Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Wood medical at Rotherham (p4 - gone)

Comments

• If you're good enough, you're old enough
  • edited June 2014
    Good shout, I'd forgotten Peter Reeves.

Big Dave Shipperley also.

Richie Bowman.

• edited June 2014
    I'm on a roll here ...... Mark Penfold - at the time, youngest Charlton debutant at 16.

• Great thread. Completely hijacked. Sorry Richard Wood haha

• Greenie said:

Not a lot of people know this but Franz Beckenbauer was 7 when he made his full international debut for West Germany.

Bloody hell. That is young.
  • Where is the Richard Wood thread ?
  • Where is the Richard Wood thread ?

in Rotherham?

• madadd said:

Richard Wood is toilet, would rather give a youngster a chance like Joe Gomez

A 17 year old CB playing against some very lethal strikers, his confidence could take a battering before he's even 18. Needs a lot more time, it's playing with his future in the game, needs a loan spell like Popey first.
    normally I would agree with you, however JG is 'different gravy' he is pure class and makes it look easy, most exciting player I have watched in a long time

Yes but he has not made marking Championship strikers look easy .. hes made 16-18 year old strikers look easy..

Gomez is FAR to young to be starting in championship he is to learn at the moment and would be dominated by someone like Yann Kermorgant.

I admire your believe in our young players and love the fact your backing him but honestly .. he is no where near ready yet

A nice loan to a league 2 club will do him very well
    Thank you for admiring 'my belief'... I am very comfortable with it and having watched 'the youngsters' play week in and week out for the past 4 years and witnessed the drubbings they gave the 1st team in their training ground friendlies on more than one occasion I am also quite confident the club should be introducing some of them to the bigger stage at an earlier point in their development. I also feel in the case of JG a league 2 loan would b a backward step and could probably manage a league 1 loan quite easily....but it's just an opinion :)
  • I presume there was never a medical at Rotherham ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I presume there was never a medical at Rotherham ?

Heard they couldn't find the stethoscope.

• So who's got Wood?

:)
  • Ahem...morning glory and all that
  • Is it every player who made their debut at 16 or 17 who has gone on to play for England?
  • BYE RICHARD
  • Move on
  • Good Luck
  • edited June 2014

DeadDick Wood

oo err missus...
  • Sponsored links:

• So Morrison and a new signing (to replace Dervite) as first choice pairing. Let's see who arrives. Then we have Lennon and Gomez learning their trade - all good.
    Thanks Richard Wood. We all move on ;)

• Blimey, his medical must have finished already.

• i Heard we are looking for a CB but Morrison & Lennon is what Bob Peeters would prefer
  • So Morrison and a new signing (to replace Dervite) as first choice pairing. Let's see who arrives. Then we have Lennon and Gomez learning their trade - all good.
    Thanks Richard Wood. We all move on ;)

Hmmm. First we need to see a new signing if there is one and he has to be at least as good as Dervite was becoming. Last season everyone was fretting over a lack of strikers but the lack of defensive cover is potentially even more alarming.

The business model is to play Lennon while Gomez develops but if he's up to it and I do hope so because I like him, that doesn't allow for injuries, suspensions, illness, loss of form, competition for places, loss of confidence or, perish the thought, someone from Chelsea ringing him up and saying "we like the cut of your jib, young man".

So I wouldn't go as far as saying "all good" but then it's only just the start of pre-season training and new wood could be on it's way. We have effectively gone from Morro Wood Dervite Cort and Lennon to Morro Lennon and (just?) one vacancy.
  • need another CB now at least. Would be happy with Lennon and another battling i out to start with Morro with Gomez 4th choice.
  • Good luck Richard. When he came down to East Kent Addicks he said that his family were still up north, so this move makes sense.
  • Good luck to him other then two games this coming season, thanks for what he did in a Charlton shirt last season, i liked him as a player.