Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Atletico Clube de Portugal (FT 2-0)

edited July 2014 in General Charlton
Later today, up in the hills of Mijas.

A not very funny story on Mijas. 25 years ago AFKA here was a poorly bunny on a family holiday as 8 of us squeezed into a Fiat Panda for a trip up to Mijas. my dad had been advised to make sure there was no ice in my drinks, and had been advised that the Spanish for 'ice' was 'hielo'. My dad is also one of these people who only ever knows around 4 words in a foreign language, but will put on the strongest Delboy-style pronounciation possible when saying those words.

So off he trots to the bar to order his cerverza and my orange juice, and with full gustu accompanied by the criss-crossing of hands, he told the barman in no uncertain terms 'NO HIELO'. Except my dad's overhammed pronounciation sounded more like 'No Julio'.

The barman looked bemused, went 'no Julio? what do you mean no Julio'. So my dad criss-crossed his hands again, repeated 'no Julio' and turned to sit back at our table. With that, the barman mumbled, turned off the radio that was playing Julio Englais, and brought our drinks over to the table. With ice in.

Told you it wasn't very funny. Come on you reds !

Comments

• bonnet de douche..
  • I rckon your dad was right
  • Good call by your dad, if a bit pushy in a new bar.
  • When is kick off?
  • Is this meant to be a joke?

Or is it a true story?
  • When is kick off?

website just said 'this evening'

• When is kick off?

7pm according to the OS, so it must be true Henry! :)

A work mate is out there. Not a Charlton or even really a football fan. He's out there with rugby mates on a golf tour. Called me yesterday to say their villa is about 600 yards from the pitch, with a bar in between. They're strolling over this evening with a stop-off for a couple of crates...could be a bit of noisy competition for Seb & Co!!
  • TelMc32 said:

When is kick off?

A work mate is out there. Not a Charlton or even really a football fan. He's out there with rugby mates on a golf tour. Called me yesterday to say their villa is about 600 yards from the pitch, with a bar in between. They're strolling over this evening with a stop-off for a couple of crates...could be a bit of noisy competition for Seb & Co!!

I think it said 7pm local time which would be 6pm here.

• Richard J said:

TelMc32 said:

When is kick off?

I think it said 7pm local time which would be 6pm here.

Actually it didn't, which is why I was equally vague :)

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140718-acdp-preview-1768674.aspx
  • Sponsored links:

• Im going to this game later. looking forward to it.
  • @Mosscat Can you do a signature dance from the 80s, like a headspin or something?
  • no sorry. too hot here. cant remember much of the 80s.
  • Kermorgant hat trick in half hour for Bournemouth today
  • They are playing Dorchester as well, who are shocking
  • Nadou said:

cafc4life said:

Kermorgant hat trick in half hour for Bournemouth today

I really hope we don't get posts like this every week if the Breton scores - all it can do is make some people miserable and other people angry. At the very least if people are determined to keep living in the past put it on a thread with his name so that people can avoid it if they wish.

Best stay off the match threads next season then. You get mentions of the lisbies, the mooneys, the smiths.
  • Nadou said:

cafc4life said:

Kermorgant hat trick in half hour for Bournemouth today

I really hope we don't get posts like this every week if the Breton scores - all it can do is make some people miserable and other people angry. At the very least if people are determined to keep living in the past put it on a thread with his name so that people can avoid it if they wish.

Best stay off the match threads next season then. You get mentions of the lisbies, the mooneys, the smiths.
    Yes, but, they're not doing anything good. Yann on the other hand...
  • When is kick off?

I heard on Weds that it was 7pm local time for tonight's game.

Also heard a whisper of 2 more new arrivals for us this week, one of whom uses gloves, but it's only tittle tattle.
  • Sponsored links:

• 6pm our time according to futbal 24 which is a really good live score app.
  • Charlton: Pope, Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Ben Haim; Gudmundsson, Harriott, Jackson, Buyens; Pigott, Vetokele
  • Still no Moussa.. He is on the tour so must have a minor injury
  • Not far of first team tonight
    Solly instead of Wilson
    Bikey instead of Ben Haim
    Tucudean instead of Pigott
  • Like the way Peeters is mixing up the starting 11. Hope he's learning from it...
  • Bit concerned about the lack of game time Solly has had. 45 mins over the 3.5 games played so far.
  • Can't wait for kick off , bring it on.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 3m
    For those asking Franck Moussa has picked up a small knock and won't be involved today. #cafc #CAFCInSpain
  • Pigott starting. Why?
  • Pigott starting. Why?

surely the question is why not