Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

worst charlton eleven,,,,,,

Comments

• Options
    JFH
    That goalkeeper Mullery bought .
  • Options

Cant believe Bob Curtis was slung in this thread, was only a nipper when he played for us, but, I liked him.
    Edit: Paul ? was "slung in"

Bob Curtis was a top bloke. Liked a pint or two. Paul Curtis was late 70's / early 80's (I think)
  • Options

It is difficult to talk about worst ever players without considering the context - for example any player only on the fringe of the squad in the League One seasons would by definition be amongst the worst players in recent memory.

Conversely the likes of Shaun Bartlett, Bryan Hughes and Dennis Rommedahl were (for me) extremely limited relative to the level they were being asked to perform at, yet superior to virtually any player in today's squad.

i agree that this is a difficult process. For example, not too many of us watched the mike small legendary performance for us, but that brief showing was so poor that he has to be nailed on for the eleven.
    I wouldn't include Bartlett though. How can you, when he scored the goal of the season in the top flight?
  • Options
    Bartlett was our second best premiership striker after Bent IMHO. Not that he has a lot of competition!
  • Options
    Agree with some of the others. Mike Small first name on the team sheet. Utter pony.
  • Options

Hulse Has to be upfront
    Seabourne has to be at LB although it is tight with him and Evina and Frimpong has to be CM

Worst Charlton team ever and 4 are from the last two years? You haven't been following Charlton for long if you think that's as bad as it gets!

Mike Small is a must
    Mark McCammon on the back of that 1 sub appearance
    Tom Hovi

Petterson made the best Valley save EVER at home to Palace . Banks-esque.

And Ammann was solid. They should be nowhere near.
    I am only 24, plus they stick in my memory
  • Options

It is difficult to talk about worst ever players without considering the context - for example any player only on the fringe of the squad in the League One seasons would by definition be amongst the worst players in recent memory.

Conversely the likes of Shaun Bartlett, Bryan Hughes and Dennis Rommedahl were (for me) extremely limited relative to the level they were being asked to perform at, yet superior to virtually any player in today's squad.

Trust you to bring some sense and reflection for this thread!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    In my Era:

Goalkeeper: Yohann Thuram
    Left-Back: Djimi Traore
    Centre-Back: Gary Doherty
    Centre-Back: Talal El-Khalej
    Right-Back: Simon Francis
    Right-Midfield: Tom Soares
    Centre-Midfield: Omar Pouso
    Centre-Midfield: Amdy Faye
    Left-Midfield: Scott Sinclair
    Striker: Frank Nouble
    Striker: Pawel Abbott

Honourable Mention to: Keith Gillespie.. Gary Borrowdale
  • Options
    Kenny Achampong
    Peter Shaw
    Jesper Blomqvist
    Neil Redfearn
  • Options
    Caig
    Butterfield Doc El Kalej Spector
    McOxo Soares Faye
    McCammon Abbott Small
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely Joe McLaughlin and Paddy McCarthy deserve a mention? Spongefoot nailed on!
  • Options

Caig
    Butterfield Doc El Kalej Spector
    McOxo Soares Faye
    McCammon Abbott Small

wowsers that team would struggle in the Conference
  • Options
    francis jeffers could make the bench
  • Options
    I keep seeing Hugh McCauley's name crop up on threads like this but from memory I actually liked him. Is it because he was Pee Wee's replacement on the wing? Or was he really that bad?
  • Options
    David Mooney.
  • Options
    If we are going to play a front three then it has to be Mark McCammon, Johnny Østergaard and Frank Nouble.

Somewhat unrealistic I know if only for the fact that they wouldn't all be able to turn at the same time for fear of bumping into each other on the somewhat small Valley pitch.

I remember being excited when our two foreign recruits Viggo Jacobsen and Østergaard arrived. I couldn't understand why they weren't regulars as they were foreign so, by definition, they had to be good. It took me a while to work it out by which time they were on their way.
  • Options

I keep seeing Hugh McCauley's name crop up on threads like this but from memory I actually liked him. Is it because he was Pee Wee's replacement on the wing? Or was he really that bad?

Hugh wasn't our greatest winger, but he was Okish from memory.
  • Options

If we are going to play a front three then it has to be Mark McCammon, Johnny Østergaard and Frank Nouble.

Somewhat unrealistic I know if only for the fact that they wouldn't all be able to turn at the same time for fear of bumping into each other on the somewhat small Valley pitch.

