Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Igor Vetokele (ed. Pg 27 - back in training)***

Comments

• Options

J BLOCK said:

Mate had a chat wih him, said Bulot is a no go

Like to see Haynes back, two inverted wingers cutting in and can also play upfront. Unattached, got to be cheap and I believe he played 20 games in 2nd half of last season, albeit not many goals. Still only 27 and the quickest player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt, Dennis included.
    This is almost as bad an idea as your annual suggestion that we re-sign Connor Gough!
    You got me there Clem!
  • Options
    I wonder if Charlton should considered putting on a stand up night, with performances from and to Charlton supporters.

Some absolute brilliant comedians on here.

I think my sides would split.
  • Options
    Oh no they wouldn't
  • Options
    Haynes could have been a top championship player had he not had hamstrings made of glass
  • Options

Haynes could have been a top championship player had he not had hamstrings made of glass

Against Derby, after his wonder strike, I remember thinking that he was far too good a player for us. With confidence he was capable of running rings, literally, around defences and utterly destroying them.

Unfortunately, as I was musing that particular thought he went off in tears because he did his hamstring in.. celebrating if I remember rightly? Such a waste of talent, I do think he could've gone to the top with his pace and skill.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Against Derby, after his wonder strike, I remember thinking that he was far too good a player for us. With confidence he was capable of running rings, literally, around defences and utterly destroying them.

Unfortunately, as I was musing that particular thought he went off in tears because he did his hamstring in.. celebrating if I remember rightly? Such a waste of talent, I do think he could've gone to the top with his pace and skill.
    Think it went when he took the shot.
  • Options
    His goal against Leicester was even better than the one against Derby...
  • Options
    Haynes had no bottle. He was scared every time he went near Danny Shifty in that Millwall game.
  • Options

Haynes had no bottle. He was scared every time he went near Danny Shifty in that Millwall game.

Bit unfair to single Danny out, is there one Charlton player who hasn't completely lost his bottle against Millwall in recent years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome to this Danny Haynes thread.

• Options
    Rumoured as an option for Standard Liege.

Source: http://www.voetbalbelgie.be/nl/article.php?id=97711 (Dutch)
  • Options
    Got the impression last season that Igor was very happy to be at Charlton and grateful for the support from the stands. If he can sort his achilles out he could have a great season and I don't see him going anywhere
  • Options
    Quite an encouraging read. Sounds like he's being careful and getting the right treatment and won't be rushed back before he is fully fit.
  • Options
    Vetokele still ended as top-scorer with 11 goals but failed to score in 23 of the last 26 games he featured in.

Wow. I rate Igor though and he was clearly injured for most of those games and / or played up top on his own by Peeters. Looking forward to a full season with Igor and Watt and Big Simon.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Decent article. The only thing missing, is the most important bit.

How is his achilles ? Will he be 100% fit, for the start of the season ?

Presumably, the answer is no, because if the answer is yes, he would have said so.

Anyway, I have a lot of time for Vetokele, for playing for 7 months, with a painful injury.

I'm not sure I would have.
  • Options

Decent article. The only thing missing, is the most important bit.

How is his achilles ? Will he be 100% fit, for the start of the season ?

Presumably, the answer is no, because if the answer is yes, he would have said so.

Anyway, I have a lot of time for Vetokele, for playing for 7 months, with a painful injury.

I'm not sure I would have.

Agreed, I think back to that goal we scored v Leeds, the equalizer, penalty from Buyens. Igor was nowhere near the box when the keeper parried JBG's shot and still managed to bust a gut and beat both defenders there to then get fouled and win the penalty. Lot of time for him also and found peoples criticizing of him quite infuriating at times last year.
  • Options
    He did have an absolute worldie performance away at Wigan which I never hear anyone talking about.

He scored a brilliant goal too
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I thought he got away with murder with his "injury". He was woefully short of confidence and missed a lot of easy chances. Some games his control was totally abysmal as was his alround performance. He did have the odd good game in the second half the season.

He just seemed to be playing way worse than a player with a niggle.

Willing to give him a chance this season but not holding my breath on him bettering his goal tally of 11 goals this coming season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought he got away with murder with his "injury". He was woefully short of confidence and missed a lot of easy chances. Some games his control was totally abysmal as was his alround performance. He did have the odd good game in the second half the season.

Willing to give him a chance this season but not holding my breath on him bettering his goal tally of 11 goals this coming season.

Now I have concerns over the seriousness of Igors injury but I think it's a little unfair to say it was a niggle.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

He was playing, in pain, with an achilles injury, for 7 MONTHS !.

Any fool could see, that he couldn't run properly, he couldn't jump, he couldn't control the ball.

In short, he shouldn't have been on the pitch.

The only reason he played, was because the alternative, would have been, Church, Pigott or KAG, as we had sold Kermorgant and literally had NO decent alternative forwards, before January and only Watt after.

Give Vetokele a break. He more than deserves it. Poor sod.
    I didn't see it. I think you just typed what the general consesous was.

He raced clear several times and fluffed his lines.

Its simple, if he wasn't fit he wouldn't of played.

LIKE EVERY OTHER MEMBER OF THE SQUAD.

Do you really think the club would jepordise an expensive signing by playing him if he was so injured he couldn't run?

Just for the record i never booed him or give him any stick. Just an opinion, sorry if its against the main but its a forum.
  • Options
    All those defenders who THINK they've found Igor out may very well be in for a nasty shock if they come up against an Igor at full capacity and firing on all cylinders. Whether through injury, confidence or both, he was visibly struggling in the second half of the season with chances he was burying without a second thought in the first. He lost speed and control, his main strengths. He was forced to jump against CBs a foot taller and half again as wide. We get the early season Igor back, and match him up with Makienok's physical power and Watt's bag of tricks and there is not a defence in the division who will sleep easy knowing what they are up against. If he's still stuck in his late season rut, then we need to hope there's either another striker inbound, KAG steps up, or both.

Problem is, even if he has/does heal to full physical fitness, will he manage to get his head back together also? I hope so, but I feel this is going to be the real struggle he faces more than any recurrence of the actual injury itself.
  • Options

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Any fool could see, that he couldn't run properly, he couldn't jump, he couldn't control the ball.

The only reason he played, was because the alternative, would have been, Church, Pigott or KAG, as we had sold Kermorgant and literally had NO decent alternative forwards, before January and only Watt after.

Do you really think the club would jepordise an expensive signing by playing him if he was so injured he couldn't run?

Yes, they clearly did exactly that.
  • Options
    Stonewall, I knew anyway, but have you read this ?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yes, they clearly did exactly that.
    But then when JBG was injured he was eased back

Stonewall, I knew anyway, but have you read this ?

I read it before. He wasn't 100% granted but he was playing as if his confidence was so low. He couldn't control the ball for what seemed months. Just saying i think it was much more than his injury and I believe he won't be blasting away the championship next season like some are hoping.

I hope I am wrong and he gets 30.
  • Options
    If he's fully fit, plays, has a good partner alongside him & some decent assists, he should get 20.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

If he's fully fit, plays, has a good partner alongside him & some decent assists, he should get 20.

That's a start.