Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - not in the running for manager says Cawley (summer 2022 p6)

Comments

• Options
    Never say never.
  • Options

On a long list of 'no thanks', he would be at the near top........

The ultimate "na your alrite mate" is probably nigel worthington.

I wouldnt say ian dowie as he doesnt count as a manager.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Most managers are ex players.
    But how many good ones were strikers? Can't think of any off hand, especially in the UK

Alex Ferguson
    Brian Clough
    Don Revie
    Kenny Dalglish
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited May 2014
    Madz said:

The thought of this just scares me. NO NO NO NO NO NO. I still havent' forgiven him for apologising to the Chelsea fans when he scored against them. We paid your wages you useless lump.

He scored?
  • Options
    Riga must get it. The players clearly like him, the football has been decent - at least they've tried to pass it - and the feel good factor of staying up could give us powerful momentum going into next season.
  • Options

But how many good ones were strikers? Can't think of any off hand, especially in the UK

Alex Ferguson
    Brian Clough
    Yeah but what have they ever won...
  • Options
    I don't care if he was a good player or not. Why should we employ someone in one of the most important positions in the club when he couldn't have cared less about us the last time? We can do better. We deserve better.
  • Options

Alex Ferguson
    Brian Clough
    Beat me to it, Amos.

Brian Clough was arguably the best English striker of all time. His goals per game ration was 0.916 - the highest of any player (who scored more than 200 goals) in English League history. He scored a total of 251 goals - the highest post war record at the time - not sure if it's been beaten since. And all that in a career that effectively ended when he was 27.

Reasonably successful as a manager too!
  • Options
    I would be absolutely horrified if this turns out to be true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DeeBee said:

How was Roland to know he was a flop with us? Doing research on the club, yes. Researching every player that's played for us and fan opinions incase they become a manager seems a bit weird. Also I do not want him to be our manager just find some of the logic a bit bizarre

By leaking stories to the press and gauging the fan reaction online ;)

I sincerely think thats a possibility, it's what I would do in his shoes.

If the fans like the idea - bring it in and be a hero. If they don't? The press get things wrong all the time!
  • Options
    Certainly made me smile when I read this thread, there's more chance of the club shop reintroducing Jimmy's shorts size, than him being our next manager.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    It may be possible for JFH to be coach of Charlton but only if he works for nothing (or donates all of his wages to the Charlton Upbeats) to acknowledge the total theft of wages that he 'earned' whilst as a player at Charlton under Dowie.

As a player, JFH had the worst attitude, a terrible moaner, negative, lazy and slow. Mr Billy Big Boots totally lacking in responsibility. His presence also blocked the development of younger Charlton players coming through the ranks.

It would be disastrous decision to employ JFH as coach. It is a similarly appalling prospect as Dennis Wise being coach at Charlton under Jimenesz and Slater. For all those holding off buying season tickets it would be a deciding factor not to purchase.

No way better to keep Jose !
  • Options
    Having just read the Karel Fraeye thread, perhaps the JFH spectre as head coach is raised to make Charlton supporters glad that JFH doesn't get the job and Charlton end up with Karel Fraeye ?!
  • Options
    I've heard that Marcus Bent is up for the job.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2014
    bobmunro said:

Alex Ferguson
    Brian Clough
    Beat me to it, Amos.

Brian Clough was arguably the best English striker of all time. His goals per game ration was 0.916 - the highest of any player (who scored more than 200 goals) in English League history. He scored a total of 251 goals - the highest post war record at the time - not sure if it's been beaten since. And all that in a career that effectively ended when he was 27.

I don't think it would much of an argument.

He played a grand total of 2 times for England.

Prolific goalscorer, but best? Come off it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    WSS said:

bobmunro said:

Alex Ferguson
    Brian Clough
    Beat me to it, Amos.

I don't think it would much of an argument.

He played a grand total of 2 times for England.

Prolific goalscorer, but best? Come off it.
    On one measure he was the best, no argument - goals per game. In the days of Charlton and Greaves (and no subs) his chances were somewhat limited. He was a bit outspoken even as a player and in those days the England team was picked by a committee of old farts at the FA - not the manager. The very reason he never got the England manager job.

Even I'm not old enough to remember him playing though!
  • Options
    Clough had a tremendous record as a goalscorer, but I believe he played most of his football in Division 2, for both Middlesborough and Sunderland. Jimmy Greaves strike rate is less impressive than Clough's, but when he left Chelsea to join AC Milan, aged just 21, he'd scored 124 goals in just 157 games, all in Division 1. He also scored 44 goals for England in just 57 games. Don't think "old big head" was in the same class as Greavesey.

I'm not old enough to have watched Clough play either, but I did get to see a bit of Greaves. A fantastic player in his prime.
  • Options
    If roland makes jfh manager he can have my season ticket back, rather karien be manager to be honest.
    By the way Karien I love you.
  • Options
    't'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014

Clough had a tremendous record as a goalscorer, but I believe he played most of his football in Division 2, for both Middlesborough and Sunderland. Jimmy Greaves strike rate is less impressive than Clough's, but when he left Chelsea to join AC Milan, aged just 21, he'd scored 124 goals in just 157 games, all in Division 1. He also scored 44 goals for England in just 57 games. Don't think "old big head" was in the same class as Greavesey.

I'm not old enough to have watched Clough play either, but I did get to see a bit of Greaves. A fantastic player in his prime.

Agree about Greaves - best player in the 6yd box I've ever seen.

I also don't believe the Div1/Div2 differential was as great then. Most players played for their home town club (Clough was born in Middlesbrough and then moved up the road to Sunderland after a falling out)) and the difference in wages would have been coppers. Players just didn't move clubs every couple of years as they do today. If Clough had been playing today he would have been in the Prem for sure.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Agree about Greaves - best player in the 6yd box I've ever seen.
    better than franny 'fox in the box' jeffers? (2.3mil)
  • Options
    I think Lucy Worsley should be our manager.

I love you Lucy.
  • Options
    Not a fan of Sangaard talking about potential managers
  • Options

The SLP asked TS a question and he answered it, not much more he could have done

The South London Press asked Charlton owner Thomas Sandgaard last week about the rumours of Hasselbaink being in the mix to succeed Nigel Adkins.

The US-based Dane told our publication last week that more than 100 applications had been received.

“Obviously he has been on the list [of potential candidates] but we’ve not had any talks with Jimmy,” said Sandgaard last Wednesday. “Despite the loss [to Charlton], he is obviously doing a good job. Good for him.”

Not much more he could have done? Surely you just say something like “we have been considering a list of potential candidates but Johnnie has done a brilliant job and that factors significantly into our thinking” 

It’s a pretty easy question to navigate and there’s no need to answer the question by revealing who is or isn’t on the list. 
  • Options
    So he's going to Union Royale Sportive Lixhe Visé?  Strange choice but I suppose anywhere is better than Burton.