Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Igor Vetokele (ed. Pg 27 - back in training)***

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Scoham said:

Assuming Church goes we need 2 strikers as it is. Igor has some obvious weaknesses in his game but 11 goals in his first season over here as a 22/23 year old isn't bad. Especially when the team had a very poor run and he's clearly struggled with fitness/injuries at times.

Far too early to write him off for me. Give him pre-season to get fully fit. Bring in 2 new strikers for competition and to allow us to rotate/rest as necessary. Having those options will make a big difference.

In my view the strikers we bring in need to be different types of striker to what we currently have! I'd say we need one kermorgant type number nine who is good in the air and good on the ground can receive the ball with his back to goal and hold it up! That is key! If we seriously want to compete at the top end of the table we also need an old fashioned battering ram type striker! A big old lump who you hoof the ball to and he can cause problems in the box! It's not pretty but sometimes in this league it needs to be done! It's useful to have that option to come off the bench and make things happen!

As I say If we seriously want to compete at the top end of the table we need that! And it needs to be on top of any youth players who may or may not be ready! And on top of any punts we take on young players who may or may not adapt to the league/make it!

And it goes without saying we need to keep Igor and watt!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I find it so bizarre that anyone who know anything about championship football, knows it mandatory to have at least one striker out of your 4 strikers who is good in the air. when your defending corners as much as when your attacking and taking your own corners.
    we all love seeing the ball played to feet, but even in the Prem as Fellaini has shown at United, you need to be able to get headers in as well.
    Not instead of the ball on the desk but as well as.
    Yoni and Johann both said this was lacking in the team this season.
    Don't mind us giving a chance to a young strong striker in division 1 or 2.
    some day we might find an Austin or Ings who come from the lower leagues.
  • Options

I find it so bizarre that anyone who know anything about championship football, knows it mandatory to have at least one striker out of your 4 strikers who is good in the air. when your defending corners as much as when your attacking and taking your own corners.
    we all love seeing the ball played to feet, but even in the Prem as Fellaini has shown at United, you need to be able to get headers in as well.
    Not instead of the ball on the desk but as well as.
    Yoni and Johann both said this was lacking in the team this season.
    Don't mind us giving a chance to a young strong striker in division 1 or 2.
    some day we might find an Austin or Ings who come from the lower leagues.

How about that Smith fella we released! I hear he's done quite well in the lower leagues!
  • Options
    Don't know if Igor will be better next year but I do know that we have broken the Charlton Life record for exclamation marks in one post ;) Nobody can say you lack passion in your club cantersaddick.

!
  • Options
    The other consideration is which of our 'flop' strikers (if any) come back, Reza, Piotr and Tucedean are all out on loan.
  • Options

The other consideration is which of our 'flop' strikers (if any) come back, Reza, Piotr and Tucedean are all out on loan.

I think George was hard done by! He showed in flashes that he was up to league he just needed to add that consistency to his gang! That takes time when adapting to a new league in a new country! I'd have liked to have seen him given a whole year here and assess where he is at the beginning of next season! He is exactly the type of striker we are missing he can receive the ball with his back to goal hold it up as well as being good on the ground! He was in no way the finished article but given time he could have got there! Yann wasn't exactly tearing it up at 23...

If nothing else he'd be a better option off the bench than what we currently have!

As for the others if Reza doesn't want to be here then I don't want him here! And I think it's clear Pete is not (yet?) Up to championship standard!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    didn't George go on loan until end of next season?
  • Options
    Agree with most of the sense being talked on here.

For a first season in the Championship he has done well and showed bags of potential. Yes, he tailed off after a very bright start but injuries and the team's general downturn in form are more than acceptable reasons for that.

With a good pre-season under their belts both he and Watt should be major threats for us next season.
  • Options

For a first season in the Championship he has done well and showed bags of potential. Yes, he tailed off after a very bright start but injuries and the team's general downturn in form are more than acceptable reasons for that.

With a good pre-season under their belts both he and Watt should be major threats for us next season.

Just need those strikers to complement them...
  • Options

JBG mentioned that Igor still does not take part in all training activities, so I think it is early to write him off.

My recollection was that KM was hoping to meet her player sales budget using these guys that were important to the squad. Obviously the right offer for any player will see them go.
  • Options
    George is on loan until the end of next season, anyway.
  • Options
    Has scored 4-goals in 14-matches for Steaua... managed 3-goals in 23-matches for us...

Know the standard of the opposition is different in Romania but the goal is in the same place / same size (i.e. the bad luck he had against Millwall and Reading where he didnt really have a defender opposing him)
  • Options
    Useless stat for you, Quite shocked really to find out Simon Francis has got more assists this season than Igor, although Igor has more goals.
  • Options

Useless stat for you, Quite shocked really to find out Simon Francis has got more assists this season than Igor, although Igor has more goals.

Has Igor made more tackles than Francis though? ;)
  • Options
    Bump

I'm starting to worry about Igor. I felt confident that with a summers rest and a full pre season behind him that he could come back firing on full cylinders. The Igor of early last season.

Already we know he's not fully functioning so presumably not going to get a 100% pre season. Always seems to me that players that don't get a good pre season never really seem to get up to speed.

I suppose the tour in Belgium will tell us more but if he is still carrying that Achilles problem then I can't see this season being much better than last for Igor. We need four strikers and can only consider KAG as fourth choice out of necessity rather than him being completely ready to step up. If Igor isn't fit enough to be considered every week we are in trouble.

• Options
    Igor has had only 2 weeks off during the close season (to get married) The rest of time was rehab on his Achilles. States in the SLP that needs to manage his body and the achilles through the season. The hard grounds won't help the injury either.

Also like Jackson, he made a comment of getting more signings into the squad sooner rather than later. He states we don't have a full squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defiantly still looked injured yesterday was very much walking with a limp.
  • Options
    Mate had a chat wih him, said Bulot is a no go
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Haynes, are you sure? Is that the same Danny Haynes who was released by Notts County and is now playing for Cheltenham?
  • Options
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    "Quickest player I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt"

Someone's been playing a bit to much FIFA / Football Manager
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The same Danny Haynes that Cheltenham released after they were relegated to the Conference?

His career since since leaving us - http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=42198
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Scoham said:

The same Danny Haynes that Cheltenham released after they were relegated to the Conference?

Yes that one. Bournemouth defence, most of whom now in Prem, he scared sh1tless down there. I think you'll find we are shopping at Lidl until RD sells us. Better the devil you know.......