Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Glad Liverpool won in a way

The amount of trust they put in Youth is only a good thing for England
  • Options
    But he made his Premier League debut at the age of 16 and now played over 700 games. A tremendous professional and example to many youngsters how to conduct yourself on and off the pitch.
    And that debut was 4 months before one of his team mate's tonight, Harvey Elliot (16), was born!
  • Options
    Not surprising Gomez has had a dip in form. He was out for over a year with his first injury & then having got back into the team & playing well he gets crocked again & out for 6 months.

2 big injuries in 3 years. Missed a Champions League final as well which he would have been a shoe in for a starting place.
  • Options
    Wonder if Joe could get a game at Man City?

(Currently 3 0 down to Liverpool).
  • Options
    Punch up with Sterling at England training ground, now Sterling banned for 1st England game on Thursday
  • Options
    I have to say I have been so disappointed with Joe when I've seen his brief appearances for Liverpool and again last night for England. He looks like a rabbit caught in headlights. Every pass is backwards or sideways; he rarely ventures over the half way line. He seems bereft of confidence. The first time I saw him play for Charlton I went home and told my wife he would be England captain one day. That, at present, seems a mile off.

I don't know if the injuries have taken their toll, if he is still recovering from these in terms of physical fitness and mental strength, but I sincerely hope he gets his mojo back.
  • Options
    might've just been me hearing things, but sounded like he got a couple of boo's with his first touch last night?
  • Options
    might've just been me hearing things, but sounded like he got a couple of boo's with his first touch last night?
    He did. But that stopped pretty quickly. Pathetic response as I say. 
  • Options
    Can’t believe he got booed from some so called supporters last night. He did nothing wrong and even pleaded to Southgate not to drop Sterling. Some people are not suitable for football matches.

I also agree that his development and confidence has really took a hit. Since breaking his ankle at Burnley, Gomez has started 1 Premier League game, that was against Norwich in the opening game of this season. Before that injury, he started in 12 of their opening 15 Premier League games last season, they won 9 of those 12. Further to this, in the last two seasons, every Premier League game Gomez has played 90 minutes in, Liverpool has only conceded 5 goals.

He has lost so much confidence because even when there are changes, other players come in for him. He’s found himself as 4th choice centre-back, and 2nd or 3rd choice full-back. Klopp’s man management in general seems to be fantastic, but I do think his management of Gomez has been poor.

I hope he gets back to his level when he was alongside van Dijk at centre back, when he was looking to play forward and progressive football, dribbling into midfield often and starting attacks. When he had Neymar in his pocket when England played Brazil. He is a good player, he just needs an arm around his shoulder and reminding that he is a good player, and then shown that belief by playing him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gomez still has it all to prove. Clearly a Rolls Royce of a footballer, but he has to play week after week, doing the dirty stuff and anticipating danger

But then the same can be said about John Stones. A real shame that both haven't come on from where they were 3 years ago
  • Options
    Needs to go and play regularly somewhere , maybe a Leicester 
  • Options
    Confidence shot to bits... he needs to play!!

hes still got it all to be the best centre half in the country but he needs a run of games 
  • Options
    His development does seem to have stalled. Hardly surprising given that his injury record has been in the Lewis Page league since he left Charlton.

The teenage Joe Gomez I saw at The Valley before Meire binned him would not have been turned inside out and up his own ****hole by a Montenagrian forward in the way he was last night.
  • Options
    Needs to go and play regularly somewhere , maybe a Leicester 
    Charlton , in place of Sarr !
  • Options
    His ability to play anywhere in defence is going to see him turn into someone like Phil Jones - Ironically may well end up having similar injury issues too
  • Options
    Loan him back to us, Bowyer will make him great again.
  • Options
    Loan him back to us, Bowyer will make him great again.

We can but dream. Don't worry, he'll be fine and in the England team that win the Euro Championship!

Well I did say we could dream.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen the picture of Joe when he got booed at Wembley.this young man was coming on to the pitch at Wembley in front of relations in the stands to represent his country.I hope those ignorant bastards are happy with themselves,he did nothing wrong and certainly nothing to warrent this sort of treatment.what is up with some people.
    Basically it's because they're wankers.
  • Options
    Totally agree,sad bastards who probably lead a hen pecked oppressive life.
  • Options
    Just seen the picture of Joe when he got booed at Wembley.this young man was coming on to the pitch at Wembley in front of relations in the stands to represent his country.I hope those ignorant bastards are happy with themselves,he did nothing wrong and certainly nothing to warrent this sort of treatment.what is up with some people.
    Basically it's because they're wankers.
    Probably Man City fans
  • Options
    Back starting alongside VVD and they’ve kept 3 clean sheets in a row.
    Fans on social media praising him as back to his best after a spell on the bench.
  • Options
    Yes, he grew into the game today and showed quite a few moments of class. His speed and tackling on the deck is great but he needs to develop more aerial presence and power - and a bit more ambition going forward too. Most of his passes are sideways to VVD or TAA so they can take the responsibility of trying to launch an attack. But well worth his start today.
  • Options
    Did well to get back to stop Sarr from having a 1v1 at one point in the second half

He got helped by Sarr's bloody awful first touch but still
  • Options
    Back starting alongside VVD and they’ve kept 3 clean sheets in a row.
    Fans on social media praising him as back to his best after a spell on the bench.
    Personally didn't think he was that good and a better side than Watford would've scored at least twice.
  • Options
    Needs to get his confidence back but that’s only going to come with a run of games and playing in one position, not asked to pull at full back at times. The partnership of Virgil and Gomez has fantastic potential. I really hope Klopp sticks with him and allows him to develop and regain his form from before. A fit and on song Gomez is just what England need next summer.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Needs to get his confidence back but that’s only going to come with a run of games and playing in one position, not asked to pull at full back at times. The partnership of Virgil and Gomez has fantastic potential. I really hope Klopp sticks with him and allows him to develop and regain his form from before. A fit and on song Gomez is just what England need next summer.
    And let's be honest he probably couldn't have a better defensive partner to learn from.

Matip and Lovren have no confirmed return date from their injuries yet so Gomez is going to get a good run of games.