Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legia Warsaw 4 - 1 Celtic - Celtic Go Through

Comments

• Options
    Maribor. And to think when I started this thread I was optimistic we wouldn't have to hear anything about them in Europe for the rest of this season. It's bad enough we get coverage of the domestic league. I put it in the same bracket as the League of Wales.
  • Options
    Not surprised with the decision at all, UEFA and all of the national leagues do come down on unregistered and ineligible players like a ton of bricks, they are red hot on it.

Not that it really matters as Celtic and Rangers are both utter shite on the field, barely Championship standard and they will only get worse because they have no money.

Their respective sets of sectarian fuckwits also drive me round the bend, why the fuck people go to football to wave Palestine flags or chant about the Pope I have no idea whatsoever, a total embarrassment to modernity.
  • Options
    Fair play UEFA people moaning about their decision are deluded. Nicolas Anelka has an English ban for 8 matches. He is not registered to play in England and hence his ban will begin next time he registers in England; does anyone see this as unreasonable. The situation with this case is like for like. Did they intend to break the rules no I do not think they did they just did not consider them at all; ignorance is no excuse.

Seems to me that people are moaning about the decision because they dislike Celtic. If Charlton were in this position we would all expect the rules to be followed and us to be put through?

• Options

Fair play UEFA people moaning about their decision are deluded. Nicolas Anelka has an English ban for 8 matches. He is not registered to play in England and hence his ban will begin next time he registers in England; does anyone see this as unreasonable. The situation with this case is like for like. Did they intend to break the rules no I do not think they did they just did not consider them at all; ignorance is no excuse.

Seems to me that people are moaning about the decision because they dislike Celtic. If Charlton were in this position we would all expect the rules to be followed and us to be put through?

Yes there is an element of dislike to Celtic (personally I have no problem with them, I just think the Scottish League is the equivalent of football purgatory and I hate hearing about any of it, whether it be Scottish club teams in Europe or a domestic round up featuring Roddy Forsyth). You raise a good point that if it was Charlton how would we feel? Still pretty embarrassed I reckon. Off the back of a 6-1 aggregate defeat I would be pissed off with the team anyway, then have to have our participation tarnished by the way we got through. Over teams' fans would have a field day.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Yes there is an element of dislike to Celtic (personally I have no problem with them, I just think the Scottish League is the equivalent of football purgatory and I hate hearing about any of it, whether it be Scottish club teams in Europe or a domestic round up featuring Roddy Forsyth). You raise a good point that if it was Charlton how would we feel? Still pretty embarrassed I reckon. Off the back of a 6-1 aggregate defeat I would be pissed off with the team anyway, then have to have our participation tarnished by the way we got through. Over teams' fans would have a field day.
    *other teams' fans
  • Options
    will be even funnier watching Arsenal go out (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    Just heard Celtic have changed their name to Oscar pistorious they've lost both legs but got four shots on target
  • Options
    A completely absurd decision. Infact, it's a non decision. Lacking the courage or wit to actually think about the situation, the buffoons who've made this judgement have just blindly followed the rules.

On any reasonable interpretation Bartosz Bereszynski served his three match ban because he missed the first three matches of Legia Warsaw's European campaign this season. Technically, however, he didn't do so, it seems, because Legia Warsaw didn't register him for the second qualifying round. Two matches he couldn't have played in!! How absurd is that?

Then, as we know, having missed the first leg against Celtic, in order to complete his three match suspension, he came on minutes from the end of the second leg with Legia winning 6-1 on aggregate.

If there was a technical rule breach it was completely irrelevant to the outcome. Why weren't Legia Warsaw simply fined in the way Debrecen were a few years ago?

Legia will obviously appeal. If common sense prevails they'll be reinstated. Celtic ought to be hugely embarrassed and if they have any dignity they'll support the appeal.

Pathetic, but not untypical.

• Options

A completely absurd decision. Infact, it's a non decision. Lacking the courage or wit to actually think about the situation, the buffoons who've made this judgement have just blindly followed the rules.

On any reasonable interpretation Bartosz Bereszynski served his three match ban because he missed the first three matches of Legia Warsaw's European campaign this season. Technically, however, he didn't do so, it seems, because Legia Warsaw didn't register him for the second qualifying round. Two matches he couldn't have played in!! How absurd is that?

Then, as we know, having missed the first leg against Celtic, in order to complete his three match suspension, he came on minutes from the end of the second leg with Legia winning 6-1 on aggregate.

If there was a technical rule breach it was completely irrelevant to the outcome. Why weren't Legia Warsaw simply fined in the way Debrecen were a few years ago?

Legia will obviously appeal. If common sense prevails they'll be reinstated. Celtic ought to be hugely embarrassed and if they have any dignity they'll support the appeal.

I don't think there is an English language scholar in the whole of Christendom who could make sense of that first paragraph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all a joke.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:
    But its not even funny its stupid
  • Options

So your issue is with UEFA following the rules yep that make sense because we like the authorities that quote the rules when it suits them but forgot about them when it’s convenient. Let’s be honest all Celtic supporters were embarrassed by that result but fair play to whoever spotted and exploited the fact that the rules were not followed. I am sure if qualification follows Celtic supporters will enjoy 6 great Champions League matches (minimum) and will savour every minute of it.
  • Options

My problem - as outlined in my previous post - is that a precedent was set in almost identical circumstances in 2010, the offending club got a fine.
  • Options

Algarve your post was in a minority in that it was not having a dig at Celtic. I agree consistency of decision making is absurd it is something we all see week in week out. Providing there has not been a rule change since 2010 there will be very strong grounds for appeal as it can be argued that the punishment is neither consistent or proportional in comparison to the 2010 case
  • Options
    edited August 2014

If Charlton were in this position we would all expect the rules to be followed and us to be put through

Speak for yourself. Even in this day and age, some of us do have a sense of natural justice. If it involved a sub coming on for a few minutes when we were losing 6-1, I'd say we were hammered and I'd much rather we were not given a fake victory.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Stop fucking greetin aboot it then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not surprised with the decision at all, UEFA and all of the national leagues do come down on unregistered and ineligible players like a ton of bricks, they are red hot on it.