I remember being excited when our two foreign recruits Viggo Jacobsen and Østergaard arrived. I couldn't understand why they weren't regulars as they were foreign so, by definition, they had to be good. It took me a while to work it out by which time they were on their way.

Good shout. Jacobsen brought a new dimension to the term "lightweight", while Ostergaard was in the wrong sport - he was actually a Danish ice-hockey international.

• Options
    Worst XI in Premiership

Petterson (just watch 98/99 season review, hardly saved anything);
    Traore (started badly by getting sent off, then injured, then poor performances then sold)
    El Khalej (Just terrible)
    Tiler (might be harsh but i never rated him.)
    Thatcher (steady player but total liability especially against Blackburn);
    Redfearn (a good player going forward but asked to play defensively hence his poor performances)
    Bart-Williams (Was not good enough when he joined, didn’t hold down a place)
    Faye (Started great then seemed to get worse and worse);
    JFH (one season too far in the premiership sadly for us)
    S. Jones (not a premiership striker, played a lot in 98/99 and only scored one goal)
    M. Bent (started well but didnt score goals or create or seem to do much in a game)

Honourable mentions to: Omar Pouso, Jesper Blomqvist, Post 2001 Matt Svensson

• Options
    edited June 2014

A worst eleven from players who were more than "fleeting" such as Hovi, El Khalej etc. The players in my eleven reached double figures in terms of appearances I think and if it transpires that any of them didn't it certainly felt like it at the time!

Bellotti ( harsh but goalkeeper is one position we've been relatively well served in my 50 years of support)

Friar

Hazell

Setters

Ferns

Carl Harris (controversial maybe but I never took to him and thought he was poor)

Churchouse

Bullivant (expensive by our standards but Charlie rap)

Lee Cook

Endean

Wilson (Richard)

Tomorrow it will be different....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know it's an old chestnut, but I never tire of ridiculing Mike Small. That game at the New Den - he'd still be lumbering to get back onside as we were mounting our next attack...
  • Options
    Thuram
    Francis
    Traore
    Doherty
    McCarthy
    Milne
    Faye
    Bacon
    Blomqvist
    Nouble
    Abbott
  • Options
    Can't believe it took so long for Ralph to get a namecheck. Maybe it's because he's too obvious.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Cant believe Bob Curtis was slung in this thread, was only a nipper when he played for us, but, I liked him.
    Edit: Paul ? was "slung in"

Bob Curtis was a top bloke. Liked a pint or two. Paul Curtis was late 70's / early 80's (I think)
    Then perhaps we should be more forgiving. I respect any pensioner who can still play top tier football.
  • Options

He had one good game against Spurs in 1977 but that was it ...
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Jim Stannard
    Paul Curtis
    Dietmar Bruck
    Phil Chapple
    Bobby goldthorpe
    Alan Ellis
    Brendan O'Connell
    Alan McCormack
    Hugh McCauly
    Barry Endean
    Mike Small

No way Bob Curtis, one of the best right backs we have had in my opinion.

• Options
    Brian said:

_MrDick said:

Jim Stannard
    Paul Curtis
    Dietmar Bruck
    Phil Chapple
    Bobby goldthorpe
    Alan Ellis
    Brendan O'Connell
    Alan McCormack
    Hugh McCauly
    Barry Endean
    Mike Small

No way Bob Curtis, one of the best right backs we have had in my opinion.

Just realised you have said Paul Curtis not Bob. Sorry.

• Options
    Thank you for mentioning Gary Churchouse, Len.

From the late 60s, remember the ponderous Jack Burkett at left back and lightning winger Paul Hince, who couldn't run actually with the ball?

We shouldn't confuse hard working players who were giving their best to play in a division above their level, with those hopelessly out of their depth.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Thank you for mentioning Gary Churchouse, Len.

From the late 60s, remember the ponderous Jack Burkett at left back and lightning winger Paul Hince, who couldn't run actually with the ball?

We shouldn't confuse hard working players who were giving their best to play in a division above their level, with those hopelessly out of their depth.

I thought of both of those names Oggy but wasn't sure if they passed my self-imposed 10 game rule, Burkett in particular.

If Hince did he really ought to go into my X1 ahead of Carl Harris because he was indeed truly awful.

Hope all is well with you and that that bloke running around with a gun in your neck of the woods today keeps out of your way!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I remember Carl Harris having some great games, Len - particularly remember his great mazy run and finish to score our winner at Leeds in 1980 something.

The gunman incident seems a bit of a domestic by all accounts - it's not my patch but not that far away, near Looe.
    We're not used to this down here in Sunny Cornwall.