Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - not in the running for manager says Cawley (summer 2022 p6)

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink: the man who couldn't celebrate a goal against Chelsea at the Jimmy Seed end because he cared more about the feelings of the odious  Chelsea fans than Cafc fans.

Now his agent has put his name in the frame for Cafc yet again; must be the seven year itch.

No, No, No, we have Jacko,
    Jimmy Floyd, can go, go, go.
    When scoring he kept his shirt on
    His odds now have gone for a Burton. 
    This is the sort of thing where fans are massively hypocritical. I personally have no issues with players paying respect to their previous clubs and I've seen our fans cop the hump plenty of times!
    Don't celebrate, fine, but don't do what he did - he threw his arms up like an "oopsie, sorry everyone" and then got a round of applause from the chelsea fans. Completely killed any sense of momentum we could've gained from him scoring. I also think it was his first goal for us. 
    Not sure I agree with that to be honest, can't see the relevance. 

Can you image Clive Mendonca, a Sunderland lad not celebrating at Wembley and imploring his Cafc colleges to give more for the cause after each goal he scored. It definitely gave the positive message to the team to give 100% for the victory.
    No battle, No Victory.

I agree you don't want to see a double summersault or ex players cupping their ears at you but he looked like he was going to cry FFS. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    JFH only scored for us against teams he had previously played for. That was 2 goals. Imagine if he were manager and that statistic continued as our manager. Maybe we may win 3 games.
    Did he play for Chesterfield?
    He scored against Chelsea and Middlesbrough for us iirc

As I said above, I remember the goal at the Valley, where I thought he had a tap in after good work by Darren Bent.

Did JFH celebrate the goal against Middlesbrough, or did he look sad like he did against Chelsea ?
    No idea. He generally ran a little bit and hot paid a lot. A disappointing signing 

Was he like Paulo Di Canio. Not one bit. You could not avoid warming to Paolo. He was simply magic. 

Days after the penalty scored against Arsenal, De Canio was in the Valley shop and Soapbox Junior was in the queue to have his picture taken with him.  I was only going to have time to say a few words with the crazy passionate Italian ? So I said: "when did you decide where to put the penalty" ?

" When I look deep into the keepers eyes"

Replied De Canio, as his piercing eyes looked deep into my soul and I couldn't move, just like the Arsenal keeper.
  • Options
    Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink: the man who couldn't celebrate a goal against Chelsea at the Jimmy Seed end because he cared more about the feelings of the odious  Chelsea fans than Cafc fans.

Now his agent has put his name in the frame for Cafc yet again; must be the seven year itch.

This is the sort of thing where fans are massively hypocritical. I personally have no issues with players paying respect to their previous clubs and I've seen our fans cop the hump plenty of times!
    Don't celebrate, fine, but don't do what he did - he threw his arms up like an "oopsie, sorry everyone" and then got a round of applause from the chelsea fans. Completely killed any sense of momentum we could've gained from him scoring. I also think it was his first goal for us. 
    To make make matters worse, his only other goal was against Middlesbrough and if I remember rightly he had a face like a slapped arse at that one too.
  • Options

Can you image Clive Mendonca, a Sunderland lad not celebrating at Wembley and imploring his Cafc colleges to give more for the cause after each goal he scored. It definitely gave the positive message to the team to give 100% for the victory.
    No battle, No Victory.

I agree you don't want to see a double summersault or ex players cupping their ears at you but he looked like he was going to cry FFS. 
    Mendonca never played for Sunderland though. JFH was a star for Chelsea

Imagine if Kinsella had scored for Villa against us, he wouldn't have celebrated
  • Options
    JFH has done really well as a manager at Burton, but struggled elsewhere. Sometimes managers just click at a club, but I imagine he must be frustrated that he hasn't succeeded elsewhere,at a bigger club
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b5u5IWSuPA

here's the hasselbaink goal vs chelsea - as you can see he looked devastated scoring - admittedly a pretty decent finish. 
  • Options

here's the hasselbaink goal vs chelsea - as you can see he looked devastated scoring - admittedly a pretty decent finish. 

Thanks for showing that clip Kent addick even though it proved my memory was wrong in the build up to the goal and it wasn't a tap in ! Good to see the flying Dane (I don't mean TS !) with a good assist and Jimmy with a good finish.

Clapping the Chelsea fans after the goal just seems wrong. No problem with before and after a game if you had a good rapport.

• Options
    Richard J said:
    I started this thread seven years ago. 

I stand by my comment that you couldn't pick a more unpopular ex player to be a manager. 
    I agree, even with Scott Parker there’d be a sense of the prodigal son returning. 
  • Options

No battle, No Victory.

