Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    There’s one more player who played in a CL final after having played for Charlton 
    The Tank, of course
    Indeed  ;)
  • Options
    But not an Academy product
  • Options
    Shame about the tonking from Messi FC tonight.

Got a bag riding on Gomez making a Champions League Final by 2025, from a fellow Addick who disagreed with me about his potential. 

• Options
    But not an Academy product
    Yes Liverpool did a tremendous job developing Gomez ;)
  • Options
    I meant Costa, Len  :)
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Shame about the tonking from Messi FC tonight.

Got a bag riding on Gomez making a Champions League Final by 2025, from a fellow Addick who disagreed with me about his potential. 

Didn’t know Ray Charles supported us 
  • Options
    Remember a few on here saying this fella is going all the way to the very top after they'd watched him a few times at the valley.

How right they were.
    Wasn’t hard though was it? He was a cut above and without a doubt the best youngster I’d ever seen from our Academy. 
    No, but people said the same about Jenkinson.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Remember a few on here saying this fella is going all the way to the very top after they'd watched him a few times at the valley.

How right they were.
    Wasn’t hard though was it? He was a cut above and without a doubt the best youngster I’d ever seen from our Academy. 
    Like chalk and cheese
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

How right they were.
    Personally I never felt Jenkinson showed the same potential as Gomez.
    I remember thinking at the time that Arsenal had picked the wrong Rb (I.e.not Solly)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

How right they were.
    Personally I never felt Jenkinson showed the same potential as Gomez.
    I remember thinking at the time that Arsenal had picked the wrong Rb (I.e.not Solly)
    No he definitely didn’t and I still to this day don’t get what Arsenal saw in him. I’m just making the point that some people  rave about all our kids and claim they’ll make it to the top, then gloat about having ‘known all along’ when one does make it.
  • Options
    Bob Bolder,European cup winners medal holder as unused sub for Liverpool v Roma in 1984.
  • Options
    Didn't Diawara play a Euro final after leaving us; maybe not CL though
  • Options
    Djimi Traore won the CL for Liverpool in the Milan game in Istanbul, obviously not a Charlton academy graduate.....
  • Options
    he was very poor last night. I'm surprised that he was preferred at right back to Alexander Arnold.
  • Options
    Kinsella playing a 2nd Round tie @ the World Cup in 2002

Thats got to trump anything that any non-Academy player has ever achieved for us?

Although Jorge Costa played in a Euros Semi-Final in 2000
  • Options
    Kinsella playing a 2nd Round tie @ the World Cup in 2002

Thats got to trump anything that any non-Academy player has ever achieved for us?

Although Jorge Costa played in a Euros Semi-Final in 2000
    Pope was on the bench for a World Cup semi-final. 
  • Options
    Obviously not an academy player but Jorge Costa went on to captain Porto to a UEFA Cup and Champion's League win in back-to-back season after leaving us and led Portugal to Euro semi-final. No ex-Charlton player has topped that yet.
  • Options
    I meant Costa, Len  :)
    I know that hence the wink.

However we both know that Charlton tends to be removed from the CVs of our 'good' players by the media unless scandal is involved..... 
  • Options
    Class Jensen came on as sub and played for Denmark against England when we beat them 3-0 to go through to the quarter finals in the 2002 World Cup and Dennis (in the last minute) played for Denmark that game , we signed him after .

Danny Mills played in that World Cup and the quarter final loss against Brazil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    he was very poor last night. I'm surprised that he was preferred at right back to Alexander Arnold.
    Your first start for 4 months and your played RB against Barcelona !  Joe had been playing great at CB which is by far his best position. I was surprised Gomez was picked ahead of Trent-Arnold who is a better attacking full back. 
    You can't out pass Barcelona, have more possession and more shots and lose 3-0.
    Liverpool had the 3 golden chances and missed the lot.

Joe's crossing isn't as good as Trent-Arnold so CB is his future alongside Van Dijk. 
  • Options
    I remember watching Joe at a game with my bro and he said to me that Joe will captain England one day. I told him to shut up hes too lazy looking he thinks he is Rio. How wrong i was.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Well done Gomez. First to play for Charlton and also win a Champion's League medal in a long time! 🏅 

Here's a few others to have done it off the top of my head...
    Carson
    Blomqvist

DJIMI FARKING TRAORE

• Options
    Jesper Blomqvist lol what was it 4 games for us?
    I am trying to think of another one now
  • Options
    GEORGE COSTA
  • Options
    Is Gomez the only player to win the Champions League (or European Cup) after playing for us?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Is Gomez the only player to win the Champions League (or European Cup) after playing for us?
    No, Jorge Costa did.
  • Options
    Forgot about Paul Walsh local boy but just before my time so wasnt in my thinking. Costa i should of known tho. Well done scoham