Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Atletico Clube de Portugal (FT 2-0)

Comments

• Options
    Cheers Phil. Looks like Buyens could be the most enigmatic and difficult to work out player. I need to see him play again.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Just got home to see the score. Can anyone tell me what sort of standard the opposition are?

Worst team of 2nd tier in Portugal
    Pretty sure Sporting Lisbon (as they are known) are in the first tier of Portuguese football....so not a bad result, I would say.
    No that's Sporting Club De Portugal, this was the poor side Atletico Club De Portugal
    Ah, I see. Right you are!
  • Options

I feel a lot better about the squad having watched the 2 games, and I believe we will get a striker and a keeper this week.

I feel a lot better about the squad having read your post. So thanks. I can't wait for the new season to start now.
  • Options
    thanks Phil that's encouraging
  • Options

I feel a lot better about the squad having watched the 2 games, and I believe we will get a striker and a keeper this week.

I feel a lot better about the squad having read your post. So thanks. I can't wait for the new season to start now.
    Took the words out of my mouth, Jessie.

Great to hear from someone who was there.

A quick question though....Are you historically an optimist or pessimist ?

• Options
    seth plum said:

Cheers Phil. Looks like Buyens could be the most enigmatic and difficult to work out player. I need to see him play again.

Buyens is a hard working, tackling midfielder with more passion than football intellect, when it gets rough he ll be there. Scores a goal or three a season ( if i remember correctly) but has been on the bench for a few months, i think he ll do fine as holding midfielder.
  • Options
    How many Charlton out there?

Also, for anyone that went, has anybody brought back any teamsheets and programmes?
  • Options
    Their was probably 75 watching from the bank a rough estimate but not all charlton some just staying at hotel and came down if imagine. No programmes or team sheets.
  • Options

Their was probably 75 watching from the bank a rough estimate but not all charlton some just staying at hotel and came down if imagine. No programmes or team sheets.

Respect to a toddler going to this one.
  • Options

There is a 3rd option, which is a realist !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To answer the question:

I'm not looking to do the club any favours after the way they sold the Frenchman.
    They have a lot of work to do to win back my confidence.
    The Spain matches were the start of that process.
    I guess I went into the 2 matches as a pessimist.
  • Options
    Middlesbrough just gave ACDP a 5-0 spanking this morning. Puts the result in perspective, essentially Portugal 3rd tier quality. Would rate that around low conference level.
  • Options

Maybe I'm more of a pessimist. I must admit the Dowie appointment and what happened subsequently that season left a pretty negative impact on me so since then I always have a bit of reservation about management changes. BUT! I'm definitely not as pessimistic as the pessimists here on CL lol. I hope we'll finish at least a couple of places higher than last season which I think is a reachable goal.
  • Options
    Pigott starting. Why?

Read the match reports, sounds to me like Joe is earning his chance. This is fact finding time, give the lad a chance to show what he can do.
  • Options
    On behalf of the optimists, I believe we might be flirting with the top 6. Can't wait to get to Brentford.
  • Options
    I feel that this is going to be a top 6 or absolute disaster season, can't see it being mid table boredom.

This, added to the fact that I've moved back to London (Docklands) after 14 years exile in Nottingham/ France, has persuaded me to buy my first season ticket for 10 years.

Looking forward to it immensely.
  • Options
    Usually we get pretty scant stuff from the Spain pre-season, so many thanks to Jimmy Stone for keeping the information ticking over. Appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Sold the Frenchman ?
    He turned down a new deal worth over 10 k a week to go to Bournemouth because they offered more money and this is someone who was supposed to love Chatlton ??
    We did not sell him we had no choice because he did not want to stay

Without going over the old ground again - he was our player and had 5 months left on his contract, so no need to sell him.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Sold the Frenchman ?
    He turned down a new deal worth over 10 k a week to go to Bournemouth because they offered more money and this is someone who was supposed to love Chatlton ??

Without going over the old ground again - he was our player and had 5 months left on his contract, so no need to sell him.
    If we hadn't sold him he would have left for free, but we got a transfer fee from selling him in January. It's just good business sense when you think about it......
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Sold the Frenchman ?

If we hadn't sold him he would have left for free, but we got a transfer fee from selling him in January. It's just good business sense when you think about it......
    He was settled in London with his family. Moving to Bournemouth was a big step for him, and not necessarily one he wanted. Not sure why people are sniping Yann out with regards to him deliberately mugging us off, far from true.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2014
    '
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2014
    Granpa said:

On behalf of the optimists, I believe we might be flirting with the top 6. Can't wait to get to Brentford.

'On behalf of the optimists, I believe we might be flirting with the top 6. Can't wait to get to Brentford. BTW. Where did I put my medication again ? Nurse !'.

There you go, fixed it for you ! ;-)
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Sold the Frenchman ?

He was settled in London with his family. Moving to Bournemouth was a big step for him, and not necessarily one he wanted. Not sure why people are sniping Yann out with regards to him deliberately mugging us off, far from true.
    If it wasn't what he wanted then he wouldn't have gone - he would've at least seen out his contract. And moving from Charlton to Bournemouth can hardly be considered a "big step" in any sense of the imagination
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Sold the Frenchman ?

Yep, sell him for 400k and buy Polish Pete for 700k as a replacement.
  • Options
    Move on. George will thrill us and score more often.