Mendonca never played for Sunderland though. JFH was a star for Chelsea

Imagine if Kinsella had scored for Villa against us, he wouldn't have celebrated FACT
    Is that a known fact ?
    It is now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find it odd that Hasselbaink would leave his manager role at Burton to fill the open position on Jacko’s coaching staff, but that’s the kind of draw CAFC is. Personally, I think we should look elsewhere.
  • Options

I couldn't care less that JFH looked embarrassed scoring against Chelsea

It's his performances in the 36 games against other opponents which were the problem...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Bit of a drama queen.

Jimmy, you scored a goal...and it was for Charlton. The club that you played for...who were paying your wages.

Should have requested sitting your fat arse on the bench before a ball was kicked.

Surprised to see rommedahl playing. It was the season we got relegated?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richard J said:
    I started this thread 8 years ago and standby what I said then. I cannot think of an ex player who is held in such low regard by our fanbase. 
    Absolutely right. I said something similar on another thread but just got criticised by @Covered End for having the temerity to give my opinion and live in France.
  • Options
    I thought Riga was a decent manager. He certainly didn't stick to one style or one set of players but used the squad well and was a good man manager 
    We need someone like that now.
    The Riga who was appointed by Roland?

Scary as it is - I am not sure I trust Tommy as much as Roland to make a managerial decision as good as that.
  • Options
    what is Riga up to these days? considering some of the betting odds Carrick? Robbie Fowler!?!) i'm surprised he isn't in there tbh 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I started this thread 8 years ago and standby what I said then. I cannot think of an ex player who is held in such low regard by our fanbase. 
    Lyle Taylor has probably surpassed him I’d say, but, Hasslebank is definitely incredibly unpopular. 
  • Options
    Apart from being at the ‘John Barnes’ end of his career when he joined us and appearing to all intents and purposes to be worn out, what has Hasselbaink supposed to have done to attract such vituperation from our fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Apart from being at the ‘John Barnes’ end of his career when he joined us and appearing to all intents and purposes to be worn out, what has Hasselbaink supposed to have done to attract such vituperation from our fans?
    I think his refusal to celebrate when he scored for us against Chelsea has a bearing on this + he really didn’t look interested in doing anything but picking up his wages in that dismal season with us

I will however say that he wasn’t the only dreadful signing that season that failed to deliver - Amdy Faye, Djimi Traore, Souleymane Diawara etc etc

My word, that was a dreadful season……
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    That Alan Pardew fella might be worth giving a few million to get us out of this division 
  • Options
    If not celebrating when scoring against his old club, and being paid to be useless makes him second to Taylor as a recipient of hatred then our fanbase has really gone mad.
    I get the feeling in Hasselbaink’s case people have got a kind of auto hatred without much of a reason why.

• Options
    He just didn't work out as a signing, I don't think he downed tools though just wasn't very good. 

As a manager he hasn't done anything to suggest he'd be a good choice for us 
  • Options
    I must be in the minority in that I woudl actully not be to upset if he was our next manager. Knows the league has done fairly well at Burton both times and has played at the very top. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    If not celebrating when scoring against his old club, and being paid to be useless makes him second to Taylor as a recipient of hatred then our fanbase has really gone mad.
    I get the feeling in Hasselbaink’s case people have got a kind of auto hatred without much of a reason why.

I can still picture him now, overweight, hands on hips having smashed another shot straight at the legs of the nearest defender, slowly walking his way back while play went on. He was a very exciting signing who never once put in any effort and looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.
    All that is likely to be true, but applies to others as well.
    I know I shouldn’t say it, and I am not touting Hasselbaink as the next manager, but it has always impressed me that he has been willing to start out in management at a humble level.
    John Barnes on the other hand thought he was good enough to start at Celtic, and also be an international manager before acquiring some degree of humility at Tranmere.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Chunes said:
    seth plum said:

I can still picture him now, overweight, hands on hips having smashed another shot straight at the legs of the nearest defender, slowly walking his way back while play went on. He was a very exciting signing who never once put in any effort and looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.
    All that is likely to be true, but applies to others as well.
    I know I shouldn’t say it, and I am not touting Hasselbaink as the next manager, but it has always impressed me that he has been willing to start out in management at a humble level.
    John Barnes on the other hand thought he was good enough to start at Celtic, and also be an international manager before acquiring some degree of humility at Tranmere.
    That ended well too
  • Options
    I must be in the minority in that I woudl actully not be to upset if he was our next manager. Knows the league has done fairly well at Burton both times and has played at the very top. 
    Reading between the lines on some comments after Adkins was sacked he was in the frame.

However he only lasted 11 months at QPR in the Championship after his first spell at Burton. Obviously the pressure at QPR is considerably more for success than at Burton.