Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2019
    Forgot about Paul Walsh local boy but just before my time so wasnt in my thinking. Costa i should of known tho. Well done scoham
    I remember Paul Walsh, a really promising youngster that went to Tottenham. His parents lived in Basildon Rd, Abbey Wood, just round the corner from where I lived as a kid - I remember knocking on the door and asking for his autograph - slightly out of order, but I was a kid and football crazy. 

Never really prospered at Tottenham (apart from the European final appearance, cough). Probably should have stayed at Charlton a couple more seasons but Charlton were a selling club at the time and didn't keep hold of their decent players for long. Financially the club were not good at the time

Great to see Joe Gomez in the final. Was a brilliant prospect at Charlton and clearly would be playing at the top of the game. He is relatively young as a central defender and still maturing.  I reckon he will be a centre back regular for England if he can stay injury free. 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Shouldn't Scott Carson appear on the list as well  
  • Options
    vff said:
    Forgot about Paul Walsh local boy but just before my time so wasnt in my thinking. Costa i should of known tho. Well done scoham
    I remember Paul Walsh, a really promising youngster that went to Tottenham. His parents lived in Basildon Rd, Abbey Wood, just round the corner from where I lived as a kid - I remember knocking on the door and asking for his autograph - slightly out of order, but I was a kid and football crazy. 

Never really prospered at Tottenham (apart from the European final appearance, cough). Probably should have stayed at Charlton a couple more seasons but Charlton were a selling club at the time and didn't keep hold of their decent players for long. Financially the club were not good at the time. 

Great to see Joe Gomez in the final. Was a brilliant prospect at Charlton and clearly would be playing at the top of the game. He is relatively young as a central defender and still maturing.  I reckon he will be a centre back regular for England if he can stay injury free. 

He was sold to Luton and then on to Liverpool before going to spuds
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    vff said:

Never really prospered at Tottenham (apart from the European final appearance, cough). Probably should have stayed at Charlton a couple more seasons but Charlton were a selling club at the time and didn't keep hold of their decent players for long. Financially the club were not good at the time. 

Wasn't he in the Liverpool losing team at Heisel?

Rarely acknowledges his Charlton beginnings!
  • Options
    I've played golf with Walshie.  He talks Charlton more in real life than on TV.....
  • Options
    Walsh totally lost his goalscoring at Spurs, but at Liverpool before the injuries he was pretty good.  By the 87-88 season, he'd turned into an eye catching but useless in front of goal.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    vff said:

Also Portsmouth?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    lolwray said:
    vff said:

No.

Before his time I believe.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Walsh totally lost his goalscoring at Spurs, but at Liverpool before the injuries he was pretty good.  By the 87-88 season, he'd turned into an eye catching but useless in front of goal.
    Wasn't he played mainly on the wing for Spurs? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    lolwray said:
    vff said:

No.

Before his time I believe.
    Walsh played in Heysel, he started the match
  • Options
    Played the whole match.
  • Options
    Didn't see didn't see all the game but from what I saw much better than Stones, in fact the starting back 4 looked so much better than the other night.
  • Options
    Far better than Stones and with Van Dijk alongside him at Liverpool, Gomez is really going to develop into some player. Congratulations, Joe!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Far better than Stones and with Van Dijk alongside him at Liverpool, Gomez is really going to develop into some player. Congratulations, Joe!
    I have no doubts regarding his ability. I do wonder about his durability given his injury record to date.

His injury record is the one worry I have in terms of him reaching his full potential. Everything else seems to be in place. That was evident when he played right back in the Championship for us.
  • Options
    18/19Ankle SurgeryDec 5, 2018Apr 5, 2019121 days23Liverpool FC
    17/18Ankle SurgeryMay 8, 2018Jul 1, 201854 days2Liverpool FC
    17/18Ankle InjuryMar 23, 2018Apr 20, 201828 days5Liverpool FC
    16/17Achilles tendon problemsJul 15, 2016Nov 20, 2016128 days15Liverpool FC
    15/16Cruciate Ligament InjuryOct 12, 2015Jun 2, 2016234 days52Liverpool FC

Last column is games missed... Given the iniuries he's had, it looks like 2-3 actual issues one that's taken 3-4 attempts to get right.
  • Options
    I thought the most recent one was a broken leg?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The above has classified his tibia injury as an ankle. 

Also it was the opposite leg to the previous ankle injury. Further to this, he was misdiagnosed by the medical team else recovery would have been made 5 weeks sooner.
  • Options
    Quality player, and I wish Joe all the very best in his career still makes me mad we didn’t get a crazy price for him, when you see Van Dyke went for 20 times what we got for Joe.

I know we were league one at the time and desperate for money, but Katrien really did us no favours when it came to getting us a good deal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should definitely sign him 😆
  • Options
    Starts tonight against Norwich
    Dream team bargain 
  • Options
    Really hope he stays injury free this season. Been so stop start for him so far. God knows how good he could be with a full season of games 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Dream team bargain 
    True but there’s a lot of good value in their players like Van Dijk and Robertson and then Salah or Firmino will get points on the board
  • Options
    Really hope he stays injury free this season. Been so stop start for him so far. God knows how good he could be with a full season of games 
    If he stays injury free how long before all the commentators realise what us Charlton fans have all along... that he is so good he carries Van Dijk through games!  😀
  • Options
    A bit uneven this match 😂
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Swisdom said:
    shine166 said:
    Dream team bargain 
    True but there’s a lot of good value in their players like Van Dijk and Robertson and then Salah or Firmino will get points on the board
    I went for gomez Salah and Alisson ....
  • Options
    Hdstreams.club
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Remember a few on here saying this fella is going all the way to the very top after they'd watched him a few times at the valley.

How right they were.
    Wasn’t hard though was it? He was a cut above and without a doubt the best youngster I’d ever seen from our Academy. 
    No, but people said the same about Jenkinson.
    Like chalk and cheese
    Jenkinson was good for a couple of years for Arsenal and had one superb season with West Ham; he has lost his way since. Gomez is a completely different level