Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evening Sub Standard

Comments

• The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

Has the same sport pages in all the different editions around the country.
    That's poor. It should be a national brand but delivered locally. Radio does it.
  • The Standard is an appalling local rag. This is brought even more starkly into focus by the fact that it serves the greatest city in the world.

New York?
    No. (Despite the lying propaganda about it being the City That Never Sleeps).
  • edited April 2014

The Standard is an appalling local rag. This is brought even more starkly into focus by the fact that it serves the greatest city in the world.

New York?
    Nah ;0)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1690622
  • The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

That's poor. It should be a national brand but delivered locally. Radio does it.
    The Metro's even worse. Today they led with a guy in India who eats bricks. Cutting edge journalism
  • Everyone is interested in the PL. They are giving what the public want. If we were PL we wouldn't give a shit about the lower leagues either.

Which would be a totally valid point, if they did not have a report on Sheff Utd v Brentford in there...

• cabbles said:

The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

The Metro's even worse. Today they led with a guy in India who eats bricks. Cutting edge journalism
    How does he eat bricks?
  • Everyone is interested in the PL. They are giving what the public want. If we were PL we wouldn't give a shit about the lower leagues either.

Which would be a totally valid point, if they did not have a report on Sheff Utd v Brentford in there...

Talking about the paper in general not just yesterday's addition.
  • cabbles said:

He'll cement his place in history doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

So that's the only report they have ever had about a lower league game, and they just happened to put it in yesterday's edition just to p**s you off... ;-)
  • Newsshopper, far better. Local gossip, local football and a house section more representitve of normal peoples abodes.
    I always "read" the Standard every night and the Metro in the morning. Passes the time.
  • I read the metro when I can, never bother with the Evening Standard as I get news through the day.

Not too bothered about the fact they don't cover Charlton all that much as I get to see enough about it in here.
  • Be interesting to see how London Live covers football, they're promising that the Saturday show called 14 to 1 will give each club equal time on screen.
  • cabbles said:

How does he eat bricks?
    Lost in translation I expect.
    Really it was just a packet of Weetabix. On second thoughts, while you could build a house with those things you certainly wouldn't want to eat them. I'd rather snack on a sandfaced Fletton.
  • edited April 2014

Everyone is interested in the PL. They are giving what the public want. If we were PL we wouldn't give a shit about the lower leagues either.

So that's the only report they have ever had about a lower league game, and they just happened to put it in yesterday's edition just to p**s you off... ;-)

Yes.
  • Ours was a significant result and you would expect it to have some mention in a London paper. The paper has done some decent reports on Charlton but it is variable.
  • edited April 2014
    cabbles said:

I know a guy who shits bricks, think I'll write to the editor just in case they want a follow up story
  • cabbles said:

Alas, I didn't read the article to find out how he ate the bricks, I imagine he probably hit a wall at some point. I'm amazed at some of the shit they're happy to go with. I used to work with a guy who said he would wash his hands before he pulled up his trousers after doing a 'number 2'. Obviously he could only do it in single cubicle toilets, but he was actually prepared to shuffle over to the sink with his trousers round his ankles, wash hands then finish up. The Metro would call that journalism
  • Sponsored links:

If you look at the attendance figures, as many go to Football League games at a weekend as go to Premier League games. Yes, there are more FL games so the numbers are spread more thinly but the interest in non-PL football is there. However, the Standard has no interest in being a proper London paper, it plays it safe in the same way the supermarkets used to stock only Carling, Heineken, Stella, etc. If those who don't want to be fed a diet of PL pap don't make their voices heard, that's all we'll get.
  • cabbles said:

It was The Metro we were talking about - it helps to expand the 'show previous quotes'.
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Alas, I didn't read the article to find out how he ate the bricks, I imagine he probably hit a wall at some point. I'm amazed at some of the shit they're happy to go with. I used to work with a guy who said he would wash his hands before he pulled up his trousers after doing a 'number 2'. Obviously he could only do it in single cubicle toilets, but he was actually prepared to shuffle over to the sink with his trousers round his ankles, wash hands then finish up. The Metro would call that journalism
    So he was happy to clean the more often than not wet loo floor with his trousers rather than pull them up...........yeh that makes sense :-0
  • I think you are getting the Standard & The Metro ( part of the same group) mixed up with a proper newspaper. They are freesheets & nothing more. There is no consistency in the sports reporting for any teams outside of the Prem. They exist for advertising revenue . End of story. No point in getting upset about it to be honest.
  • FIRMANI9 said:

I think you are getting the Standard & The Metro ( part of the same group) mixed up with a proper newspaper. They are freesheets & nothing more. There is no consistency in the sports reporting for any teams outside of the Prem. They exist for advertising revenue . End of story. No point in getting upset about it to be honest.

The News Hopper is a freesheet also.

At least there are some proper sport and news stories standing out from the filler rubbish.

• FIRMANI9 said:

I think you are getting the Standard & The Metro ( part of the same group) mixed up with a proper newspaper. They are freesheets & nothing more. There is no consistency in the sports reporting for any teams outside of the Prem. They exist for advertising revenue . End of story. No point in getting upset about it to be honest.

If nobody picks it up then it goes out of business. It used to be the same when it was paid for, lets be honest.
  • RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

So he was happy to clean the more often than not wet loo floor with his trousers rather than pull them up...........yeh that makes sense :-0
    The story gave us all plenty of ammunition to take the piss, and we did. Perhaps you'll see it in The Metro on Monday.

If you look at the attendance figures, as many go to Football League games at a weekend as go to Premier League games. Yes, there are more FL games so the numbers are spread more thinly but the interest in non-PL football is there. However, the Standard has no interest in being a proper London paper, it plays it safe in the same way the supermarkets used to stock only Carling, Heineken, Stella, etc. If those who don't want to be fed a diet of PL pap don't make their voices heard, that's all we'll get.
    Every time I overhear a conversation about football its never about the football league.

Papers are aimed at the general public. The evening standard is aimed at the same audience because London is full of people who are not from London.

Its only my opinion but i don't see the standard as a local paper. Its a paper aimed at the same audience as the Sun and mirror but only given out for free in London.
  • FFS it's free. I like the backpage crossword.
  • Barely got a mention on 5Live either.

Leeds are probably the biggest club currently outside the Premier League, you know it's getting bad when the Media's disinterest in us is strong enough to cancel out even their interest in a club like Leeds.