Same thing happened to Debrecen a couple of years back (ineligible player on for last few minutes) and UEFA said it had no bearing on the result and they were just given a fine. UEFA are clowns who make it up as they go along.
  • Options

So your issue is with UEFA following the rules yep that make sense because we like the authorities that quote the rules when it suits them but forgot about them when it’s convenient. Let’s be honest all Celtic supporters were embarrassed by that result but fair play to whoever spotted and exploited the fact that the rules were not followed. I am sure if qualification follows Celtic supporters will enjoy 6 great Champions League matches (minimum) and will savour every minute of it.
    No, my issue is not with UEFA following the rules per se. It's a) with an apparent unwillingness to distinguish between a flagrant and deliberate breach (the reason the rule exists) and a simple and innocent technicality and b) with a completely disproportionate punishment. All that's needed is some common sense.

• Options
    UEFA should look at the circumstances and make a decision based on that. Legia obviously didn't mean to break the rules, they didn't know he was banned. So they haven't deliberately gone out to break a rule.

If the guy had played 90 minutes in both legs or scored a vital goal then yes by all means kick them out, but he played for 4 minutes at the end when the tie was won. Should be a slap on the wrist, a fine and tell them to pay more attention to their players suspensions in future. No harm done and i doubt Celtic would've even complained.

Farcical decision.
  • Options

Same thing happened to Debrecen a couple of years back (ineligible player on for last few minutes) and UEFA said it had no bearing on the result and they were just given a fine. UEFA are clowns who make it up as they go along.
    This is incorrect.

Debrecen fielded an ineligible player - the punishment for that is a fine, although in some cases it can also lead to forfeiting the game.

Legia fielded a suspended player - the punishment for that is the automatic forfeiting of the fixture.

Sion were different again because they fielded FIVE ineligible players, all purchased during a transfer ban placed on the club.

They are two different offences so have two different punishments.

• Options

UEFA should look at the circumstances and make a decision based on that. Legia obviously didn't mean to break the rules, they didn't know he was banned. So they haven't deliberately gone out to break a rule.

If the guy had played 90 minutes in both legs or scored a vital goal then yes by all means kick them out, but he played for 4 minutes at the end when the tie was won. Should be a slap on the wrist, a fine and tell them to pay more attention to their players suspensions in future. No harm done and i doubt Celtic would've even complained.

Farcical decision.

Personally don't think the impact that the player makes shouldn't effect any decision, Rules are rules regardless.
  • Options

Farcical decision.

Personally don't think the impact that the player makes shouldn't effect any decision, Rules are rules regardless.
    Exactly, otherwise how can anyone decide if an ineligible player has had an impact or not?

He might play ten minutes and not touch the ball or might come on for 30 seconds and set a move in motion that leads to the winning goal - how do you judge it?
  • Options

Farcical decision.

Exactly, otherwise how can anyone decide if an ineligible player has had an impact or not?

He might play ten minutes and not touch the ball or might come on for 30 seconds and set a move in motion that leads to the winning goal - how do you judge it?
    Common sense?

Thanks for the heads up on the technical difference with Debrecen Ormy. It makes more sense in that context, though why the two offences have different punishments is still hard to fathom.
  • Options

No, my issue is not with UEFA following the rules per se. It's a) with an apparent unwillingness to distinguish between a flagrant and deliberate breach (the reason the rule exists) and a simple and innocent technicality and b) with a completely disproportionate punishment. All that's needed is some common sense.

Can you outlined the actual rule and demonstrate that this is a disproportionarte punishment or are you speculating here. Is Intent needed;does the rule itself distinguish between a accidental breach and a deliberate you would be surpised not all offences do. They are known as strict liability offences.
  • Options
    I honestly think it was a easy mistake to make

they had no idea they needed to register the player as he was suspended, I would of done the same when registering players, I would of thought well he is suspended so don't bother registering him as he wont be able to play
  • Options
    edited August 2014

This is incorrect.

Debrecen fielded an ineligible player - the punishment for that is a fine, although in some cases it can also lead to forfeiting the game.

Legia fielded a suspended player - the punishment for that is the automatic forfeiting of the fixture.

Sion were different again because they fielded FIVE ineligible players, all purchased during a transfer ban placed on the club.

They are two different offences so have two different punishments.

The above is an oversimplification.

The player in question was banned for three games - all parties agree on this.

The player duly did not play in either game of the previous round, nor did he play in the first game against Celtic - all parties agree on this.

Apparently under UEFA rules a player / club must register that the player could play but did not due to suspension.

It appears Legia filled in the paper work for the first game against Celtic but not the games in the previous round.

Legia will probably argue that it was an administrative error and the suspension had been completed. A not unreasonable stance, had they been aware during the previous round of the need to register that the player could play but did not due to suspension, then they surely would have registered him.

It seems likely that whoever deals with resolving any appeal will have to first decide whether it is an administrative error or not.