Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evening Sub Standard

124»

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I mean, at least fucking Google it!
  • They wrote 2 pages of crap about Spurs, who would and wouldnt ground share. Presented as fact but not one London club made any comment.
  • Yep, it was just completely made up, and full of inaccuracies.

We shared with Palace 85-86.

We're apparently feasible as 'only 10k less than the lane' while Fulham are completely out of the question as 'far too small for Spurs' (Fulham capacity 1k less than us!!!)

Comes across as someone on work experience/unpaid intern being asked to fill space for the tabloid rag.
  • Interesting that yesterday in standard every London club refused to comment about a Tottenham ground share, yet today Standard have posted a comment from Ipswich saying that they would "seriously consider any proposal".

If forced to, who would you rather share with Ipswich or MK Franchise?
  • If we charged rent for the ground share, wouldn't that help with the FFP ?
  • vff said:

If we charged rent for the ground share, wouldn't that help with the FFP ?

They could upgrade our ground to 38000 just before so all there supporters can still go...sounds fair to me.
  • vff said:

It would indeed - I wonder what a reasonable rent would be? Perhaps more than the £1-2m per annum West Ham will be paying for the Olympic stadium?!
    I wonder what the club and fans think?
  • edited September 2014

vff said:

It would indeed - I wonder what a reasonable rent would be? Perhaps more than the £1-2m per annum West Ham will be paying for the Olympic stadium?!
    I wonder what the club and fans think?
    To be honest wouldn't bother me if we got a decent wedge out of it.

On topic though the standard is total garbage so never pick it up unless I'm low on toilet paper.

But was looking for the article bout ground share and came accross this which was good to read:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-boss-bob-peeters-can-spend-in-january-transfer-window--on-one-condition-9728535.html?origin=internalSearch

“We are happy with the squad but if we are still there, where we think we can be, we will need to do something because it is a long season. Then we can bring in some other players.

“I spoke to the owner a lot during the transfer window. He is very big on the fans and if he feels there is a good vibe around Charlton and the supporters, then he is happy. He is pleased with the way things are going and we will try to continue and try to keep improving"
  • Oh dear, turns out we lost
  • even free it to expensive
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Oh dear, turns out we lost

Peeters out.
  • If only it was soft and absorbent...
  • Absolutely despise this rag.
  • What I also love is the campaigns around poverty, FGM and helping get London's gang members of the street. Then they hit you with a double page feature on the 'Super Rich in London. Who are the new cool kids in Primrose Hill'

Pah
  • cabbles said:

Oh dear, turns out we lost

Terrible, terrible stuff
  • The Evening Standard newspaper has announced plans to drop its daily print edition and go weekly.

The London paper launched in its original incarnation in 1827, and became free of charge in 2009.

An email to staff on Wednesday said more home working, and the availability of wi-fi on the Tube, were among the factors that had harmed its fortunes.

It said "a proposed new weekly newspaper would replace the daily publication".

The paper's circulation has dropped from 850,000 to 275,000 in the past five years, and it has lost £84.5m over the latest six years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyrr0yex40yo

• edited May 29
    I picked up a standard last week at St Pancreas and couldn’t believe how bad it was .The entire paper was about 8 pages thick ( three of which was all about Arsenal & Spurs so no change there) . They should scrap it entirely. The print media has been dead for a long time . 
  • The Evening Who?
  • I'd forgotten how improved internet and wi-fi access on the tub would impact papers like the Standard, which now don't have the sort of quality journalism that give more information and analysis over news websites.

Even if you have the sort of job where you aren't on a computer or can't look at your phone all day, you can easily catch up with your phone on the news and sport on your way home, even in tunnels.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll miss the crosswords  :/
  • My  cat will be the only one disappointed in our house. 
  • Was never absorbant enough for my liking...

Never did us or any London clubs outside of the Arse, Spuds, Chelski and Wet Spam collective, any favours and when so it was begrudgingly, so good riddance to the Sub Standard.
  • Never the same after the Bristow cartoon strip finished (early 2000s?). I blame the Great Tea Trolley Disaster of '67.