bloke who runs the Pelton (and Shortlands tavern). He told me a week or so ago that said fella is also trying to get a boozer in Charlton.

Seems to add up.
  • Options

The Pelton is a proper pub. If it's them looking at The White Swan I will be very pleased.
    100% agree SHG. The Pelts shows that in tough times for pubs, if you do it right it can work.
  • Options
    Well this will be a turn up if it is the said gentleman. I know he was at the meetings to save it but thought he had lost interest. Lucky old Charlton if this does come off. Bout time tho.
  • Options
    Bloody good show
  • Options
    Happy days. Hopefully they can accommodate more than about three pints of Doom Bar pre-match now too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's bloody brilliant. The Pelton is my local and I can safely say that it's one of, if not the, best boozer in London.

If the Swan is half as good, there's pretty much no other option now for pre-match pinting.
  • Options

It's back open. Went to the test night last night - they've done a grand job with it. A few niggles to be ironed out, but fingers crossed this will work.

Will it be showing Premiership football on a Saturday lunch time ?
  • Options
    Also went to the test night on Friday. To be honest I didn't notice if there were still any screens in there - have a feeling not. Certainly no pool table anymore and nowhere near as many lager pumps. Predominantly now a real ale pub, which is good news as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Went along there this evening. It really does look very good. The guy said they will have a screen but not showing every single match and it might be without sound.
    I had a pint of Cronx. The barman warned me it was a bit cloudy but I thought it tasted very good.
    Not too many people in there but it was 7pm Sunday.
    Good luck to them. Hope they get a good crowd on Saturday
  • Options
    Really good news - real ale in Charlton Village. Whatever next ! Will definitely try and get in pre-match on Saturday.
  • Options
    Went in here on Saturday for my pre match pint(s).....very impressed with the selection of beer.....ales, lager & ciders.
    Bar staff were very keen, although appeared a little inexperienced......not a problem.
    Will be back!
  • Options

Went in here on Saturday for my pre match pint(s).....very impressed with the selection of beer.....ales, lager & ciders.
    Bar staff were very keen, although appeared a little inexperienced......not a problem.
    Will be back!

Agree. Well staffed and good beer. Clean and plenty of room. No food which was a shame and never like pubs with bouncers but I guess they were worried about a football crowd,

Seemed to be a mobile phone dead zone which was a problem when your brother says "the White Swan is closed" but was standing outside the Horse and Groom.
  • Options
    Also went for my pre match pint.

Nice beers kept well, lots of staff (it takes some getting used to on a new bar. Which pump is which, where certain glasses are stored, new till etc) who will get quicker as the weeks go on.

I will pop in Tuesday too I think.
  • Options
    Did they show any football ? Premiership or Championship or nowt ?

How many TV's showing what ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did they show any football ? Premiership or Championship or nowt ?

How many TV's showing what ?

Didn't see any TVs.
  • Options
    Bouncers?? Wonder what they thought when a load of old codgers with blankets and thermos flasks walked in! :wink:
  • Options
    The bouncers are there for the moment to see off a certain element. You must have passed the test Henry.

It is very nice inside and plan to start going regularly.

No football covered end. Will have big screen for big games.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

The bouncers are there for the moment to see off a certain element.

I take it, you didn't get in.
  • Options

Bouncers?? Wonder what they thought when a load of old codgers with blankets and thermos flasks walked in! :wink:

I had to take my cap off.....police requirement apparently.
  • Options
    Went in before the match on Saturday and it was very decent. Walking down from the Village was also a chance to reacquaint ourselves with the rather antiquated, but charming, Sam Bartram entrance. Certainly a good addition to our pre-match options for a pint and will go again.
  • Options
    Also went in to support the new owners. Was not that busy, and very beefy doorman gave us a smile on way in, and enjoy the match lads on the way out. £4 for a pint of Amstell was not cheap, but was ok. Had about 8 staff on, and really only needed 3 on Saturday. No food and no Tv and no mobile reception. However, would I go again yes. But, needs footie on the TV to get the punters in.
  • Options
    I don't think he has Sky Sports in his pubs.

Food will be coming once the kitchen is redone, he said he was interviewing chef's last week.

Charlton village has always had a crap mobile reception. Bit like the top of Shooters Hill which is also pants.

• Options
    Went to the White Swan before the game on Tuesday evening. Should've stayed there. Really nice atmosphere, nice pint of Guinness. Bouncer was quite friendly. There is a big projector screen, but well out of the way, so no full on 6 screens all on sky sports. Place has been renovated to a reasonable standard. Had a bit of the same feel as the Park Tavern in Eltham, but with nicer Bar staff and cheaper Beer.

There seemed to be some free nibbles on the bar, but had already eaten. Menu looks good, so might try quick bite there on Saturday.

Really poor mobile reception where we sat (right side of bar in corner). I think they have WIFI available, but didn't see any notes on the menu or on the wall to quickly let us know the code (didn't stay long so not that bothered).

After leaving the game early (1 min into Injury time), I decided to stop off at the Bugle for a quick anger infused Gin. The difference between the two bars is striking. Will be making the White Swan my stop off of choice going forward. Good to see a bar having a good go in the area.
  • Options
    Its got a northern soul night on tonight and live music on tomorrow.

And a beer festival all the following weekend. Great addition for the locals.
    I think the wifi is just the cloud.